Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NickM

Oh I wish this was my relative - so much information.....

John Wesley's father's death......

John Hicks
    Died: 28 Feb 1891
    Born: Colborne
    Cause of death: Pleuresy
    Informant: Martha Hicks, Campbellford
    Registered 28 April 1891
    Religion: Methodist

Everything bar his inside leg measurement !

Devonmade

All this information is most interesting. I looked at the family trees on Ancestry and if they are correct, with info included in this thread then John Wesley Hicks family originated in Cornwall and in particular St Tudy.
    Robert Hicks married Hannah Southcott in 1839 by the 1841 census they had a daughter Phillipa. During the 1840's they seem to have gone to Canada where Samuel John was born in 1846.

My husband now recalls that John Wesley Hicks may have been a seaman of some sort in the First World War and he thought he may have been on a minesweeper. This would tie in with the Plymouth connection being a Naval Port. It appears that he met Gladys Westcott who would have been in her teens during the war but was told that if he really wanted to marry her then he should come back after the war if he still felt the same, which he obviously did. There was an age difference of about 12 years between them so if he was going out with her when she was 17 he would have been nearly 30.

Sue

BeeJay

A really interesting family story, Sue, and a great job, NickM, find all this info!

The WW2 registration papers were a real bonus for the birth date/place. Do they by chance mention or ask about previous military experience?

Devonmade

Do you know why someone of 53 would of had WW2 registration papers, was this normal?

Sue

NickM

Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    A really interesting family story, Sue, and a great job, NickM, find all this info!

The WW2 registration papers were a real bonus for the birth date/place. Do they by chance mention or ask about previous military experience?

You can view them for yourself.....

https://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...in_uk/jwh1.jpg

https://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...in_uk/jwh2.jpg

I think men still had to register, even though they were probably too old to go to the front. They could do home guard duties, or replace men who were sent away to war.

Devonmade

Hi NickM

Thank you for posting the original, I've found this story very interesting I think I know more about this family than I do about some closer family members. I wish I had been taught social history whilst at school I find it far more interesting then Kings, Queens and Romans.

Sue

Sbrown

Hi,
    I hope I am not too late to join this discussion.

I am not related to the Hicks or Westcotts. I live in Portland, OR USA and have come into the possession (by accident - long story) of the original marriage certificate of John Wesley Hicks and Gladys Florence Westcott, married March 28, 1921 in Plymouth. I would be happy to share the information on the certificate, if any of you are interested. I also have birth date and death date info on Gladys' parents.

Also, do you know where I might find the descendants of John and Gladys? I would like to return this certificate to them. (It is very fragile, taped together many times).

Thank you,
    Shannon

Devonmade

Hi Shannon

Thank you for getting in touch. I would be very pleased to recieve all the details on the marriage of John Wesley Hicks and Gladys Westcott also the details you have of the parents of Gladys.

I met Gladys and her son Gordon when they paid their last visit to the UK sometime in the late 1960's early 1970's. John and Gladys had three children, Gordon who married Mary and then there were twin daughters Claire and Martha.

The only other knowledge I have of the family is that Gordon died on 11 May 1986, death was registerd in Multnomah County, Oregon. I think his wife Mary had a double barrelled name e.g. Mary Claire., I have no more knowledge and do not know who the two girls married or if Gordon had any children, I have a few photos of Auntie Glad with John Hicks and son Gordon in. But I am not aware that the two girls ever came to the UK.

I look forward to hearing from you. What a small world.

Regards

Sue

Sbrown

Hi Sue,
    Thanks for the note! I work for a non-profit/charitable org. which receives donations of books and other items. Sometimes, there are family documents hidden in the pages of the books, and I always try to return them. Oftentimes we get donations of books, when someone has died, and the family members are cleaning out the house.

We recently received a donation of a Postage Stamp Album. Inside the cover was written the name "Martha Mae Hicks". This must be one of the twin daughters of Gordon.

Within the pages of the album were:
    1.) Piece of paper with names/birthdates/deathdates
    2.) Marriage Certificate
    3.) Letter

Piece of Paper - the following info was on the piece of paper -
    "Mother and Father of Gladys F. Hicks (Born May 11, 1900)
    *George B. Westcott
    Dec. 21, 1868
    March 10, 1947
    *Clara M. Westcott
    April 4, 1874
    Dec. 2, 1950"

Marriage Certificate of John Hicks and Gladys Westcott - as mentioned in my prior post, this is a very fragile document, that has been taped together many times -
    "Marriage solemnized at S. Johns Church in the Parish of Sutton on Plym in the County of Plymouth"
    "No. 177, March 28, 1921"
    "John Wesley Hicks; Age 27; Bachelor; Laborer; 232B Loor (?) St., East Toronto; Father's Name and Surname -John Samuel Hicks (deceased); Profession of Father - Mechanic"
    "Gladys Florence Westcott; Age 21; Spinster; 38 Latehale(?) Avenue; Father's Name - George Benjamin Westcott; Father's profession - Fisherman"
    "The marriage was solemnized in the Presence of us, George Westcott and Clara Westcott"
    The document was signed by "W. Geoffrey Munk/Mank (?), Vicar"
    Some of the writing is not too legible to me, and I've put question marks after those parts.

Letter - the letter is not dated, but it is a letter to "Mrs. G. Hicks" and the salutation reads "Dear Aunty Glad". It is from Mrs. V. M. Westcott of Plymouth Devon England, and is signed "Love, Vicki, Alan, Rachel and Lee"

I will see if I can track down any of the descendants. If I am not successful, I'll let you know - then, maybe I can send them to you? I too am researching my family, and I know how precious and valuable some of these old documents can be!

Let me know if there are any questions.
    Thanks again,
    Shannon in Portland, Oregon

Devonmade

Hi Shannon

Thank you for all the details you have provided, it's so good to know that there are people around like you who care so much. I hope you have success in tracking down the descendants of Gladys and John. My husband is the link to Gladys and John and he remebers Alan who was referred to in the letter, they were both great nephews of Aunty Glad. I was interested to see that Martha had the second name of Mae, her twin sister also had a second name that started with an M. May was the surname of Clara who was the mother of Gladys and I wonder if this was a way of keeping the surname going which was quite traditional in Devon and Cornwall. If you want me to look up anything family history related on this side of the pond let me know and I will try to help.

Many thanks once again, Sue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast