Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Siennahall

Smile How do I trace a Birth Record In/from Armagh

Hi, Wondered if anyone could help. I am tracing my Gr8 Gr8 Grandfather, Francis McShane, he was born in Armagh (unfortunately, thats the only information on the place) in 1841/42. He joined the army 6th Inniskillings, however, I am just trying to find out more details on that. I would like to try and find his birth record and maybe any other information of his time in Ireland and when he came over to England. I also know that his father was called Richard, and possibly, although not too sure, as there are an awful lot of McShanes, that his mother may have been called Martha. I would be grateful of any help anyone may be able to provide. Thanks very much.

Reputation beyond repute

I'm not an expert on Ireland but isn't Armagh a county?

His army attestation papers should show the parish where he was born. If I were you, I would concentrate on trying to get hold of those first.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...?sLeafletID=14

Siennahall

Smile

Thanks very much for your help. I think you are right, Armagh is a county, although I believe there is a town called Armagh too. Unfortunately, this is the only information there is on the census records etc, which makes me think he could be from the town Armagh. Although I could be very wrong. I am trying to locate his Army Records, although I am having trouble finding them. Once again, thanks very much.....

Hall/Swan

Default Armagh

Armagh is a City in County Armagh.

It was also the record centre for Co Monaghan and parts of Co Cavan prior to 1921.

HTH

Hall/Swan

Default armagh again

Forgot to paste this in last message;

ARMAGH
    Thirty-six miles from Belfast. A city and municipal borough and urban district. It is the seat of the Archiepiscopal See of the Protestant and the Catholic Primates of Ireland. It has a large inland trade in linen, yarn, and corn. Market days--Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Area of municipal boundary 344 acres. Population (1901 census), urban, 7588

Nicolina

Default Armagh

You might have struck it lucky.
    a couple of days ago I received notification that the 1821 Census for Co. Armagh should be completed and online by the end of the year.
    The Census for the Parish of Forkhill, Co. Armagh is already available. A copy of it was found in an old house a few years ago and it has 6344 individuals listed.
    Elaine

Nicolina

Default Francis McShane

I've just done a free search and there were 3 Francis McShanes born 1842 + or - 4 years.
    Church Baptism McShane Francis 1841 Co. Armagh
    Church Baptism McShane Francis 1845 Co. Armagh
    Church Baptism McShane Francis 1846 Co. Armagh

unfortunately it costs 5 Euros to get the full record and typically Irish I cannot see how you are supposed to buy credits.

Nicolina

Default Richard McShane marriages

there are only two marriages listed for Richard McShane in Armagh, one in 1844 and one in 1853.
    Also one baptism but that's not until 1864.

Hall/Swan

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    there are only two marriages listed for Richard McShane in Armagh, one in 1844 and one in 1853.
    Also one baptism but that's not until 1864.
    Maybe they didn't have children until then??

You can look up deaths/wills but not births online!

Siennahall

Thanks Elaine for that information. Where did you find it. It could well be that the Francis McShane b. 1841 is the one I am looking for.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast