Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tlaporte

Default Searchable online sources for Norman family names

Does anyone know of any online resources for family name research into such references as the Battle Abbey Honor Roll, the Domesday Book or any other record of family names from that period?

I am particularly interested in a Bolle family (also written as Bolles, Boal, Boals, Boale in early records). I have read reports of their origin in Bouelles, Normandy, fighting at Hastings, in the Domesday Book etc. but would like to be able to confirm any of these "facts" before relying on them.

A fountain of knowledge

Thumbs up

A spot of googling finds:

Battle Abbey Roll.

There is a Sire de Bolleville listed.

Domesday Book list.

More googling may find more sources.

Peggy

tlaporte

Default Online sources for Norman period information

I should have clarified. The two sites pointed out are really just indexes into the Abbey Roll and the Domesday book. If you find an entry where do you go from there? On the Abbey Roll, I suppose there isn't much beyond the name but what period document/source might help to follow up on that name - if any? On the Domesday Book those indexes point to specific Landowners or LandHoldings you can't really tell which, in my case I found the Bole entry but with only the index to check I don't know if that is referring to a name or the place. Again, where do you go from there to find out what the index is referring to?

Any suggestions?

Guy Etchells

Unfortunately you do not give us any clues as to where you live not even a county or country for that matter so it is very difficult to give you useful advice.

The best I can do is mention that parts of Domesday are online but many libraries carry or can obtain copies of the relvenant sections of Domesday published by the likes of Phillimore. In a similar vien they can also obtain (through inter-library loan) books pertaining to the Battle Abbey Roll, ancient survies etc. etc.

This may not be of help as you may live miles from the nearest library.
    Cheers
    Guy

tlaporte

I am really looking for on line sources but I guess there aren't any. I am rather remote being located in Central Canada (I just added that to my profile info) and we do have libraries but information which may be common in England is not available within the Canadian Inter-library loan system especially things like land surveys. I have made a few requests for the books which you mention.

So, that leaves the internet. Going back to my original request, can anyone suggest any detailed information available on line?

Liz Parkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    A spot of googling finds:

Battle Abbey Roll.

There is a Sire de Bolleville listed.

Domesday Book list.

More googling may find more sources.

Peggy
    I am trying to track the origin of one of my family names DUROSE and its many many variants, which in 11th and 12th centuries appears as De ROS but listed under the R not the D! There are several on the Battle Abbey Roll and a Hubert de RYES on the Domesday book site. How do I go about getting a copy of the relevant bit of the Domesday book via my library - or probably via Stafford Record Office which is where I am doing this particular research. Oh - and what language is it in,

thanks for the links tho

Liz Parkinson

Guy Etchells

Latin, but don't let that bother you the most likely available copy would be from the Phillimores series which has the latin text on one page with the english translation opposite. ;-))

The problem with Domesday is Willy the conq. was a wiley man instead of allowing his barons to amass vast spreads of lands in on area he granted them lands in various counties so as to diminish their power in any particular place.
    This means that many volumes of the domesmessage=Latin, but don't let that bother you the most likely available copy would be from the Phillimores series which has the latin text on one page with the english translation opposite. ;-))

The problem with Domesday is Willy the conq. was a wiley man instead of allowing his barons to amass vast spreads of lands in on area he granted them lands in various counties so as to diminish their power in any particular place.
    This means that many volumes of the domesday transcripts must be consulted to get all references to a particular person.

There has been a name index published but I do not know how widespread the circulation is.

I have Domesday for Leicestershire, Rutland, Notts., Lincs., Derbs., and Yorks if that helps.
    Cheers
    Guy

davet

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Parkinson
    I am trying to track the origin of one of my family names DUROSE and its many many variants, which in 11th and 12th centuries appears as De ROS but listed under the R not the D! There are several on the Battle Abbey Roll and a Hubert de RYES on the Domesday book site. How do I go about getting a copy of the relevant bit of the Domesday book via my library - or probably via Stafford Record Office which is where I am doing this particular research. Oh - and what language is it in,

thanks for the links tho

Liz Parkinson
    I have a book (courtesy of the Oxfam shop) 'Domesday People' written & published (2002)by (Ms) V. Tillyard 9 Market Hill, Whitchurch, Aylesbury HP22 4JB. paperback 184 pages. No ISBN number. Which gives a biography and the holdings of individuals listed in the Domesday Book. The author says she deals with 'as many as possible' of the Domesday folk, so probably not a complete listing. But for example she devotes two pages to Liz's Hubert of Ryes and his sons Eudo, Adam & Ralph.

dave

Stephen M. Kohler

It is not going to be easy but it is not impossible. It is just time consuming. The practice of maintaining a surname and passing it to the next generation did not become popular until the Fourteenth Century. So, have you tried Googleling with parenthesis around "Bolles" "Boal" "Boals" "Boale" and other various spellings along with the names of wives, and towns and dates and other key words, and/or Boolean searches yet? Look up the genealogy of Ragnwald Earl of More. Ragnwald was William I’s grandfather. What most folks don’t know is the fact that many of the chiefs that fought under William I were his blood relatives. Beyond the grants that William doled out to his family and loyal retinue many of these men went on to become the chieftons of Scottish Clans. William's uncle Richard de Saint Clair became the chiefton of the Clan Sinclair. Guillaume d'Arques (a cousin who fought with William I) family’s name actually became “Clifford” several generations later.

/R

Stephen
    Washington, DC
    Last edited by Stephen M. Kohler; 25-02-2005 at 4:06 PM.

Patrisia

Default Question for Guy

I had domesday book site bookmarked as I had browsed it in the past, now it seems to be down - have you heard anything about it?

You said I have Domesday for Leicestershire, Rutland, Notts., Lincs., Derbs., and Yorks if that helps.........yes please.

I am not looking for names, just an entry for Smalley, DBY. I am writing up the background/history of the village for my OPS. I have seen someone's quote, that it was mentioned in the Domesday Book but not the actual entry.

Could you help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast