A fountain of knowledge

Default gibbs jewell-ilfracombe

i am tracing my grandfathers stepfather :

ernest coles b1893
    mother elizabeth coles married george gibbs jewell b.1866 in 1899.
    they lived in richmond avenue ilfracombe and he worked in a furniture shop/repair .
    we believe elizabeth died in 1907 ,but have knowledge of george of his business .

can anyone help

dean

bumblebee

There is a George Gibbs Jewell aged 52, seaman on the incoming passenger lists for 1917, address 5 Pretoria Terrace? Ilfracombe. (from Lisbon to Liverpool)

Bumblebee

A fountain of knowledge

wow ,fantastic - on the case ! thanks

A fountain of knowledge

thanks bb ,have you the name of the ship ?

bumblebee

Hi Dean

It is The Amazon of Royal Mail Steam Packet Company Ltd - arrived in Liverpool 8th September 1917.

Bumblebee

AnnB

From the birth, marriage and death notices in the North Devon Journal of the 6th June 1907

Births:-
    JEWELL - May 3 at 7, Horne Rd, Ilfracombe the wife of George Gibbs Jewell of a son.
    Deaths:-
    JEWELL - May 7, at 7 Horne Road, Ilfracombe, Francis George infant son of George and Elizabeth Jewell.
    JEWELL - May 26, at 7 Horne Road, Ilfracombe, Elizabeth wife of George Gibbs Jewell aged 42

A sad tale, poor George losing his wife and baby son in the space of a couple of weeks.

Best wishes
    Ann

A fountain of knowledge

thanks bb ,

A fountain of knowledge

ann,
    thank you for help , as far as we can tell there was no other children other than my grandfather (adopted by george) so i think this brings to an end that branch of the 'tree'
    i intend to find their burial place to pay our respects ,she never knew that her son had 11 children and 60 grandchildren !.
    strange world ,without any knowledge of my grandparents family etc, my wife and i spent part of our honeymoon in Ilfacombe .

i still have not found george's death date or place ,so still a little way to go

thanks again

dean

AnnB

Hello Dean

I've also found this marriage entry which seems as if it ought to belong to you as the address is Horne Road, Ilfracombe (although it does read as if 'Mrs Jewell' was still alive - they would usually put 'and the late Mrs Jewell'). It is taken from the North Devon Journal of the 9th October 1913 and Ashford is one of the adjoining parishes to Barnstaple. Probably has nothing to do with you whatsoever.........

JEWELL - EASTON - Oct.4 at St Peters Church, Ashford, by the Rev. Williams, Ernest Reginald Jewell, son of Mr and Mrs Jewell of Horne Rd, Ilfracombe to Emily Catherine Easton, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs James Easton of High St, Barnstaple.

Best wishes
    Ann

A fountain of knowledge

thank s ann, not sure ,possibly a relative george was born in ilfracombe, but i will pursue just in case !!!

dean