Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malster?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Malster?

Hi everyone,

I've traced my Great Great Great Grandfather James Powell born abt 1806 Montgomery, Wales who was a Malster. On the 1841 census the family were living in Raven Lane, Ludlow, Shropshire (next door to a unknown pub run by a Thomas Price).

I've managed to obtain some basic information on what a Malster did (brewed beer) but what really interests me is the practical issues he would have faced in the trade:

Where would he have brewed the beer and how would he have made money (set wage or sales of the beer).

Would he have been freelance or worked for an employer.

How hard was it to learn the trade and from whom (none of his children were Malsters).

James profession was always a Malster from the 1841-1881 census (died 1884) so this was a trade he always did.

James and his family moved from Ludlow to Birmingham and the Black Country (never far from a pub).

Any information or useful links would be great.

Anyway cheers everyone.
    Adrian

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

The maltster prepared the malt from grain, usually to a brewer's specifications. It was a different occupation to that of a brewer who turned the malt into beer. One man might do both of course.

I had a google and this looks to outline the making of malt.

https://www.ukmalt.com/howmaltismade/maltmade.html

ChristineR

Hi Christine,

That's very interesting I just assumed he made the beer so a Malster was only involved in the early stages (I'll read up on the link you gave). I'm wondering if he would have worked at a brewery or for different independent ones. I know he moved around quite alot.

It seems a difficult process to master I'm wondering what training one would have needed.

Many thanks for your quick reply (you're on the ball).
    Adrian

I went back and had another look at that link I gave you. Very interesting - seems that there are three types of maltsters today, and probably was then too.

Brewer Malststers - who own and operate maltings for their own brewing needs.
    Distiller Maltsters - same as above but distill the maltings - that would be spirits.
    Sales Maltsters - who make to the customers specifications in the brewing, distilling or food industries.

So, have a look around him on the census entries, and see if he lives near a brewery or a distillery (I never gave spirits a thought!) Depending on the size of the town, he may supply several brewers who in turn supply the local beer houses.
    ChristineR

On the 1841 census the family were living in Raven Lane, Ludlow, Shropshire (next door to a unknown pub run by a Thomas Price).
    I just noticed this bit
    That pub could employ both a maltster and a brewer.
    ChristineR

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    I just noticed this bit
    That pub could employ both a maltster and a brewer.
    A pub would have to be doing a huge amount of business to employ a maltster and a brewer. The beer at most home brew pubs were brewed by the publican or his wife, probably using malt bought from an independent maltster. Maltsters could be tradesmen working for a brewery or businessmen employing a sizeable workforce.

However, virtually every brewery would have a pub or 'tap' attached where one could sample their wares - the pub in Raven Lane could be such and your chap could be employed by the brewery. Or the brewery that employed him could have been supplying accomodation (they would often own a number of pubs, some of which would have adjacent accommodation). Ludlow has an excellent local history organisation, you could try them to see what they know about the local malting, brewing and distilling trades (I suspect I may even have a book on Ludlow pubs somewhere..).

Here in Newbury malting was big business, many of the largest buildings in town were malthouses (most now demolished). There was also a fair sized brewing business but the maltsters must have been capable of producing far more malt than the local brewers could use (especially as the main ones had their own malthouses).

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

Have you tried looking at Ludlow census registers for 1851 or 1861 or any trade directories to try and identify the name of the pub your ancestor lived next to in 1841? If you know who ran it in 1841, this may help in looking in a directory.

Thomas may well have been his employer in 1841.

Does the 1841 return just say it was a public house?

Ben

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by apowell View Post
    Where would he have brewed the beer and how would he have made money (set wage or sales of the beer).

Would he have been freelance or worked for an employer.
    The 1861 census shows him as "Serv." So it looks like your man was a employee - if he moved around a lot he was probably not in very steady employment - a jobbing Malster.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

If he was an employee then there is little chance of finding any record on him unless you are lucky. He may have set up his own malsting business in later life.

I would still suggest that you look up Thomas Price's pub in Directories as this could at least give you a better idea of his life. I have often traced the employers of my ancestors.

Ben

Adrian
    If you look at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/map...m=1&x=42&y=325 then it shows Ludlow in c 1890, and right in the centre of the screen (not good resolution, but you can read it) is the "Malthouse". This is just to the north of the town on Curve st. /there is also a brewery a little south on curve st just below St Leonards church. If you go slightly further south into the town, and compare it to a google map, then Raven lane (not named but marked on 1890 map) is between Mill st and Broad st (both marked on 1890 map). this is later but businesses lasted longer (or their buildings did) then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast