Thread: BLAIR's & BING.

WallaceB

Smile BLAIR's & BING.

I NEED HELP!
    Alexander BLAIR b. <1835> married Margaret (Margret) Blair b. 07 Feb 1836 supposedly in Carlisle England on 18 Jul 1864.
    I can find no record of this marriage so presume that either no marriage took place or it happened some where else. Can anyone come up with some details of these two?

Andrew Millar BLAIR b. 03 Feb 1874 married Pauline Bing b. <1871> in New York USA. 4 children are known. Margaret L Blair b. 26 Apr 1898; Janet Rotha Blair b. 08 Nov 1899; Rotha Jeannette Blair b. <1901>; & George Davis Blair b. <1907>.
    USA census records go to 1930 and I can follow them to that date and then a brick wall. Can anyone help?

Andrew was my Grandfather’s brother, and Alexander & Margaret were their parents.
    I live in New Zealand.

JenniLl

Carlisle is not far from Gretna, it would be worth checking the records.

Jenni

JustJean

I wonder if you've seen the passport application for Jeannette Rotha Blair, dob 8 Nov 1899, place of birth: Clifton, New Jersey, date of application: 15 Jul 1916? This states some interesting tidbits....she was intending to travel to England to see her grandmother and to Ireland to see her sister. She planned to sail from NYC on board the SS Finland departing 19 July 1916. Her identification witness was a Joseph Bing with a NYC address. There is even a photograph of the sixteen year old! From your posted listing of siblings I'm leaning heavily towards Rotha and Janet being one and the same individual.

Best wishes
    Jean

WallaceB

Hi Jean,
    Just a quick note to your above comment. I am sure that there were 2 girls in this family. They are listed seperately in many census dates. Also there are seperate birth records. I am still trying to find more on this family branch. It is another year and another stone to turn and look under.
    regards,
    Wallace

JustJean

Hi Wallace

I have to gently but strongly disagree with you!

The US Census records as indexed online are poorly done to be sure but these are the indexed listings for your Janet.

1900 Janet R. BLAIR age 9/12
    1910 Janette R. BLAIS age 10
    1920 Juhett R. CLAIR age 20
    1930 Jeanette Rotha BLAIR age 29 resident in household of BLAIR family but enumerated as married at age 23.

There is however apparently another sister you have not mentioned in your original post.....by name of Florence C. Blair.

I truly believe you are trying to create two people out of one Janet!

My accounting of children to Andrew and Pauline consists of:
    Margaret, Janet, George, and Florence.

If I can assist you by forwarding any further census data please PM me your email contact address.

Best wishes
    Jean