Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Mmm. Further deciphering of the small writing on Edward DOWNIE's service record shows that he died in Chatham on 22 March 1819, which is around the time Amelia was supposedly born in Marseilles! The 2nd battalion of the 14th was in Malta in 1813 and in Marseilles in 1815 (which would fit for the births of Elizabeth and Jane) but was apparently disbanded in 1818.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    The regimental history of the second battalion of the 14th indicates postings in Malta and Marseilles, and the tree lists two other daughters, Elizabeth (born in Malta in 1813) and Jane (born in Marseilles in 1815), but I have as yet found no proof of this. The Miltary Births on FMP does seem to list a Jane DOWNIE born in Marseilles, so I might be able to get that certificate, although I can't quite make out the references. Is anyone with a sub willing to have a look?
    I found a clearer copy and sent for the certificate. It arrived this morning and Jane Emily Downie was born in Marseilles on 10 October 1815 and baptised on 12 November 1815 by the Chaplain to the Forces for 14th Regiment of Foot, daughter of Edward and Catherine. The regiment was sent back to the UK shortly after this, and Edward died in Chatham in 1819, so I am now wondering whether this is in fact my Amelia, rather than her older sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Should have said that her death certificate says she was 56 when she died on 12 December 1875, which is why I had born c 1819 on my database.
    There is no age on her marriage, as it was just prior to civil registration, and the census ages don't tally, though none seem to indicate a birth quite as early as 1815.

1841 HO107/675/4/12 aged 24 N
    1851 HO107/1575 f523 p2 aged 32 b France, British Subject
    1861 RG9/367 f92 p23 aged 40 b France, Marseilles BS
    1871 RG10/693 f26 p5 aged 49 b British Subject, Marseilles, France

Maybe she just liked shaving a few years off her age and her son, who registered the death, didn't know better. Oh for a crystal ball to the past!

At least I now know that her mother's name was Catherine. I grasp at small nuggets these days The only other thing I have found is a burial for an Edward Downie, aged 2 and a half, in St.Mary Magdalene, East Ham on 26 January 1813. I wonder if this might be Edward and Catherine's first child - sadly no parents are listed on the burial, and I can't see an equivalent baptism in the same parish in 1810/11.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123