Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Red face Looking for books on Wandsworth and Islington

I am looking for books on the local history of the London area. Most specifially Wandsworth and possibly Islington. I really could do with those books that have old photographs in, particularly of the Victorian era and WW1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Alison

Thomasin

Having had two sons with an interest in transport, I would suggest books on trams or, later, buses. If it's pictures you want, these usually have good backgrounds behind the vehicles, and if anyone finds me poring over these books, I'm generally looking at the houses and shops and the people on the pavement.

After writing the above, I went to raid younger son's bookshelf. Lo and behold there was 'Wandsworth and Battersea Tramways'. These books are brought out by the Middleton Press, but I can't see Islington in their titles. In the Wandsworth one, the photographs seem to date from 1909 to the late 1950s.

Around your way, do you have those sellers of old postcards, set out in counties? Those could be useful.

Thomasin

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

There is a book called Islington Past and a few other books about Islington in many London bookstores and probably on Amazon and other online bookstores.

I have ancestors who lived in South Islington for 10 years from 1888 to 1898 and my great grandmother was born in Islington.

A lot of residential streets in Islington are quite quiet back streets tucked away in the inner London suburb.

I have some Islington things but I cannot share them due to copyright laws.

Ben

Red face

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I am speaking as someone who once (about 15 years ago) visited the centre of London. I know nothing of the area but a large branch of my tree were based there. I need to find out as much as possible about the places, shops, houses. Any interviews or pictures of people long gone would also be very useful. I'm trying to put everything into social context. I know you can get books that do 'then and now' pics of various different parts of the town that show how they've changed (they do for worcestershire anyway).

I am also hoping that I may find some of the roads and places that I have discovered in my research mentioned.

I will have a look at Parish Chest...thanks Bo Peep

Many thanks

Alison

Jan1954

In the interim, you could lose yourself for a couple of days having a look at British History Online

Brilliant! Thanks Jan

Jan1954

But remember - it is still nothing like the real thing. Computers can crash. Go for the books - they will always be with you.

That's what I thought!.....it's just deciding which ones!!!!

Hugh Thompson

Hi Alison,take a look here at Internet Archive.
    Hugh.

https://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...iatype%3Atexts

Red face

Thanks Hugh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast