Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pottoka

Unhappy Nothing good

Your Farmers are definitely elusive, Linda! Appearing on every second Census makes you think they had something to hide.

I'm afraid that, with no indication of the town where he was born, you have no chance of tracking him down in France. Otherwise, we could have written to the relevant Town hall and got the certificate for free (please note, Retlaw: a point in favour of the French). You'll have to keep your fingers crossed that there's more information on the 1911 Census!

I looked for William's death, between 1850 and 1860, and Charles' birth, between 1850 and 1855, in the Consular Indices on findmypast, but couldn't find any sign of either of them.

To find out Harriet's maiden name, you could order James' birth certificate. This has to be him, I think:
    Name: James Farmer
    Year of Registration: 1841
    Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    District: Croydon
    County: Greater London, Kent, Surrey
    Volume: 4
    Page: 97
    You might be able to work out if she was French from her surname.

lindarhead

Pottoka, very quick reply as I'm looking after my 4 year old grandson today and he wants me to play cars with him..

Last night I found the family, at least I think it's them,with the exception of Wm snr, on the 1851 census,in the workhouse!! A couple of them, if not all, are listed as being born in Worcestershire but all the names of mother and siblings match the ones on other census records,so I feel sure iit's them.It's the Spitals workhouse, Penkhull, Stoke-on-Trent.

Thanks for the info re James..I'll do that,

Linda..

Retlaw

Default French Birth Certs

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    As I have already pointed out on Brit-Gen, I am part of an underground movement to reclaim France for the English. This is being carried out by stealth as we are slowly but steadily diluting the blood. Given that I am behind enemy lines, I consider that I should be treated with more respect.
    Awreight then tha furgivun (touching forelock), but be carefull, thur crafty beggars ar yon lot, are they still on overtime at the white flag factory.

Retlaw.

pottoka

Smile Overtime is a four letter word

Quote Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
    Awreight then tha furgivun (touching forelock), but be carefull, thur crafty beggars ar yon lot, are they still on overtime at the white flag factory.

Retlaw.
    Overtime? Are you mad? Haven't you heard of the 35-hour week? And I seem to recall seeing a news bulletin last night about which trains would be affected by the strikes today ...

By the way, my grandad, who came from Liverpuwle, took his wife, a Lancashire lass, home for the birth of their first child - because he was convinced it was going to be a boy and he wanted him to be able to play football for a certain team. There were rules about such things in those days. He was out of luck; it was a girl!

lindarhead

Hi all, Just a brief update for those of you who helped me with my search for Charles Farmer, my 'British subject born in France.'
    I finally found him! I was lucky enough to find out that he was born in Dieppe from an elderly relative, so I wrote,in my best French, to the town hall in Dieppe in December.On Saturday I received a letter from them, containing a copy of his original birth record. To say I was thrilled was an understatement. I can't read the whole document as my French is limited and also the copy is a little feint in places, but I can read the relevant parts. If anyone could help me with the translation of the whole document that would be great, but other than that, thanks for all your help.

Linda

pottoka

Smile Well done!

Congratulaions, Linda! You must be so pleased. What luck to find someone who could tell you where Charles was born.

If no-one else has come forward yet, I'll be happy to translate your "acte de naissance" for you.

lindarhead

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    Congratulaions, Linda! You must be so pleased. What luck to find someone who could tell you where Charles was born.

If no-one else has come forward yet, I'll be happy to translate your "acte de naissance" for you.
    That would be fantastic,Pottoka!.....shall I email it to you?

Linda

lindarhead

Quote Originally Posted by lindarhead View Post
    That would be fantastic,Pottoka!.....shall I email it to you?

Linda
    I wanted to say a big online thank you to Pottoka!!!! so...THANK YOU!!!!!! for transcribing and translating my' acte de naissance' relating to Charles Farmer.It was great to finally get the confirmation of his birth and parentage that I was searching for. Hats off too, to the help I had from the town hall ( Marie) in Dieppe,they were brilliant.

So all of you out there in no-mans land ancestrally speaking..don't give up! The answers are there somewhere.

Linda.....one very happy amateur genealogist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12