ExDevonport

Default Searching for William Corderoy

Hi Forum members,

William Corderoy, of South Bowenfels, NSW died at the age of 85 years. William came to the district circa 1854. The same age at death appears on his death certificate.

His obituary from the Lithgow Mercury Friday June 24 1898, states he was a native of Kensington London, and came to the colony at a very early age - nearly seventy years ago.

Based on the above dates the assumption is he was born circa 1813 and came to NSW at about the age of about 15.

After exhausting all the immigrant records I could search, the alternative left was transportation.

After viewing numerous reels of film from the H.O. 26 series, convict records I found an entry for William Corderoy, tried at the Old Bailey, April Sessions’s date 1830, sentenced to 7 years. However I have not been able to match this William Corderoy with a record on the Old Bailey Sessions Internet site. The closest I came to was a William Cordery details as follows –

The Proceedings of the Old Bailey Ref: t18300415-147
    Other trials on 15 Apr 1830
    Punishment Type: transportation,

Original Text:
    814 WILLIAM CORDERY was indicted for stealing, on the 24th of December….
    GUILTY. Aged 15. - Transported for Seven Years .

Details from 1851 census for his sister Ann Corderoy, state she was born in Kentish Town, perhaps William Corderoy was also born there.

Any Forum member suggests areas of further research that would point me to his date of birth and place and where else are convict records held.

I am assting my wife (nee Corderoy) with ancestors history.

James.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Whilst googling, I see that you have also recently made another post about the family - this gives a little more outline.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...d.php?p=205223
    ChristineR

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi
    This is the information I have on William Corderoy. The story my grandmother told us is that William's father, also William, was born in France and died during the French Revolution. In 1793-1802 the wife escaped to England where she died. Five children came to Sydney, Australia 1827-1828.

William was born 18.2.1813 and died 20.6.1898 of senile decay and was a storekeeper at Bowenfels.
    He married Marion Farmer (adopted daughter of Capt. John McArthur. (my grandmother said she was the illegitimate daughter of John McArthur.

They were married at Parramatta 13.2.1846 - as on Sidneys birth cert however Louisa's says 17.9.1846.

They had 8 children - William Thomas, Jane Agnes, Thomas, Arthur George, Louisa Ann, Charles Henry, Emily Harriet (my great grandmother) and Sidney Ernest.

I have further information such as DOB & dates of death, marriages, etc if you are interested.

Kerrie

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Kerrie,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Sadly James is no longer a forum member, but hopefully someone else connected to William will see your post and make contact.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by klgoodridge View Post
    Hi
    ....William's father, also William, was born in France and died during the French Revolution. In 1793-1802 the wife escaped to England where she died. Five children came to Sydney, Australia 1827-1828.

William was born 18.2.1813
    If William Snr. died during the French Revolution then how could he father a child who was born in 1813?

Quote Originally Posted by klgoodridge View Post
    He married Marion Farmer (adopted daughter of Capt. John McArthur. (my grandmother said she was the illegitimate daughter of John McArthur.
    This is probably not true, I have never seen any mention of John and Elizabeth Macarthur adopting anyone. William CORDEROY's marriage as indexed by the NSW Registry:

175/1846
    V1846175 31C
    CORDEROY, WILLIAM
    FARNAS, MARY A
    CJ (Sydney St James' Church of England)

Their children's marriages - Thomas (m1872), Jane Agnes (m1879) and Emily Harriet (m1880) all named their mother as Marion FERNS. Sydney Ernest (m1889) named his mother as Marian FARNES. I don't know where you are getting the name FARMER.

She was most likely Mariann FARNES, born in 1819 the daughter of William FARNES and Martha. She was admitted to the orphan school in Sep 1826 aged 6 years and 6 months and was still there when the census was taken in 1828. At 10 years she was apprenticed as a servant to the Rev. WILTON. He was moved to Newcastle in 1831 and in 1832 William Henry KERR applied to take Mariann as she had been recommended to him. In 1831 her mother was said to be with Major INNES, probably as an assigned servant. This was likely to be Archibald Clunes INNES.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    If William Snr. died during the French Revolution then how could he father a child who was born in 1813?
    I knew something wasn't reading right when I read Kerrie's post but just couldn't put my finger on it.
    Thank goodness for more intelligent forum members than me.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Corderoy Headstone

William Corderoy, of South Bowenfels, NSW died at the age of 85 years.
    here is Williams headstone