Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    How would I go about finding the death of a Peter Bartle born 1827 in France. He moved to Wales when he was a small child, Married Maria Brown and went to live in America with his children. I have been led to believe that he went to New Zeland and that is where he died.

hope somebody can help

Sue
    Well, I found the marriage in Abergavenny, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire in Dec qtr 1852 (vol 11a pg 126)...

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    Hi Peter was still in the UK in 1871.. by the next census he had left. as to when he left America or died in NZ sorry I do not know. Peter and Maria had 6 children.names and year of birth approx Emma E (1853) Julia Ann (1868) Laura (1865) Maria junior (1860) Mary (1862) Thomas (1855)
    I found an immigration record for Marie, Emma, and Thomas Bartle. They traveled from Wales to Pennsylvania on the "Webster" out of Liverpool arriving in New York on 3 Jun 1857. I can only assume she went to a relative and may have returned later to Wales before returning after the 1871 census...

However, if she went to Pennsylvania in 1857, it may be where they went later, as well. At least it's a place to start...

More information:

During the trip in 1857, she appears to be traveling with James Price, a miner, and his wife Ann, as well as another miner named George Heard. All are listed as going from Wales to Pennsylvania and are listed in numerical sequence in the passenger list. Marie is 27, Emma is 5, and Thomas is 3...

SBSFamilyhistory

thanks that appears to be Peter's wife and children. Umm I wonder where he was. I will have to try and see if I can find records for their return to the US after 1871. fingers crossed.

SBSFamilyhistory

I have found a possible listing for Peter on Castle Garden. Does anyone know how I could gain more information?

Peter Bartle
    Engineer
    2 July 1856
    Albert Gallatin

as Peter was born in 1827 this could be him.

thanks in anticipation

Sue

Procat

Hi Sue,

Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
    Destination: United States of America
    Place of Origin: England
    Ship Name: Albert Gallatin

Peter Bartle, Age 29, Male, Engineer, Country to which severally belong England, Country in which they intend to inhabit United States of America, Upper Deck

SBSFamilyhistory

thanks Procat

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Peter Bartle death

My great-great-grandfather Peter Bartle (born 1827) died in 1876 in Warrington, UK (at that time part of Lancashire but now Cheshire). This plunged his family into financial difficulties.

His widow Maria (nee Brown) and her family are located in LLanwenarth Ultra, Abergavenny, in 1881; the surname has been transcribed as Barlle in the census records. Laura Bartle was visiting friends in Warrington in the 1881 census record.

Peter's son Thomas emigrated to NZ and his mother and sisters followed him in 1882, and never returned to the UK. Their various death, marriages etc can be found in NZ online historical records. One daughter Mary Bartle died in the UK sometime before her father, about 1872. Thomas went to Victoria, Australia briefly where he met and married but he then returned to NZ where he raised a large family.

I understand the Bartle family spent very little time in the USA. The family can be found in Warrington in the 1871 census. In 1861 they were living in Blaenavon, but their online census records seem to be under the surname "Beetle".

A very, very warm welcome to Britgen and thanks for the update. Re. the death of daughter Mary -

Pontypool Free Press and Herald of the Hills, 13 Dec 1879

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3672354/3672356/5/

See column 5 "Deaths"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for that. Too easy to get dates muddled up. Thomas Bartle left for NZ shortly after his sister's death, on the Ben Nevis, and arrived in Auckland early 1880. He had a terrible time finding work but eventually was able to send for his mother and sisters who arrived in 1882. His youngest sister Julia Ann was my great grandmother. Between them all, the Bartle siblings have loads of descendants.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast