Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Godsoe family

CousinRachel

Another version has Captian of the HARE as JAMES GODSOE
    Sloop HARE, of St. John, N.B., November 29th, 1813. Thirty-eight ton sloop, with a pair of six - pounder guns, ten muskets, fourteen pikes and five cutlasses for a crew of twenty-five men. James Reid, who afterwards commanded the Snap Dragon, took the Hare to the New England coast in mid-winter and made prizes. He was succeeded by James Godsoe, who first went with him as lieutenant. Capt. Godsoe, in the Hare, drove an American privateer of four guns on shore in Mispeck Reach, in March, 1814, and captured her with a boat's crew of five. In working out of the Reach the five men from the Hare grounded the privateer on a ledge. Herethey were surrounded by the Maine militiamen and the American privateersmen who had escaped from the prize. After a fight in which John Carlow, of Waterford, in Ireland, one of the Hare's crew, was killed, the prize was retaken. One of the Hare's prize-masters was John Snaith, sent in with the brig Recovery, January15th, 1814 . Another was Daniel Way (possibly Waid, who commanded the Broke). He brought in the sloop Hero, January 13th, 1814. The Hare was owned by Noah Disbrow, John Clarke and Hugh Doyle, all of St. John, N.B.
    C.H.J.Snider, Under the Red Jack: privateers of the Maritime Provinces of Canada in the War of 1812 (London: Martin Hopkinson & Co. Ltd, 1928), 225-258

lynnelay

Quote Originally Posted by lynnelay View Post
    Hi all. Another GODSOE relative contacted me about a baptism recently put on Lancs on line parish clerk..

Baptisms: 26 May 1799 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    William Godsoe Gordon - son of James Gordon & Ellen (formerly Jackson), His Wife
    Born: 13 Mar 1799
    Abode: Stanley Street

Register: Baptisms 1799, Page 89, Entry 490
    Source: LDS Film 93833

The date fits for our William Gosoe and the family were mariners.
    What do other people think and is there anyway we could check to see if it is mis transcribed at any point.

Isn't Lancs OPC wonderful Thanks
    Lynne
    I have been sent the copies of this baptism and the marriage of the parents. They were not mis transcribed. It seems such a coincidence {both born 1799}. Is there any way in which I can follow this to see if 'William Godsoe Gordon' and 'William Gordon Godsoe' where one in the same person or not!!! HELP please Lynne

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry for the necropost. I was Googling the family name and came across this thread. I too am of the Godsoe clan. I am located in the USA. If anyone is still monitoring this thread, hit me up and I can fill you in more on my tree

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. The OP hasn’t been here since last year, but if they are still using the same email address that they registered with, they should have received an email to say that you have joined their thread. Good luck!

HiFly

Quote Originally Posted by GGodsoe View Post
    Sorry for the necropost. I was Googling the family name and came across this thread. I too am of the Godsoe clan. I am located in the USA. If anyone is still monitoring this thread, hit me up and I can fill you in more on my tree
    Welcome to you I must admit that my FH research has stalled and I am no further forward on my tree in the last few years.

However you may be re-igniting my interest, and I look forward to seeing if any of your Godsoe tree has any connections to my WRIGHT tree.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123