Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Godsoe family

lynnelay

Default Godsoe family

I'm trying to find the parents of a William GODSOE born c 1799. He married 1832 in Liverpool to Jane Fell from the Isle of Man. This was his second marriege the firsdt being to Mary Ann Clarke( also in liverpool). He died 1858 in West Derby liverpool, but i can't locate a grave. I would like to know his birth, baptism details as then hopefully i will get to the parents . Thanks Lynne

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Lynnelay

Have you found him on the 1851 census? This should give his birthplace. I have looked on the IGI and the only William Godsoe's born c1799 were in America.

As for his burial, there were a few cemeteries in Liverpool so it is probably a case of looking at easch of their 1858 burials for him.

Ben

He is on the 1851 census for Toxteth Park
    HO107; Piece: 2186; Folio: 298; Page: 22
    and described as born in Liverpool. I suspect this is where Lynn got the date of birth c1799 from as he was aged 52.

I am transferring this to the Liverpool forum as it is more likely that it will be seen there by people with access to local parish records.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

lynnelay

Default Godsoe

Thanks I had found him on the 1851 census but this does not progress me further. Thannks for moving it for me i never know where to put my difficulties. It is such an unusual surname but is often misspeeled eg Godsal in one census. I find it difficult because i seem to have lots of families that are missing from the odd census. Is there a reason for this? Thanks for your help Lynne

Quote Originally Posted by lynnelay View Post
    It is such an unusual surname but is often misspeeled eg Godsal in one census. I find it difficult because i seem to have lots of families that are missing from the odd census. Is there a reason for this? Thanks for your help Lynne
    People are not usually missing on the census, it just takes a bit of lateral thinking sometimes to find them. Modern day transcribers have sometimes misread names, and enumerators sometimes wrote them down wrongly or tagged them on to the family above by means of ditto marks. There are a few forum sleuths who have got very good at tracking people down on the census and enjoy a challenge, so post your missing ones at
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...splay.php?f=30 with the census year and surname in the title of the post.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

If he was born in Liverpool then there may be a few parishes in the city that have not yet been indexed on the IGI.

Have you searched any other Godsoes in the area at the time?

Ben

Wirral

Not only is GODSOE is an extremely rare name, but most of those in the UK in the censuses originate with 2 families living in Liverpool - the families of William GODSOE b. 1799 & James GODSOE b.1809.
    According to both the 1851 & 1861 censuses, James was born in New Brunswick, [Canada] (in 1851 it says St Johns, N.B.).
    In the 1851 census there was a lodger in William's house - James MOVAN, unmarried, a carpenter, born in St Johns, N.B.
    In the 1871 census, after James had died, his wife Isabella was a boarding house keeper. In the house there were 3 lodgers, including Thomas NEVINS, 43 & Garot FITZGERALD, 26 - both were unmarried, carpenters & born in St Johns, New Brunswick.
    Although the 1851 census gives William's place of birth as Liverpool, the 1841 census says that he was not born in Lancashire.

I think that it is quite likely that William & James are related & that they both come from New Brunswick. There is a group of GODSOEs in the Birmingham area, but I cannot see any direct link to them

lynnelay

Default Thanks

I have written down in my notes that William had a brother James. Goodness knows were i got that from. Thanks for your help much appreciated as usual. I am also posting an other problem and would appreciate you help there as well regargards Lynne

lynnelay

How mdid you find James Godsoe in 1851 census i can't Lynne

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by lynnelay View Post
    How mdid you find James Godsoe in 1851 census i can't Lynne
    I've forgotten how I found it, but this is the reference HO107/2181 folio 563 page 22.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast