Frank Hamilton

Post Newbie tracing the HAMILTON family

I live in WALES but was born in FIFE, and I am researching my Fathers name. I have got back quite far but stuck on a few of the marriages between JOHN HAMILTON & JANET SMELLIE possibly about 1778 in DALSERF,LANARK. Also JAMES HAMILTON & MARGARET RUSSELL possibly about 1699. Tried "SCOTLANDSPEOPLE" but no joy. Can anyone help please.

Regards
    Frank.

greann

Hi Frank,
    These names sound somewhat familiar to me................not sure why, but did they happen to have a connection to the Morton family?
    Ann

gwprice

Frank,
    I've been searching for this family for months, and recently stumbled on your post, now over two years later.
    Have you discovered anything about them?
    According to my records, James HAMILTON born 1686 in Lanarkshire married Margaret RUSSELL born c. 1690 in Lanarkshire.
    They had a son, John HAMILTON born 14 Jul 1700 in Lanarkshire and died c. 1775
    John HAMILTON married Jean THOMSON born 24 May 1702 in Lanarkshire and had six children: Mary, Margaret, Charles, Elizabeth, Thomas, and John. Elizabeth was born about 1722 in South Lanarkshire and married William MORRISON. I believe John married someone named SMELLIE.

That's all I have, and most of it comes from various websites.
    I'm beginning to suspect that James HAMILTON and Margaret RUSSELL are not the parents of the John HAMILTON that married Jean THOMSON because Margaret would be about ten years old when her son was born. Not sure what went wrong there.

I'd love to have everything you know, especially if it makes more sense than what I have.

Thanks!
    -George