Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bron

Default Birth c1863 Bettws Bledrws - Advise Please

My great grandfather, Evan Davies, was born in Bettws Bledrws c 1863 according to both the census and his marriage certificate but I have been unable to obtain a birth certificate.
    His marriage certificate shows his father as 'deceased' and a joiner. However I have been unable to trace a father in any of the census returns, his mother Ann is shown as 'unmarried' and he has the same surname as her, although it is quite possible the father could have been a Davies as well - plenty of them around.
    The GRO would normally check 3 years but has given up searching as there are too many Evan Davies.
    Have never seen any parish records. Would there be enough information in the baptism records to get a more exact DOB and where can I find them.
    Thanks.

Davo

Bron

According to Genuki, the non-conformist church ceased to be used in 1857, so your search should be reasonably easyl.
    The National Library in Aberystwyth would likely be best though the County Record Office might have the answer but on Microfische
    Good look

davo

Bron

Thanks Davo

Think I will have to make a trip to Wales and spend some time researching.

Thanks again for your help.
    Bron

jencairns

Default Evan Davies

Dear Bron

I live in BB, if you give me some details I could check the LLGC (National Library) records next time I am there, as I am always looking at the Betws Bleddrws records. I should be going up in the next couple of weeks, snow etc permitting.

Can you let me have the names of any dwellings that have appeared in the census records, or on any certificates you happen to have - partifcularly the marriage certificate which is generally the most useful of certificates - I can then check the parish register for baptismal records of that time in Bettws.

Please include names of any witnesses and any dwellings mentioned. Include change of dwellings as well would be helpful.

I found an Evan Davies (mentioned only) on an inscription in the Baptist graveyard in Silian(this is the dissenting chapel that moved from BB) - this ED was a gof (blacksmith)
    There is a saer of that name (carpenter, so joiner I suppose) mentioned buried in Silian Church graveyard.

There are 8 Evan Davies with births registered in Lampeter - [BB comes under Lampeter]
    Births Mar 1863 (2)
    Births Jun 1863 (2)
    Births Sep 1863 (1)
    Births Dec 1863 (1)
    Births Mar 1864 (2)

One of which might be yours, but remember that if his Mother wasn't married her mother or whoever registered the birth may have been reticent in giving full details.

My g, gg, and ggg grandparents were all Davies from this area... everyone else in my family I sometimes think is called David Evans so I sympathise !

Cheers
    Jen

Bron

Hi Jen
    Thanks for the offer, would be much appreciated.

I have Evan Davies' marriage certificate. He married Mary Jones on 19th October 1883 at St. Peter's Church, Lampeter. Evan Davies details as follows:
    Age 20
    Occupation Tailor
    Residence Looks like Macudir, Lampeter although I cannot trace
    Father Deceased - no name but his occupation was joiner

Mary Jones details
    Age 20
    No occupation
    Residence Cribin-bach, Lampeter
    Father Davies Jones, Labourer

In the 1881 census I have him living with his mother, Anne Davies, at New Cottage, Bettws-Bledrws, both shown as single.

In 1871 I have him living at Tynewydd, BB with his mother Ann again unmarried, Grandfather David Davies and another grandson, John.

By 1891 I have him in the Rhondda. He was definitely still there in the 1920s, so it is unlikely to be buried around the Lampeter area, although his mother probably was and his father if I ever find out who he was.

I can e-mail copies if it will make more sense.

Thanks again
    Bron

Bron

Hi Jen
    A little local knowledge helps, I hadn't realised the close proximity of the Schoolroom, Cottage and New Cottage. It makes a little more sense now.

I know in 1883 when Evan Davies married he was a tailor.

In 1881 he lives with his mother Anne in New Cottage.

In 1971 he lives in Schoolroom with his mother Ann and grandfather David (widower)

In 1961 grandfather David lives in Schoolroom, Tynewydd, BB with wife Jane and daughter Mary. I think I may have found Anne elsewhere in service but not sure.

In 1951 I think my Anne Davies would be the one at Glanyrafon because she is living with her father David, wife Jane, sister Mary and brother Evan, who is also a tailor.

I have however noticed that Samuel Davies, carpenter, lived in Old Cottage in 1861 and Cottage in 1871 and 1881. Although he was married I am wondering if this could be Evan's joiner father, although I think he may have still be alive in 1983 when Evan's marriage certificate mentions 'deceased' having found a possible death in 1888.

So any light you can throw on Evan's parentage would be most welcome.

Thanks
    Bron

jencairns

Hi Bron

As a few snow flakes fell today I saw a pony and trap going past, so grabbed camera and went in pursuit. I caught up with them at Cottage, so have added it discretely to the front of my web site. The pony and trap I have given pride of place to. Quite Victorian !

www.jencairns.com

Look for the HOUSE HISTORY row, and click on the small picture of a yellow house, which should enlarge. This is Cottage. You can see a roof just behind, this I presume was (New) Cottage. I took the photo with my back to the old school.

I was going to the National Library today, but the weather was threatening, so may go next Friday or Saturday if the roads are clear, and I will search for Evan Davies for you. Armed with your info hopefully I will be able to find something useful.

Jen

Bron

Hi Jen

Many thanks. The photo is great. It's so much better when you can put a picture to the words. Hopefully I will get there myself one of these days.

Thanks again.
    Bron

jencairns

Default Betws Bleddrws

Dear Bron

I saw the man who lives in what I thought used to be called New Cottage, and I am right. He said that was its name in days gone by. So the yellow house is Cottage, and the roof etc one can see just beyond is New Cottage - Now called Station View, but the station went courtesy of Beeching in the 60s.

Havent ventured out anywhere recently because of the snow... but hopefully it will clear away soon and I will be able to make my way to Aberystwyth. Hope you are not snowed in!

Jen

Bron

Hi Jen

Thanks for the information. Everything makes so much more sense when you get a bit of background information.

No snow here, too near the sea, but plenty on the moors.

Thanks
    Bron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast