Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cpl RJ Ritchie

palmbay

Default Cpl RJ Ritchie

Can anyone help locate the resting place of a Queen's Royal Irish Hussar called Cpl Jock Ritchie? (Cpl RJ Ritchie) He died as a result of a road accident in Paderborn Germany in 1971. The accident took place on 4th October 1971 and he was rushed to RAF Halton in UK where he died 3 weeks later on 24th October 1971. His wife Rose, we believe, had him buried either in Swanage or Wareham but not sure, also we believe he had a son called David. There are many ex-members of his Regiment from that day, that would like to find out this information so if anyone can help it would be appreciated.
    Many Thanks, Mick H

Quote Originally Posted by palmbay View Post
    Can anyone help locate the resting place of a Queen's Royal Irish Hussar called Cpl Jock Ritchie? (Cpl RJ Ritchie) He died as a result of a road accident in Paderborn Germany in 1971. The accident took place on 4th October 1971 and he was rushed to RAF Halton in UK where he died 3 weeks later on 24th October 1971. His wife Rose, we believe, had him buried either in Swanage or Wareham but not sure, also we believe he had a son called David. There are many ex-members of his Regiment from that day, that would like to find out this information so if anyone can help it would be appreciated.
    Many Thanks, Mick H
    If people want to provide information that includes potentially living people, please remember that it must be sent by PM, and not posted on the forum.

Where have you looked? Have you checked his death cert? I have several where the place of burial is pencilled into the margin. Doesn't the Regiment know?

Lesley

Reputation beyond repute

Firstly, as Lesley suggested, ask the regiment.

Secondly, the general approach is to enquire of the Cemeteries Departments of the local authorities concerned.

daggers

If you are approaching the regiment, you should ask if they had a regimental magazine at the time, which might have reported the incident and possibly the funeral, especially if there were 'military honours'.
    D

palmbay

Default Cpl RJ Ritchie

Thank you all for being so helpful. Yes, the Regiment has been approached but as it was so long ago details are sketchy and the funeral was not recorded in the Regimental Crossbelts magazine issue of 1972, just the fact that he died. We cannot find details of his surviving family either, even with paid searches across UK, hence no death cert. We are unsure as to where he was buried so cannot approach the local parish records, all of these things have been tried this was a last ditch effort. Last night however, I found another excellent source for this type of information and am awaiting a reply. This information is for a bunch of ex QRIH soldiers that wish to visit his grave and pay their respects, nothing ominous I can assure you.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

I check to see if he is listed among the 760 Road Traffic Accident Fatalities
    in Germany, but he's not listed.

https://www.palacebarracksmemorialgar...ermany-RTA.htm

Keith

Thank you all for being so helpful. Yes, the Regiment has been approached but as it was so long ago details are sketchy and the funeral was not recorded in the Regimental Crossbelts magazine issue of 1972, just the fact that he died. We cannot find details of his surviving family either, even with paid searches across UK, hence no death cert. We are unsure as to where he was buried so cannot approach the local parish records, all of these things have been tried this was a last ditch effort. Last night however, I found another excellent source for this type of information and am awaiting a reply. This information is for a bunch of ex QRIH soldiers that wish to visit his grave and pay their respects, nothing ominous I can assure you.
    Approach the Swanage and Wareham Councils and find out who administers their cemetaries - they should have registers of who they have, and where. In the cases I've done this, it's been the Parks and Gardens Dept.
    I don't think anyone suspects you of anything ominous - we just have a flat rule about info on living people going by private message rather than being displayed on the public forum.
    Good luck,
    lesley

palmbay

Quote Originally Posted by keith9351 View Post
    I check to see if he is listed among the 760 Road Traffic Accident Fatalities
    in Germany, but he's not listed.

https://www.palacebarracksmemorialgar...ermany-RTA.htm

Keith
    Keith, I have already checked with the custodian of this excellent site and there are 2,600 names from RTA's in UK still to go up on that site shortly, he is waiting for the Webmaster to return from extended leave in Australia. Cpl Ritchie is number 670 on page 19 due to be published of UK RTA's as he died in UK not Germany. Just now waiting for the information on his final resting place to arrive. Thanks again to all

palmbay

Just received am email that Cpl RJ Ritchie was cremated in Amersham, Bucks on 1st Nov 71, his ashes were scattered so there is no grave to visit and pay our respects. Many thanks to all that helped track him down.

Default RJ RITCHIE

Just received am email that Cpl RJ Ritchie was cremated in Amersham, Bucks on 1st Nov 71, his ashes were scattered so there is no grave to visit and pay our respects. Many thanks to all that helped track him down.
    Hi, not sure if you will ever receive this notification as it was posted so long ago but I am married to David and my Mother in Law is Rose. If you would like to get in touch we would very much like to hear from you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast