Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Godsoe family

HiFly

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    Not only is GODSOE is an extremely rare name, but most of those in the UK in the censuses originate with 2 families living in Liverpool - the families of William GODSOE b. 1799 & James GODSOE b.1809.
    According to both the 1851 & 1861 censuses, James was born in New Brunswick, [Canada] (in 1851 it says St Johns, N.B.).
    In the 1851 census there was a lodger in William's house - James MOVAN, unmarried, a carpenter, born in St Johns, N.B.
    In the 1871 census, after James had died, his wife Isabella was a boarding house keeper. In the house there were 3 lodgers, including Thomas NEVINS, 43 & Garot FITZGERALD, 26 - both were unmarried, carpenters & born in St Johns, New Brunswick.
    Although the 1851 census gives William's place of birth as Liverpool, the 1841 census says that he was not born in Lancashire.

I think that it is quite likely that William & James are related & that they both come from New Brunswick. There is a group of GODSOEs in the Birmingham area, but I cannot see any direct link to them

Ahhhh - I spotted this as I also have connection to some GODSOE's. Those of you observant on these forums will have noted that amongst other things l have been asking for lookups on some WRIGHTS who - here's the connection - also moved from St John, New Brunswick to Liverpool in the early to mid 1800's.

Looking through my files I have a rellie - Samuel Wright Godsoe , s.o. Joseph Godsoe 1807-1870 nd Catherine Ann Wright b1814, my GGG/F younger sister.

I have extensively managed to research the WRIGHTS and related families in New Brunswick - all related to the original Loyalists who had to leave the Colonies and go to Canada in 1783 after the American Revolutionary War - and in trying to chase down my lot after arriving in Liverpool in the last 3 days have noted on both here and other forums I'm a member of that other NB families I am used to are suddenly sprouting up in Liverpool - i.e. Ackerley's, Godsoe's and others...

Wirral/LynneLay - I'll have a look at the NB end tomorrow for William GODSOE b. 1799 & James GODSOE b.1809. I have some resources on that side of the pond i'm now used to....nd see if I can track them...

HiFly

HiFly

Found this Newspaper notice clipping - I think this is your James...
    =========
    Date November 23 1839
    County Saint John, Place Saint John
    Newspaper New Brunswick Courier
    m. Liverpool, England, 17th Oct., James Whitney GODSOE, Saint John, N.B. / Isabella WHITE second d/o Sylvester WHITE, H.M. Customs.

Will keep searching.....

HiFly

More info/leads..... not saying they are all the same William Godsoe - but I do think it's possibly father & son. On the "First Families" of New Brunswick it mentions a William Godsoe older than b1799 that was mentioned on here - so that is (i think) the son. Also spotted that the article below refers to King County - where my William B Wright (Snr) settled in 1784 - and I also spotted the Thomas NEVINS you mentioned as a lodger - A Jane NEVINS from Longtown Cumberland married a Richard Wright in NB - a shipowner from NB who came to Liverpool - Jane
    Died 3 Nov 1895 @ Lynwood, Sefton Park, Liverpool

https://www.rubycusack.com/issue164.html

Date November 9 1812
    County York, Place Fredericton
    Newspaper The New Brunswick Royal Gazette
    m. Thursday eve., Joseph TYLER / Charlotte d/o William GODSOE, High Constable of this city.

Date January 12 1828
    County Saint John Place Saint John
    d. Wednesday eve. 9th, age 66, Huldah GODSOE w/o William GODSOE,Sr.

Date July 5 1865
    Newspaper Saint John Globe
    d. Tuesday 4th, William GODSOE, age 73. Funeral Thursday 3 p.m. from his residence Leinster St. (St. John)

Date October 3 1867
    Newspaper Christian Visitor
    d. 23rd ult., Hannah Allaby relict of William GODSOE, age 71, left one son, two daughters. (see poem)

Date March 21 1891
    Newspaper Saint John Globe
    d. Long Beach, St. Martins (St. John) William GODSOE, age 87, formerly a resident of Fredericton.

Date February 10 1830
    Newspaper City Gazette
    d. 8th, Golden Grove (Kings Co.) William GODSOE Sr. Funeral from home of his son, Nathan GODSOE, Leinster St. (St. John)

Date December 23 1848
    d. Darling's Island (Kings Co.) 15th inst., Charlotte CLARK w/o late Charles CLARK and d/o late William GODSOE of (St. John) city, age 56.

Hope that helps - have a feeling we will find a loose connection sometime..

lynnelay

Default Godsoe

Thanks for your help. I am still not sure how my William who married in Liverpool c 1832 fits in. There are so few of them im England, so I suppose they must have come from somewhere. In the 1851 census they had a james Moran from NB lodging with them.
    In 1861 Ada Godsoe my Great garand mother was living in Harrington Street with her mum who lists no husband , she is down as Head (Ada's mum that is). james and Isabella live in Sun Street.
    There was a William Gordon Godsoe Died 1858 in West Derby. I think that is him. If I send for his death certificate will it help me further ?? I can't afford £7 if it doesn'y.

Regards Lynne

HiFly

Lynne

Can you e-mail me what you have on your Godsoe's (up to say 1910) - I'm currently building a tree on the Godsoe's from the other end (NB) and then maybe we can see where the gap is in the middle.

cshaw_6th (at) hotmail (dot) com - replace (..) with appropriate characters.

I had an e-mail tonight from someone else who may have piece of the jigsaw - and more and more there seem to be little bits coming out...lets see where it takes us.

BTW - can you list the surnames associated with your GODSOE's - that may give us more clues.....your MORAN reference also rings a bell somewhere for me....

The middle name GORDON is also a possible pointer - an Ann GORDON married Thomas ARCHDALE who looks like being a sibling of a John ARCHDALE who married a Jane HARTNESS and whose daughter Harriet married a William GREEN and in whose home (in Liverpool) in 1851 Census I found my GGG/F as nephew whose aunt Catherine WRIGHT married Joseph GODSOE (in NB)..... {Very complicated response but what I'm alluding to is that I think we have a thread to unravel for quite a number of us who are hitting brick walls in the Liverpool area with the above surnames}.

HiFly

lynnelay

I have got intouch with Tracey through Genes reunited and she is related to Beatrice Godsoe of Stoke. I will enquire further
    Lynne

CousinRachel

The MORAN reference may be a St. Martins, New Brunswick, Canada, Moran. They were shipbuilders and mariners in the area. My grandfather was Thomas Godsoe, his father was Oscar Daniel Godsoe (b. 1832), and HIS father was Ralph Jackson Godsoe (b. 1805)- according to my family orignally from England (location unknown), emigrated to America (date & location unknown)and came to Canada as during 1812 the family remained loyal to the British Crown. These Godsoes settled in the St. Martins area, which is about 1/2 hour from St. (now Saint) John, New Brunswick.

lynnelay

Thanks for the contact. I think the civil war may have a bearing on my Godsoe as well. William gordon godsoe was a seafarer as was the other Godsoe living in Liverpool who was called James Whitney.

lynnelay

Hi all. Another GODSOE relative contacted me about a baptism recently put on Lancs on line parish clerk..

Baptisms: 26 May 1799 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    William Godsoe Gordon - son of James Gordon & Ellen (formerly Jackson), His Wife
    Born: 13 Mar 1799
    Abode: Stanley Street
    Register: Baptisms 1799, Page 89, Entry 490
    Source: LDS Film 93833

The date fits for our William Gosoe and the family were mariners.
    What do other people think and is there anyway we could check to see if it is mis transcribed at any point.

Isn't Lancs OPC wonderful Thanks
    Lynne

CousinRachel

Default Looking through my files I have a rellie - Sa

HiFly mentions she has a Samuel Wright Godsoe in her family tree. There is a book which I have in my possession "Trimming Yankee Sails PIRATES AND PRIVATEERS of New Brunswick' by Faye Kert, that mentions a Captain Samuel Godsoe. He was the captain of the 38 ton sloop HARE (she was formerly the WASP -and American- but was captured and renamed). Her owners were Noah Disbrow, John Clark and Hugh Doyle of Saint John, New Brunswick. They obtained a letter of marque in November of 1813 and in 1814 " with Captain Samuel Godsoe in command January 1814, she took two prizes, the sloop HERO laden with cordwood and the brig RECOVERY'.
    A Letter of marque - or licence authorized a private vessel, whether merchant ship or a cruising privateer, to seize an enemy ship and its cargo during wartime. The letter distinguished a privateer from a pirate and generally protected privateersmen for impressment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast