mentorscotus

Default JOHN DALY 24896..Royal Irish Fusiliers

As I wrote in a previous post,this seems to be the man who ticks all the boxes such as place of enlistment,Hamilton,place of residence,Coatbridge:regiment his home one, R.I.F.:The only non- fit is the name of the person collecting his medals in 1923.I have recently found out that his parents had died by 1918.All other things being equal, how can his name be added to the local war memorial at Coatbridge so the family can honour him there?

Retlaw

Default Coatbrige Memorial

Quote Originally Posted by mentorscotus View Post
    As I wrote in a previous post,this seems to be the man who ticks all the boxes such as place of enlistment,Hamilton,place of residence,Coatbridge:regiment his home one, R.I.F.:The only non- fit is the name of the person collecting his medals in 1923.I have recently found out that his parents had died by 1918.All other things being equal, how can his name be added to the local war memorial at Coatbridge so the family can honour him there?
    The only way is to humiliate the local gods, ie, town council into adding his name, get in touch with the local press, give them a sob story, get them to push for an addendum panel added to the memorial, I'm sure there will be more names missing from the memorial, there are 168 names missing from all our local borough memorials.

Retlaw.

daggers

I am curious about your statement that the RIF was your man's 'home' regiment, unless I am mistaking the Coatbridge and Hamilton - I read it as meaning those in Lanarkshire. Is my geography adrift?
    D

mentorscotus

Default Home regiment John Daly 24896 R.I.F.

Quote Originally Posted by daggers View Post
    I am curious about your statement that the RIF was your man's 'home' regiment, unless I am mistaking the Coatbridge and Hamilton - I read it as meaning those in Lanarkshire. Is my geography adrift?
    D

Daggers,
    I see where you are coming from.I have had a long,long and circuitous route to find out this much with many strange mistakes and blind alleys on the way.
    John Daly was born in the Armagh/Tyrone borderlands.As far as I am aware he was born at his maternal grandmothers place at Tartlaghan,Tyrone in 1880 and went home to the family house at Charter School Lane, Armagh City.These places are close and bordering both Armagh and Tyrone.
    When he was older he left home to work in the industrial heartlands of Old Monkland,Lanarkshire and met and married a Coatdyke girl Bridget Bennett.He lived at East Stewart Street Coatbridge and his family were born there.
    Upon enlistment he attended the recruiting office of the local regiment for the Monklands area....the Cameronians.
    Eventually they sent him to train with other Irish immigrants resident in Scotland,whereapon he found himself in Princess Victorias Own, (the R.I.F. in later reincarnation).This was considered the local regiment of Armagh men.It was with this regiment he fought and died at Mont Noir,France and Flanders.
    Thanks to you and Retlaw for your input.
    Anyone else who has any further comments on Johns service or how to get his name on the war memorial please help.Thank you.
    Mentorscotus

mentorscotus

Default Johns medals...he had an uncle Daniel

Just this minute found a Daniel Daly in the family.He was Johns father Luke Dalys younger brother and was born in November 1855 in Armagh.I think this man left home to work in either Scotland or England or both before retiring to lodgings in Ann Street Dungannon,Co.Tyrone later in life.
    Is this the Daniel Daly who claimed Johns war medals?Does anyone know about him?What happened to John Dalys medals then?
    More questions than answers again.

p.s. Would love to find grandads medals, so they can go to the R.I.F.Museum in Armagh, with little details of my grandfathers service.

We will remember them!
    Last edited by mentorscotus; 05-11-2008 at 3:08 PM. Reason: addition of p.s./

Since I started trying to identify the men on the WW1 and WW2 memorials in my OPS, I've found that the reasons for someone's name going onto one memorial and not another are sometimes not obvious. Some are on the memorial for the place they were born, others where they were last resident. I still have one man I cannot identify at all after several years of trying.

The point of this is that your relative may be listed on another memorial already - looking at the list of locations you give in message 4, it would be worth checking around.
    Also, we don't normally post links to other forums, but this one may be of help https://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/ as it shows memorials from all over Scotland - it'll save you some travelling, at least!

Lesley

mentorscotus

Default Thank you Lesley

Thanks.I have checked some other memorials and the only one that seems likely is a John on the Dungannon one.But as far as I know he had a different number and the relatives on the medal roll card for that new number are other Dalys,not his relatives at all.
    The man above seems correct in most respects.Now I have found he had an uncle named Daniel it seems possible that this uncle collected the medals for the family in the absense of deceased parents for my John.
    Will check all suggestions though so thank you.
    Mentorscotus