mafletcheruk

Question Anybody heard of Stoneylow, Stoney Low?

I am trying to narrow down the birth registration district of my greatgrandfather, John Burton, due to the common name. He died in a village in Northants called East Farndon, on 8th July 1931, aged 62.

On the 1901 census (Civil Parish - Great Bowden, Ecclesiastical parish - St Peters, District of Market Harborough, Leicestershire) his place of birth is given as Staffs Stoneylow, which I have understood to mean a place called Stoneylow in Staffordshire. I'm pretty sure I'm not misreading the handwriting.

However, I can't find Stoneylow in any Staffordshire birth registration district. The closest I have come is a small farm called Stoney Low farm near a village called Waterfall.

Another reason for needing to be sure of the area is that the name "John Welsh Burton" appears on his death certificate, "John Welch Burton" appears on his widow's death cert (she died after him), but I can't find a John Welch/Welsh Burton or a John W Burton born in the Staffs area in c1869.

I am waiting for the marriage certificate, which I identified from the fact that he appears on the relevant register index as John Wel(c/s)h Burton marrying my greatgrandmother, so I'm hoping that might lead to clues about him/his father.etc..

A fountain of knowledge

Hi,

[can't find a John Welch/Welsh Burton or a John W Burton born in the Staffs area in c1869.]

I see a John W. Burton age 2 on the 1871 census for Cheadle Staffs, born in Cheadle. Not that close to Waterfall, but. . . .
    The same family is on the 1881 census as Morton, and it does say Morton. Odd. John W. born Cheddleton. Lists lots of siblings for John W., if you know names for any.

I saved the images if you want them sent.

Peggy

mafletcheruk

Red face

Hi Peggy,

many thanks for your reply. I would appreciate it if you would post me the images you have saved.

I'm hoping that the marriage certificate will throw up some clues, because I know nothing of my greatgrandfather prior to him turning up in East Farndon as the landlord of the Bell Inn (now a private residence) at some point in the early 1900s, when he was already married with 1 child, a son called Ernest/Earnest (my grandmother, Emily Elizabeth, was born later, in 1907).

In your experience, do you find that the birthplace that shows on a Census entry doesn't necessarily equate to an identifiable sub-district/district for registration purposes? Even GENUKI doesn't have Stoneylow.

I have saved the Census entry for 1891 for John Burton if you would like to see it (for a second opinion). The death certificate details were my transcription.

mafletcheruk

Of course Peggy, when I said post I meant e-mail (sorry!)

A fountain of knowledge

Smile

Hi,

Sending them now. I had a look at the 1891, and it does say "Stoney Low."

[In your experience, do you find that the birthplace that shows on a Census entry doesn't necessarily equate to an identifiable sub-district/district for registration purposes?]

Absolutely! Sometimes it doesn't equate to any place on earth.
    The historian for Badsey, Worcs told me that one person born there is shown on a census as born in "Goodsey." And people don't always know where they were born, especially if the family moved when they were young.

Cheers,

Peggy

tonyh200

It may not be relevant given the census bias towards Cheadle so far, but Streetmap finds another Stoney Low near Keele - see <https://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=378975&Y=343880&A=Y&Z=3>, zooming to the 1000m scale map to show the name.
    --
    Tony

MARIA LUCKING

Default Stoney Lowe

Hello
    there is an old farm house caleed Stoney Lowe hall in longsdon near to leek in Noth Staffordshire. if you look up thisisstaffordshire on the net all one word and find the link to the leek post and times you will be able to search for the property as it has been sold through auction. the post and times may be able to tell you who the estate agents were if you cant find it if it is the same place as they may still have some details on it. 01538399599 you may be able to ph, Leek is about 12 miles from cheadle ..just a thought may not be what you are after but its worth a try
    maria

Don't know if this is still of interest but there is a Stoney low (that gets spelled in various ways in docs) near Madeley in Staffs.
    https://www.streetmap.co.uk/place/Net...611_454611.htm

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a Stoney Lane in the hamlet of Moorend in the Parish of Cauldon. Basically it is a long row of houses probably dating from from the early C20th as they aren't on the 1899 OS map for the area. While this is just an example there are a lot of 'townships' or 'hamlets' within the large rural parishes of Staffordshire (and Derbyshire as well) which may explain the lack of an entry on Genuki. Your entry of Stoneylow instantly took me to Stoney Lane as I know the area. Sadly it probably isn't the one you are looking for....

Reputation beyond repute

If you can't find a birth certificate, try the parish registers!

John Burton, son of Samuel (Excavator) and Susannah, bap 7 Feb 1869, born 13 Jan 1869.

Abode - Railway Huts, Stoneylow

The parish is Madeley

Stoney Low can be easily found in the 1881 census on Ancestry (for example) by entering "Stoney Low" in the keywords field.