lucygrasshopper

Default Incoming Passengers to UK: Spanion & Diacono

Hi - I am trying to tidy up some loose ends.

I found the following on incoming passenger lists to the UK (recently released information).

Mrs. A. Spanion - from Brisbane, Australia, arrived in England on 24/9/1931. She gave 29 Twyford St. Caledonian Rd N1 as her future address: Her original home was India. A British Subject. Occupation: Home Duties: Age 50

Then I found: Selina Diacono - from Brisbane Australia, arrived in England on 26/6/1936.
    She gave C/- 47 Saley Park Road, Sutton - Surrey as her future address: Her original home was India. A British Subject. Occupation: Stenographer: Age 39.

From my research I believe the above are Mother and daughter - by doing some maths, the mother would have been about 17 when daughter, Selina was born.

Selina married Hugo Diacono in Bangalore, India in 1918. Her father's name is mentioned as Simon Spanion. No Mother's name listed.

The plot thickens - I have Hugo's history and he was demobbed from the Indian Army in 1921 and quit India for the UK sans wife, Selina. It is obvious from my own research, that Selina was looking for her husband. She probably found him because in 1936 he moved house and by 1938 had applied to change his name to Deacon.

I have all of Hugo's History - his war recordsds, His marriage certificate, his name change by Deed Poll etc. The 1918 marriage was a Catholic marriage, so no divorce.

Such being the case, I have a conjectured theory as to why he left his new wife, for keeps, after leaving the British Indian Army...one clue to the conjecture is - there were no children born to this very quick marriage.

Problem. I have searched high and low for Selina Diacono (nee Spanion), and cannot find her leaving the UK to return to India. I cannot find if she stayed on in the UK.

She reportedly died ca 1962-3, and someone notified Hugo of her death. Immediately, he married the love of his life with whom he had lived from 1926...then he died in 1966.

I have Hugo's information...but because of "family secrecy", the tight lipped relatives kept Hugo's secret and there was nothing written, kept, or even in Oral History, about this Selina Diacono (nee Spanion).

I trust I have explained the above sufficiently for someone to give me a lead.

Selina is the one I am looking for - her death details would help - anything. Did she die in the UK or did she return to India.

Thanks in anticipation
    Lucy

Procat

A check of the death records in the U.K. for 1961 to 1964 only found this:

December Q 1962
    Diacono Herbert J, 61, Romford, 5a 468

lucygrasshopper

Default Incoming Passengers to UK: Spanion & Diacono

Hi Procat,

Yes - I know this one. He is the son of my Great Grandfather's brother...

If Selina Diaccono (nee Spanion) was classed as British, it would seem I should perhaps find her death in Bangalore, India under overseas deaths...I haven't.

Thanks for the try.
    Waleric

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Selina Spanion (1897-1975) is the mother of Jill Alison Diacono (1936-2001). So, it looks like they did have a child before Hugh left to become Deacon and live with Sibyl. Interestingly, Hugo's name is not on Jill's birth certificate, though her last name is given as Diacono. I have her dying in April 1975 under the name Selina Diacono. She was the daughter of Annie and Simon Spanion, sister of Adele (Adolphine) and Rosie (Rosalie).