Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fergie

Default Ferguson. Parish of Kincardine

I'm researching the Fergusons who came from Balquhidder to take part in the clearing of Kincardine moss near the area now known as Blairdrummond.

Cheers.

............... (this is my first posting)

Quote Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
    I'm researching the Fergusons who came from Balquhidder to take part in the clearing of Kincardine moss near the area now known as Blairdrummond.

(this is my first posting)
    And welcome to Brit-Gen!
    It's good to see that you've found an appropriate forum. Now, why don't you tell us a bit about your research, perhaps about someone you're stuck on, and we'll see what can be done. Remember to provide whatever info you're already sure of, and tell us where you've already looked.

Lesley

Fergie

I am descended from the Fergusons of the Parish of Kincardine. One of the 'Moss Lairds'
    On the 1841 census, my ancestor, Peter Ferguson is shown as a farmer at Robertson Lane.
    He was born on 18th January, 1801 and was the son of Donald and Murran.
    Peter had siblings called Janet (b1792) Robert (b1795) Mary ( b1797) Catherine (b1798) John (b1803) Alexander (b1805) and Donald (b1807)

The 1814 census carried out by Blairdrummond Estates show a 12 year old Peter living with a Donald and Catherine Ferguson in the area of 'Hill of Drip'. I will assume that Catherine is Donald's scond wife.

Donald and his family vanish after 1814 but by chance I came across the passenger list fir the Brig 'Sophia' sailing from Greenock in 1818 and there they were, Donald (Daniel) and family on their way to Canada. At least I think it's them, or at least some of them. You can see the ships list Here
    I'm stuck after that although I would like to know what they did and where they went after they got there.
    My ancestor Peter, married Ann McNaughtan on 24th November 1824.
    Anyone wants more info on that family, then just get in touch.

Cheers.

Fergie

Can someone help me in demolishing a brick wall.

The 1871 census for Robertson Lane in the Parish of Kincardine, Perthshire, shows my GGG grandparents Peter Ferguson and wife Mary in residence with their 40 year old daughter Marion and robert Ferguson who is their 10 year old grandson.
    I have a birth shown in the OPR for 1859 for Robert Ferguson being born to Catherine Ferguson. I am assuming that Catherine is the daughter of Peter and his first wife Ann McNaughton.
    From there on in, everything is a problem.

I can find no trace of Catherine and Robert on the 1861 census.

I can't find Catherine on the 1871 census.

And dispite a search in the Edinburgh Records Office I can find no trace of either of them after 1871.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can uncover some info on them.

Cheers.

Robertson Lane Farm.

Loves to help with queries Pandad's Avatar

Fergie

Just had a look at the 1871 census on *Ancestry*, the index only - not the actual census record - and assume this is the record in question?
    Year: 1871: Kincardine; ED: 1; Page: 1; Line: 16
    Peter Fergusuon/Head/70(1801)/Kincardine, Perthshire
    Mary Ferguson/Wife/40(1810)/Kincardine, Perthshire
    Marion Ferguson/Daughter/40(1831)/Stirling, Stirlingshire
    Robert Duncan/Grandson/10(1861)/St Ninians, Stirlingshire
    John Fleming/Servant
    Johm Stang/Servant

If this is the correct entry then a couple of points to clarify.

The Ancestry index records the surname of Robert as DUNCAN and not FERGUSON as per your entry. Also, the index has his mother recorded as MARION and not CATHERINE as per your entry.

From the above I assume the mother of Robert is the daughter of Peter and Mary i.e. Marion.

You have found an 1859 OPR record for the birth of Robert and mother Catherine. Suggest you obtain birth certificate as official records began in 1855 and will provide much more detail than OPR.

I am now going to search the 1861 for a Robert DUNCAN with a mother of MARION to see what I come up with.

Loves to help with queries Pandad's Avatar

Not much luck in finding Robert DUNCAN with a Marion. But did find Peter and family in 1861 to 1841 and posted details just in case you do not have them.

1861: Robertson Lane/Kincardine/ED 1/ Page 1
    Peter, 60
    Mary 51
    Peter 15 Son
    Ann Carville 10 Granddaughter

1851: Robertson Lane/Kincardine/ED 3/ Page 4
    Peter 50
    Janet 26 Dau
    John 16 Son
    Christine 13 Dau
    Margaret 10 Dau
    Peter 5 Son

1841:Robertson Lane/Kincardine/ED 3/ Page 11
    Peter 50
    Anne 35
    Janet 16
    Marion 14
    Daniel 11
    Hellen 8
    John 6
    Cathrine 3

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Pandad View Post
    Also, the index has his mother recorded as MARION and not CATHERINE as per your entry.
    Beware this pitfall! The census only records relationship to the head of household, not between individuals. Because Marion Ferguson is recorded as "daughter" and Robert Duncan as "grandson" we can't assume they are mother and son - they could be aunt and nephew.
    It's possible that Robert was registered as Robert Ferguson, illegitimate son of one of the Ferguson daughters, and "going by" his father's name, i.e. Duncan.
    Certainly worthwhile viewing the birth registration for Robert Ferguson, born 12 Dec. 1860 to Catherine Ferguson, at the very least, the place of birth may confirm the relationship.
    Also worthwhile looking for Catherine Ferguson's death between 12 Dec. 1860 and date of 1861 census.

Fergie

Above is a chart that I made up from census returns.

1851....Marion is working as a dairymaid at Blairdrummond House. The whereabouts of Daniel and Helen are unknown

1861.... The whereabouts of Janet and Marion are unknown. Danel, Helen and John have married and moved out. Don't know where Catherine is and Margaret has married. Ann Carville is the result of a brief encounter between Janet and a John Carville.

1871.... Janet is still missing. and Marion has come home. Daniel, Helen. John and Margaret are all married and Catherine seems to have vanished. Don't know where young Peter is but he married Jessie Jamieson in 1873, they had a son, Peter in 1875 and then they all disappear into into the wild blue yonder.

And there you have just some of the puzzles. Hope it hasn't bored you all to death but it was good tell it all to someone else.

( I forgot to say that young Peter is the child of Peter and Mary )

Cheers.

Astoria

I love your chart, how did you create it?

Fergie

I created it in Microsoft Publisher.

I also used Publisher to make the document below. I found it very useful when copying down info from original census documents.

I also made up blanks for 1841 and 1851. The 61 and 71 blanks may have been accidently deleted. (or I just can't find them)

Cheers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast