Mhilsden

Default BARNETT - Surrey/Dorset

Hi there.

I am stuck with a couple of my Barnett ancestors. First one.

William Barnett, b.abt 1885, Betchworth, Surrey. Moved to Bedfordshire, had one son, born in Pavenham, Beds, in 1915, Rainald (my grandfather) and then moved to Dorset, and second son, Derrick J, b.1921 in Bridport, Dorset.

From family telling, William lived his latter life in Dorset, working for a man named Capper Pass, and he worked as head gardener in a Manor House, in Wootton Fitzpaine. There are strange stories about his death, and to my frustration, I cannot find his death reg anywhere, nor that of his wife, Lucy Frances, nor of his son, Derrick. I have found the death reg of Derrick's wife, Dorothy, she died in 2001, in Yeovil, Somerset.

Can anyone help me?

bumblebee

There is this death registration, Derek Barnett, Birth Date: 9 Oct 1921, Feb 2003, Stoke On Trent. Could someone have misspelled his first name. Who registered his wife's death, does it say widow of?

Bumblebee

Mhilsden

Thanks, Bumblebee...I don't know about his wife, I haven't ordered that death cert yet.
    The date would fit...just the spelling...is it possible then that someone could have spelled his name wrong? He was registered by Derrick, and I have a business card of his, and he spells it Derrick himself.

bumblebee

Hi

I would send for Dorothy's death certificate if you can, at least it should say if she was wife of or Widow of.

Do you know if the above birth date on the death registration tallies with Derrick's, if so it may be that whoever registered the death did not know how to spell his name correctly.

Bumblebee

Mhilsden

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
    Hi

I would send for Dorothy's death certificate if you can, at least it should say if she was wife of or Widow of.

Do you know if the above birth date on the death registration tallies with Derrick's, if so it may be that whoever registered the death did not know how to spell his name correctly.

Bumblebee
    I think I will send for Dorothy's death cert...I'll do that once I've got my kiddies to bed...!

I only have a birth reg for Derrick, and it was in the qtr of Oct/Nov/Dec, so it could be the right one. I have spoken to my mum (Derrick would be her uncle) and it is possible that he may still be alive. He had 2 daughters, neither of whom I have been able to find. I suppose I'll know more once I get Dorothy's death cert.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Derek Barnett

Derek Barnett was my mother’s cousin. Derek’s Father was William Barnett and like you I had always heard that he committed suicide but have never found any evidence of this in records or local newspapers of the time. I believe he suffered a heart attack whilst gardening and fell into the pond.
    Derek married Dorothy Cousins in 1944, they had one child who is still alive. Derek and Dorothy lived in Yeovil, Derek worked for Westland helicopters in a fairly senior position. I saw quite a lot of the family when I was a child.
    Dereks Father William was one of 11 children of James Barnett (b 1844), James had 2 wives Sophia Sheppard who he married in 1865, Sophia died in 1881. In 1883 James married Sarah Axton.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 22-01-2017 at 4:21 AM. Reason: Details of living person removed in accordance with our T&Cs.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi nelson12 and welcome to BritGen.

Mhilsden didn't report back as to whether he/she solved the William BARNETT death mystery. However, there is a death in Bridport registration district (which covers Wootton Fitzpaine) as follows:

William BARNETT d. aged 61 at Bridport 1946 June Quarter, Volume 05A, Page 346.

That gives a birth year of 1884/5.

A William BARNETT also appears on the 1939 Register living in Wootton. His birth date and occupation match.

Peter