Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jenny=]

Question William Charles Francis - Help please!

Im trying to find out about my great grandad, William Charles Francis, born 21st July 1909. I've looked for birth certificates with this information but nothing has come up. I understand that he was brought up by 2 aunts (maybe his dads sisters) , one was possibly named Gett Bowen, they lived in Elizabeth street Llanelli. I've been told that his Dad might have been a sea faring man. This is all I know up until the point when he married Elsie Mary Baker on 5th June 1934 at Greenfield Baptist Church Llanelli. After this he moved to Oldbury West Midlands, which is where my grandad and aunties were born.

MarkJ

The way forward is to first double check the details you have I think.

Where is the date of birth from? Specifically, the year. A death certificate for example may not give a correct age and thus you may be searching the wrong year.

Likewise the name - it is possible he was registered as William Francis for example or even that he swapped the first names and was originally Charles William....
    I didn't find a William Charles Francis in that time period on FreeBMD, but there are a couple of Charles William Francis entries - but none that leaped out at me (they were in Croydon and West Ham).

Have you got a copy of the marriage certificate? That should supply more details regarding his father for example. It should confirm if he was indeed in a seafaring profession.
    If you haven't got that, I would suggest it is the first thing you will need to do to trace William Charles.

Mark

jenny=]

Thanks for your reply.
    I got the date of birth from the death records.
    I've found the marriage certificate and it doesn't say the fathers name or profession. Ive asked my aunties (his daughters) and they dont know anymore information.

The GRO doesn't show any births for a William Charles Francis in the July 1/4 for 1909 but it does have William Charles Francis birth July 1/4 1908 registration district Newport M which is not too far from Llanelli is it?
    Christina

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    The GRO doesn't show any births for a William Charles Francis in the July 1/4 for 1909 but it does have William Charles Francis birth July 1/4 1908 registration district Newport M which is not too far from Llanelli is it?
    Christina
    I saw this one as well but didn't get a chance to post the reply as I was interrupted. This could be the right one, if the dob was essentially assumed from the marriage certificate that was filled out by someone else who just guessed the age - William would still be the right age on the m cert if his birth date fell in the right time frame of the marriage certificate.

jenny=]

thanks ill have a look at those.
    Is there any records I could look at that would say if he changed his name?

v.wells

It is not a legal matter to change your name. You only need to notify your debtors.

People often switched their names around for whatever reason or went by a "nick name".

If the father's name is missing from birth cert then he was more likely illegitimate. If you order the marriage cert the mother may have been a witness and be mentioned on it.
    Last edited by v.wells; 15-11-2008 at 8:46 PM. Reason: added more

jenny=]

It's been a while but I've finally found some information.
    In the 1911 census there is a William Charles Francis aged 1, he living with William and Emily Overy and classed as a relatives nephew. Emilys maiden name was evans. My family say that this all adds up however I'm unsure of where to go next. As he was born illegitamately will I be able to find a birth certificate?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Newport M which is not too far from Llanelli is it?
    Christina
    Just short of 64 miles up the motorway

Mutley

There should certainly be a birth certificate but it will depend on what name was entered on it.
    He may not have been registered under Francis.

His birth place is stated as Pontarddulais, Carmarthenshire. I don't know the registration district, Genuki may help, I believe there are also some parish records available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast