Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPS List?

Neil Reynolds

Question OPS List?

Is there a list of One Place Studies like there is for One Name Studies?

I ask because there are two places that I possibly have enough information to at least make a start on, but wouldn't want to duplicate the efforts of others. I guess the ideal is a GOOPS to go with the GOONS!

Neil

John

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Reynolds
    Neil
    That's an interesting one Neil, I've never heard of one but can see the use.
    Perhaps time for you to set up "gOOPS"

Or could it perhaps be associated with the OPC scheme in some way? They would seem natural bed-fellows.

John

Rod Neep

We touched on this on the mailing list a few weeks ago (since which I have been a bit busy with other things), but what I did do, is register the domain names one-place.org and one-place.org.uk (although as yet, neither are attached to real web pages).

What I would foresee, is a web page with:
    1. Information on how to go about conducting a one-place study, things to be included, etc.
    2. A list of exisiting one-place study web sites, with links to them.
    It needn't be anything at all complicated. Just a menu system with countries / counties / places.

And erm... all it needs is someone (or some people) to maintain the site and add new places as and when they come up.

By the way, I don't see any need whatsoever for a "formal" membership.

Regards
    Rod

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Neep

Regards
    Rod
    Heavens no, it needn't be anything very different from a surname interest list, place and contact, maybe web address as well and that would do it.

John

I ask because there are two places that I possibly have enough information to at least make a start on, but wouldn't want to duplicate the efforts of others. I guess the ideal is a GOOPS to go with the GOONS!

Neil
    There is a list on John Palmer's web site here. However, I suspect that there's probably more going on that people haven't registered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Neep
    We touched on this on the mailing list a few weeks ago (since which I have been a bit busy with other things), but what I did do, is register the domain names one-place.org and one-place.org.uk (although as yet, neither are attached to real web pages).

What I would foresee, is a web page with:
    1. Information on how to go about conducting a one-place study, things to be included, etc.
    2. A list of exisiting one-place study web sites, with links to them.
    It needn't be anything at all complicated. Just a menu system with countries / counties / places.

And erm... all it needs is someone (or some people) to maintain the site and add new places as and when they come up.

Regards
    Rod
    Like Rod, I've been a bit busy (collection of deadlines all at once plus a massive amount of new Whitsome data) since that came up, but if I remember rightly, we even had an offer of a web master...
    I'll check the list archives and see who that was.

Neil Reynolds

Thumbs up

Thank you Lesley. With the information you've provided, plus your example of Whitsome I now have a much better idea of where to start. Just need to get up and do it now. I'll let this forum know how I get on... but don't hold your breath!

Then there's Rod's open challenge about his domain names to consider... but one thing at a time I feel.

Regards, Neil

Thank you Lesley. With the information you've provided, plus your example of Whitsome I now have a much better idea of where to start. Just need to get up and do it now. I'll let this forum know how I get on... but don't hold your breath!

Then there's Rod's open challenge about his domain names to consider... but one thing at a time I feel.

Regards, Neil
    It all takes more time than we think - I'm still sorting out data gathered in a frantic week in Edinburgh in the summer when I actually managed to transcribe a census a day!

Patrisia

Hi all,

Just to add that I am still lurking and collecting stuff about Smalley, DBY.
    The website is still an embryo

Patrisia

Guy Etchells

What I like about a one place study is the way that it connects local history and family history.
    I have often felt that it is virtually impossible to study family history without undertaking a certain amount of local history the two walk hand in hand.
    Cheers
    Guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast