Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default 39 Hawley Road Falkirk in 1939

In 1939, when I was just 2 years old and born in Toronto ON Canada. My mother took me over to Falkirk Scotland to visit her family and show me to them. On July 29, 1939 we left Greenock Scotland on the passenger ship Duchess of York and sailed back to the port of Montreal in Canada. I noticed our last address on the document leaving Scotland was 39 Hawley Road Falkirk. Can anyone tell me what that district location may have been like in 1939? Was it a residence or hotel? I know in 1943 the Duchess of York was a troop ship and sunk 300 miles off the coast of Vigo Spain by a German FW-200 aircraft.

mimarae

Default Hawley Road, Falkirk

I have just come across this so you may hae already received an answer, if not, I can help you with information.

Default 39 Hawley Road

I have not received any response as to the address 39 Hawley Road and I would be very pleased to hear from you. I have since learned that my mother took me to Scotland to see relatives June 12, 1939 on the ship Duchess of Richmond which sailed from Montreal to Liverpool. I assume we took a train the rest of the way to Scotland. Our return trip was on July 29, 1939 on the Duchess of York which sailed from Greenoch to Quebec. I await your response on 39 Hawley Road.
    Thank you.
    Bob

mimarae

Default 39 Hawley Road

I used to go to Graeme High Secondary School in Falkirk, Hawley Road ran along the back of this school.

Falkirk back in 1939 was an industrial town, Hawley Road was a residential area, full of lovely bungalows and beautiful detached houses, and it still is. The area around there is one of the better parts of the town.

I will try and get some pictures for you if you like.

Mimes

mimarae

Default Link to picture

If you google "right move" you will be able to search for properties in that area.

There is a house that is pretty close to number 39 Hawley Road.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 24-03-2009 at 6:15 PM. Reason: Commercial link removed

Default 39 Hawley

I'm doubly pleased to receive your info. Firstly, to see that the area is still a well kept residential community. I thought perhaps it may have been a hotel in the old days and an industrial area now. Secondly, to hear from someone who is very familiar with the area adds credibility to the knowledge I received. I think the family relatives living at 39 Hawley Road in 1939 may have been Milne, Train, Mackenzie or Smith. I was only 2 1/2 so I have little recollection of who I saw or their names. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to send me this important background information on my trip to Falkirk. Just an added side note, my mother immigrated to Canada in 1931 on the ATHENIA. She tried to have our return trip booked on that ship but it was all booked up. The ATHENIA was sunk by a German sub Sept. 3, 1939, just 5 weeks after we returned to Canada on the Duchess of York.

mimarae

Smile Ancestry

Thanks for the information about your mother, it is very interesting.

Hawley Road is a lovely area, and it is not far from the Forbes of Callendar estate. It is also within walking distance to the town centre, it would have been a lovely place to live.

I did a bit of googling to see if I could find no 39 for you, with no luck, but if you want any information about Falkirk, let me know.

I have learned that we stayed with my Aunt Jean Milne at 39 Hawley Road.
    She was a widow who married to William Milne, owner of The Milne Manufacturing Paper Box Company.
    He passed away in 1936.

Reputation beyond repute

From the Royal Mail site, the postcode for 39 Hawley Road is FK1 1SJ

Feed FK1 1SJ into Google maps and use streetview for an impression of the street. A UK postcode covers about half a dozen addresses.

Have you tried feeding the address into Google Earth?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast