Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default South Muskham, NTT.. marriage 1823

If anyone has access to this parish records, looking for any further info on the marriage between John Skinner and Frances Barton, 27 February 1823 in South Muskham, NTT
    Thanks

Beyond that they were married after Banns by Henry Bowman Bacon, Curate. Both parties sign their names. Witnesses: Mary Skinner and John S_Aenor (Both sign).
    No other info given on Parish Register. The second witness name really doesn`t look like Skinner but I suppose it could be - microfiche copy was missing some strokes.

Thank you very much, Mitch. The witnesses may help me narrow down the correct John Skinner. Cannot find where Frances Barton was from either
    All their children were born/baptised in Newark, but the family ended up in Manchester by 1850.

Do you have access to South Muskham baptisms?
    The only Skinner baptisms on IGI are Anne in 1792 and Mary in 1804. Parents of both were George Skinner and Mary. John would have been born about 1800. All other John Skinners I can find have been ruled out

Mona,

Do you have the couple on a census return to give their approximate year of Birth (and confirm place of birth)?
    It would surely help?

Mitch

The only census they are on is the 1841 which has both as age 40 (could be rounded down), living in Newark on Trent, born in county.
    They are not to be found on the 1851 census as they were living in Manchester in the area of the water-damaged returns. (he is listed in the 1850 directory, occupation Joiner)
    John died in May 1857 age given as 57, Frances in Feb 1858, age 57.
    I was wondering if John was born South Muskham. His first born was called Georges, hence the interest in George and Mary and the two births I found in South Muskham.
    Thanks in advance.

correction: John was 56 on death certificate.

Mona,

Next time I go to Nottingham will have a look at South Muskham baptisms for you.

RE 1851 census have you seen:

www.1851-unfilmed.org.uk

which covers the waterdamaged sections of Manchester?

Mitch

Hi Mitch,
    Yep, that is a good site, makes it easier to find people before paying up to view details on Family History Online.
    I have had other people look too, who have the Manchester 1851 unfilmed census transcription on discs, no joy, but I did find the girl who John Jnr eventually married.

I have tracked most John Skinners born in Notts around 1800, and they are not mine, so South Muskham is my last hope! No joy with Frances Barton either,. She must have been well liked as the name Barton was used as a second name in 3 subsequent generations.
    Thanks for your help

Mona, Looking 1792 to 1804 no John Skinner. Mary born 15 June baptised 17 June both 1804 & Anne born 25 April baptised 29 April both 1792. No other info is given. Notts doesn`t have any non-conformist registers for either of the Muskhams either as I had a look.
    Looks like you`re going to have a real dead end with this one thanks to them being missing on the 1851 cenus.
    Mitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast