Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    topaz

Smile CHIDGEY family in Somerset

Hello all,
    I am a newcomer to this site, but have requested info. on various other sites with regards to this name - to little avail!

The family I am interested in lived at 'shells', a cottage which was and still is in the area of Washford Cross. My ancestor Robert Chidgey, lived there from the 1840s into the 20th century.
    I have the usual census information from 1851 on but if anyone could provide any information earlier than this, or perhaps some general information with regards to this area in the 19th century I would be extremely grateful.

Caroline

holc

Question Chidgey of Somerset

Hello Caroline,
    I am also new to this. I see you are interested in the Chidgey family of Somerset. My family of HOLCOMBE of the Somerset area of St Decumans, are also connected to the Chidgey family. I was wondering if you possibly have come across any of their names?

John Holcombe bapt 1752 married Jane Chidgey in 1781 at St Decumans.

His son John Holcombe bapt 1785 in St Decuman's Somerset, also married a Mary Chidgey 8th Sept 1805 at St Michaels Bristol, Gloucester.

Regards,
    Hazel

topaz

Hello Hazel,

The names you mentioned do not appear in my branch of the Chidgey family tree. However, if I do come across any information relating to them, I will of course, pass it on to you.
    My Chidgey's lived in the St. Decumans area from the C17th to the early C20th, so it is possible there could be a connection somewhere?!

Caroline

Fulhamster

Hi Topaz!
    I often got to Somerset where I have lots of freinds and family. The name CHIDGEY is still quite common there. I know that only a few years ago there were Chidgeys at Spaxton, near Bridgewater. It may be worthwhile looking for them in local directories. Good luck!

topaz

Hi Fulhamster,

Thanks for the advice,
    since my initial post here I have had quite a lot of success with the Chidgey's of St. Decuman. I have been very lucky to be in contact with a wonderful lady (who is researching the same Chidgey branch as myself) who visits Taunton record office and checks records for me.

My ancestors and their descendants lived in a cottage in the Washford area, from 1841 to until the 1970s and I have a lovely photograph of the cottage as it is today - sent to me by the present owner.

Caroline

Kevin Chidgey

Default Chidgey Family

Hi Caroline,
    I am a new visitor to this site. I live in Sydney Australia. My wife Liz and I have been researching Chidgey for over 30 years. We wrote a book on the Chidgeys in Australia in 1984 and there is a copy in the Taunton library. We have extensive different trees so far unconnected and are interested in your Robert Chidgey. There are about 20 Robert Chidgeys on our index so to try to find the one you have I need a bit more information such as a second name or his father or brother or his date of birth. Can you help with that?
    Best wishes
    Kevin & Liz

Kevin Chidgey

Default Chidgey Tree

Hi Caroline,
    I have found your tree. Please contact me at kchidgey(AT)bigpond.com
    Best wishes
    Kevin

tintin

Thumbs up Chidgey's in Somerset

Can anyone help I’m looking for relative or info about the Chidgey family from north petherton, Charles Chidgey & Mary Cox, George, william, John, Leonard & Thomas. Charles & Mary were cousins. Born around 1890 Charles in North petherton and Mary in Southampton.

Sandra06

Hello Kevin, I'm interested in the book you wrote about the Chidgey family
    Can it be ordered online, can you help?? I'm also interested to learn if you have
    been able to get details of professions and perhaps even photos/paintings of some
    of the family members. My grandfather was Adrian Thomas Chidgey and his father was Thomas
    Chidgey, as was his father his father before that! - I know that one of the Thomas Chidgey's was a ship owner and also a painter - I believe some of his paintings are in Watchet or Dunster museum. He painter a self
    portrait of himself and one of my Uncles who lives is Williton, Somerset has that painting. Anyway, interested to learn more about your research and book.
    Sandra Chidgey

Sandra06

Default Chidgey descendants in Old Cleeve, Somerset

I'm indebted to Kevin Chidgey (Australia) who has a fantastic array of records for over 100 lines in the Chidgey family. He has my family and it dates back to approx 1770 A William Chidgey and his wife Margaret. I have checked with records and confirm their children were baptised and born in Old Cleeve in 1792 and 1798. I'm now trying to find the birth date of William Chidgey around 1770 but
    only found one record in 1757 that I think might not be him.
    I wonder if anyone has any records in this region that might link to this person.
    Thanks for any help.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast