mjcarpenter

Default Thomas Underhill Clarke

Thomas Underhill Clarke was born 1794, in Wadhurst. His parents were Edward Clarke and Sarah Paige.

I have searched through as many parish records as I can for the above mentioned parents of Thomas, but have not managed to confirm their birthplace/dates.

Thomas Underhill Clarke married Martha Russell in July 1815, and I have plenty of info on their children.

Does Thomas Underhill Clarke ring any bells, even faint ones, with any readers out there?

Please let me know
    thanks
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 05-11-2008 at 2:16 PM. Reason: typo of Clarke

Jane M

This is the marriage of Edward & Sarah & as you can see, Edward was a widower,

Frant, East Sussex, 3 Mar 1794:
    Edward CLARKE, widr
    Sarah PAIGE

THe IGI gives an extracted record of a baptism of a Thomas Clarke s/o Edward & Sarah, 1794, Frant & I can't find a record of one in Wadhurst or his marriage to Martha so did they marry somewhere other than Sussex?
    As Frant & Wadhurst are on the Kent border it might be worth looking there for a baptism of Edward.

There is another marriage of an Edward to a Sarah in the area & it might be Edwards first marriage;

Ticehurst, East Sussex, 24 Jun 1781:
    Edward CLARK, servant to Mr TOMPSETT of Wadhurst.
    Sarah MANKTELOE, late servant to Samuel

Finding burials for Edward & Sarah (1) might help in establishing Edwards age. Just thinking outloud here but all the baptism's attributed to Edward & Sarah happen after 1794, there doesn't seem to be children for that supposed first marriage

Jane

mjcarpenter

Default Thomas Underhill Clark

Hi Jane
    Thanks for responding.

Edward Clark and Sarah Mankteloe had a 2 sons one called Jacob, born in1785 and another Edward in 1786. The parish records only show the parents names and abode - no clue on ages.

I have not yet found a death entry for Sarah. Her sons were born in Wadhurst, so she may have dies there, maybe in childbirth.

Edward went on and had another Edward in 1805, so possibly Sarah and the first Edward died together.
    All just thoughts at the moment but it would be nice to get past this brick wall.

Jane M

A good online resource, especially for Sussex is, family history online. Although it's pay-per-view, it's well worth the small outlay. You might find some burials there.

Kent OPC has some Frant information. As does The Weald site for both Frant & Wadhurst

https://theweald.org/P5.asp?PId=PSx.Ft

As Edward who married Sarah Mankteloe was working in Wadhurst for this Mr. Tompsett (who appears, having done a Google search, to be a farmer) it seems plausible Wadhurst was the place they set up home.
    Firstly you need to find a burial for this Sarah (hopefully it says, w/o Edward!)
    Personally I feel that these two marriages are the same Edward as the SMI doesn't give another marriage for an Edward Clarke within the right time-frame.
    Where did you get the name UNDERHILL from? It seems to suggest someone's maiden name has been used so that could be a clue. The SMI gives a couple of female Underhill marriages to male Clarke's but they are way back in the 1600's ,

Jane
    Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2008 at 8:14 AM. Reason: Links to commercial sites

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thomas Underhill Clark is my direct ancestor,his parents were Edward Clarke and Sarah Underhill,he was born and baptised in Wadhurst,Sussex in 1793.
    If you are a subscriber to Ancestry Uk my family tree (Clark) is public. Lots of birth & marriage certs to verify.
    Sarah Mankteloe was his wife,she was Sarah Underhill but a marriage to a Mankteloe only lasted a year until the death of her husband. The marriage was childless.

Firstly, welcome to the British Genealogy Forum!
    It’s a pity that your first reply on BG is bad news, but you are the only active member on this old thread (other than me, of course). It is shown by the tag “guest” under their user names. Data protection legislation does not allow us to retain contact info for departing memebers, so we can’t let them know about your interest.
    Of course, there’s a good chance that others with an interest in the family will find your query, so don’t give up.