Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hall/Swan

Default Looking for Irish Records??

Records of Births, Marriages and Deaths

All births, marriages and deaths occurring since 1864 (and non Roman Catholic marriages occurring since 1 April 1845) should be on record in the General Register Office, 8-11 Lombard Street East, Dublin 2. For the period before 1864 parish records provide the only record of most baptisms, marriages and burials. Catholic parish registers are normally still held by the parish priest, but there are microfilms of many of them for the period up to 1880 in the National Library of Ireland, Kildare Street, Dublin 2. In some cases the written permission of the parish priest must be obtained before the microfilm can be seen. The National Archives has a copy of the National Library's list of the registers.

Church of Ireland parish registers for the period up to 1870 are public records. Registers are available for about one-third of the parishes. Many are still held by the local clergy, although some are now in the National Archives and more are in the Representative Church Body Library, Braemor Park, Dublin 14, and P.R.O.N.I. There are microfilms or other copies in the National Archives of some of the registers then held by the clergy. A list of all surviving registers is available in the National Archives. The names and addresses of the clergy are given in the Church of Ireland Directory. A list and a card index of registers in the National Archives may be consulted.

Records of marriage licences provide information concerning some Church of Ireland marriages before 1845. People wishing to obtain a licence to marry without having banns called were required to enter into a bond with the bishop of the diocese. The licence and bonds do not survive (in most cases), but the indexes to the bonds lodged in each Diocesan Court and the Prerogative Court are available in the National Archives. Some of the indexes have been published. Betham's abstracts to Prerogative and Dublin Diocesan marriage licences give further details. Some other records of marriage licences are indexed in the Testamentary card index.

v.wells

Tis very informative and will print a copy as a reminder of the record resources for the Emerald Isle.

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Hall/Swan View Post
    Records of Births, Marriages and Deaths

All births, marriages and deaths occurring since 1864 (and non Roman Catholic marriages occurring since 1 April 1845) should be on record in the General Register Office, 8-11 Lombard Street East, Dublin 2.
    I thought the GRO had moved to Roscommon, Am I wrong?
    Jill

v.wells

They have moved to Roscommon EXCEPT for the Roman Catholic records prior to 1845.

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by JNicLiam View Post
    I thought the GRO had moved to Roscommon, Am I wrong?
    Jill

Yes and No!

The records are indeed in Roscommon but you can't look at them there.

I live beside it and have to go to Dublin to look them up! Yep...a bit Irish!!

Summer

Just thought I would add:
    Irish Family History Foundation (commercial site, throw it into your search engine), is the co-ordinating body for a network of government approved genealogical research centres in the Republic of Ireland (Eire) and in Northern Ireland, which have computerised almost 40 million Irish Ancestral records, primarily Church births (baptisms), marriages and deaths. This site contains the largest collection of Parish records for the island of Ireland that are searchable online. The complete indexes, listing surname, first name, year and county of all records is yours to search freely. To view a detailed record you can purchase credit online for instant access at a cost of €5.00 per record.

I have used it and found it quite helpful from here in Australia, albeit a tad expensive.
    Cheers,
    Summer.

angie gray

Default Finding Were Irish Relatives Came From

How do i find out what area of ireland someone came from if info just says ireland , eg On 1881 census my THOMAS JONES born 1868 Ireland Living Liverpool.

This is the only piece of info i have on this relative and his family, that is on the 1881 census...

Hall/Swan

You'd have a better chance of winning the Lottery 3 weeks in a row....

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by angie gray View Post
    How do i find out what area of ireland someone came from if info just says ireland , eg On 1881 census my THOMAS JONES born 1868 Ireland Living Liverpool.

This is the only piece of info i have on this relative and his family, that is on the 1881 census...
    You'll have to check the 1871, 1891,1901 and 1911 census or find his death registration.

angie gray

Default Re Thomas Jones

I found my THOMAS jONES from Ireland on the 1911 census still alive age 63 , still living Sculcoats Born Ireland and it says DUAMANAY , but i cannot find such a place ...
    Can any one help ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast