Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Margarets60

Smile Enfield near Clayton-Le Moors?

The Clayton-Le- Moors baptism/burial records for Elizabeth Ann Pollard (bap 29/12/1847-14/10/1852) and Elizabeth Ann Pollard(buried 21/12/1857 aged 4)give their place of residence as "Enfield". The family are living in Clayton-Le-Moors in the 1851 and 1861 census. The birthplace of the first Elizabeth Ann/ Ann Elizabeth is given as Enfield, Lancashire. Does anyone know where this might have been? I know there are Enfields in Middlesex and Worcestershire but cannot as yet find one in Lancashire.

Jan1954

Could Enfield be the name of a farm or some such place?

I have just thrown "Enfield, Lancashire" into google maps and it came up with the following:

Enfield, Marl Cop, Bretherton, Leyland, Lancashire and
    Enfield, Dawber's Ln, Euxton, Chorley, Lancashire

As my geographical knowledge of Lancashire is not that hot, I wondered if either of these could be the one? If not, maybe it was something in the locale similarly named.

spanish senora

I know this area quite well. Either could be right. It sounds like a farm or dwelling place name as apposed to an area

Geoffers

A very quick look at the 1861 census shows an Enfield Bottom in Clayton-Le-Moors (RG9/3090 f4 p2) it would seem to be not far from Clayton Hall.

You might be able to locate the place/area using a map - e.g. using a search engine, enter 'old-maps' and have a look at what they have.

Margarets60

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    A very quick look at the 1861 census shows an Enfield Bottom in Clayton-Le-Moors (RG9/3090 f4 p2) it would seem to be not far from Clayton Hall.

You might be able to locate the place/area using a map - e.g. using a search engine, enter 'old-maps' and have a look at what they have.
    Thanks Geoffers and everyone,
    Once again this Forum comes up trumps. I have just looked on an 1848 map of Clayton-Le Moors (via Crazy Fox) and, although I could not spot Enfield Bottom I did find an area called Henfield. So I have possible solutions to my question. Thank you

Margarets60

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    I've just had a look at 6 inch OS sheets from the late 1880s for the Clayton le Moors area, but can't find an Enfield Bottom in the vicinity of Clayton Hall. Perhaps this was a local name used by the enumerator.

Just to confuse the issue, there is a district called Henfield, a mile or two south of Clayton le Moors. If you were to draw a triangle with Clayton le Moors at the apex, and Church and Accrington forming the bottom two angles, Henfield would be at the centre of the triangle. An error in spelling perhaps ?
    Thanks Finbar, You must have been searching at the same time as I was. It is too much of a coincidence I feel. It seems likely that Henfield was transcribed as "Enfield" in the parish register. The Family were living at Factory Row in 1851 and there is a mill at Henfield.

Margarets60

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Could Enfield be the name of a farm or some such place?

I have just thrown "Enfield, Lancashire" into google maps and it came up with the following:

Enfield, Marl Cop, Bretherton, Leyland, Lancashire and
    Enfield, Dawber's Ln, Euxton, Chorley, Lancashire

As my geographical knowledge of Lancashire is not that hot, I wondered if either of these could be the one? If not, maybe it was something in the locale similarly named.
    Thanks for helping Jan, Bretherton and Euxton are not very near to Clayton-Le-Moors but still worth considering if other avenues do not appear.

Loves to help with queries

Hi
    If you look for this grid reference, SD750300, on https://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk , you will find that the area is still known as Enfield, even the cricket club, where the Blue number 75 is, carries the name in the Lancashire League.

To access this use the link then click on the big pink button, then try the grid reference in the search box, if that doesn't work then try a search for Clayton le Moors then click on the blue lines crosing on the B6231 at the bottom of the map

Margarets60

Default Enfield/Henfield

Quote Originally Posted by StintonLomas View Post
    Hi
    If you look for this grid reference, SD750300, on https://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk , you will find that the area is still known as Enfield, even the cricket club, where the Blue number 75 is, carries the name in the Lancashire League.

To access this use the link then click on the big pink button, then try the grid reference in the search box, if that doesn't work then try a search for Clayton le Moors then click on the blue lines crosing on the B6231 at the bottom of the map
    Thanks for this: following your information and then using the mario website,(https://mario.lancashire.gov.uk) I have been able to overlay the old map and the more recent map. The Enfield that you have found is very slightly South of the Henfield marked on the older map. It seems probable that they are the same place.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Enfield, Clayton le moors

Quote Originally Posted by Margarets60 View Post
    Thanks for this: following your information and then using the mario website,(https://mario.lancashire.gov.uk) I have been able to overlay the old map and the more recent map. The Enfield that you have found is very slightly South of the Henfield marked on the older map. It seems probable that they are the same place.
    I know of this area living very near and being a historian.

Yes, there is a village called Enfield near clayton le moors accrington.

In the 1600s the name was mistranslated or spelt as Hyndfeld of Henfield and consisted of wild animals kept in rented pens as it was common land. So the word hen or pen comes into the name then field. The old english name for the pens was pynfolds.
    This is one of the first battles of the civil war in 1642 and the name spelt Hindfield. Later the "H" was dropped and the area called Enfield. The nearby towns of Clayton Le Moors and Altham, near Accrington, Lancashire, have swallowed up the boarders so not much of the original village survives.

Then because of scottish invaders the borough called Hyndburn "burn" meaning river.

Hope this helps, i have many local websites and you tube videos on Lancashires industrial revolution

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast