Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Jenny Butler

Default Spain Family - Bilsington & area

Trying to find more information Spain's all I have is-
    on William Spain d.1779. His will proved in 1779 showed him to be a yeoman w/ farms in Elham & Bislington & several properties in Folkestone.
    His sons named are William DOB unknown, Thomas 1749-1820 ; John b. 1753.

Thomas Spain Farmer & Church warden ;
    Will proved 14 May 1820 He directed that his estate be divided into three equal parts for his son William, a Carrier of Hythe, William Holmes a Schoolmaster of St. Nicholas-at-Wade, and Mark Jarvis, a farmer at Ruckinge.(last 2 are s-in-law)

Thomas also had a daught MAry who had 2 children prior to marrying William Eveden in 1812. Carlotte 1794 and Bridges Carter Spain 1805. Bridges married
    Mary Ann Higgins at Bonningotn 1830 and later the family came to Australia in 1838.

Any help appreciated

Many thanks
    Jenny Butler
    NSW

busyglen

Question More Spains in Kent

Hello Jenny

I know this is much too late for the period you are looking at, but wondered if there was a link here?

1891 Ash-next-Sandwich, Kent
    SPAIN, Thomas, 51, M, Market Gardener, b. Ash, Kent
    SPAIN, Eliza, 41, wife, b. Ash, Kent
    SPAIN, William, 18, son, b. AMERICA
    SPAIN, Nellie, 13, daur. Gentlemans servt. b. AMERICA.

I have a part of the above Census which has several families of SPAIN, and should you be interested in them, please let me know and I will let you have the details.

Good luck.

Glenys.
    Last edited by busyglen; 26-01-2005 at 7:16 PM. Reason: typo

Jenny Butler

Default Re Spains in Kent

Hi Glenys,

As I do not have a lot on Spains - I'm not sure and my UK geography is not the best. Some of the names are familiar. You can contact me oin [email protected] and I will send you an outline of what names I have and that may help.....

Thanks for your note looking forward to hearing from you
    Regards
    Jenny

philspain

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen
    Hello Jenny

I know this is much too late for the period you are looking at, but wondered if there was a link here?

1891 Ash-next-Sandwich, Kent
    SPAIN, Thomas, 51, M, Market Gardener, b. Ash, Kent
    SPAIN, Eliza, 41, wife, b. Ash, Kent
    SPAIN, William, 18, son, b. AMERICA
    SPAIN, Nellie, 13, daur. Gentlemans servt. b. AMERICA.

I have a part of the above Census which has several families of SPAIN, and should you be interested in them, please let me know and I will let you have the details.

Good luck.

Glenys.
    Hi Jenny

I'm a Spain from Kent, UK. I've traced my ancestors to the same area as yours, around the Elham Valley and down towards the Folkestone/Hythe area. I have details of many Spains, but there were thousands of them. I'm currently stuck on John SPAIN (b.1804 in Bushy Ruff / River), son of John and Susanna SPAIN. Maybe we can be of help to each other.

Phil

Hi Glenys
    I've just stumbled across this thread by putting in the surname Spain and Census in the hope of picking up info!
    I've been pretty successful considering the name like this. Anyway, i notice on your thread that you have a Thomas Spain born c1841 and was wondering if he is the same Thomas i have in my tree.
    My Thomas' Father and Mothers names were Thomas Spain and Maria Silver.

I have no information on this person other than he had brothers and sisters.
    William Spain 1830
    Mary Spain 1833
    John Spain 1836
    Susanna 1839
    Thomas 1841
    My tree follows William Spain m Elizabeth Warman.

Most of the Spains in my tree come from either Dover Deal or Nonington.
    I look forward to seeing if there is a connection!

Good luck in your research

Lesley

busyglen

Hello Lesley,

Sorry not to have got back to you sooner, but it's been a bit hectic these past few days.

I have been delving in the Spains on the 1851 Census for Deal, Nonington (not Dover as I don't have that part) and trying to see if I can find any of your names. There's over 100 to go through, so will check it out and get back to you soon.

(They are not in my line, I was just trying to help)

Glenys

busyglen

Hi Lesley,

Well...finished my searching, but couldn't trace any Spains that look like they belong to you. I have quite a bit of the 1851 Census but not all for Kent and went through all that I had for the Deal, Nonington and surrounding areas, but although there were similar names and a couple within two years of the years you mentioned, none had the right names for the rest of the family. Unfortunately there were a lot of Spains around
    which makes your job more difficult. They are akin to my Friend families...there are hundreds and all in the same surrounding areas.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, unfortunately I have limited resources, although quite often they come in handy.

Good luck!!

Glenys

Ok thanks for your time!
    I didn't realise it was such a popular name, I hope i didn't distract you from your own search,

Good luck

Lesley xx

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected].
    Ok thanks for your time!
    I didn't realise it was such a popular name, I hope i didn't distract you from your own search,

Good luck

Lesley xx
    Not a problem Lesley....only sorry I couldn't help in a more positive way.

Glenys

Alasdair Friend

Sorry post too long - split into 2
    This is part 1 of 2

I have just found this thread typing Spain and Folkestone in Google.

I think there was a connection between William Spain (will proved 1779) and John Spain, born in Bushy Rough in 1804, both of whom have been previously mentioned on this thread. William was, I think, the great-grandfather of John.

John (born 1804) is shown in the registers of River (the parish in which Bushy Rough lies) as the son of another John Spain and his wife Susanna. I think the son John was the youngest (so far traced) child of John Spain and Susanna Boorn, who were married in 1787 in Folkestone. The reasons are fairly circuitous!

In the 1851 census, John Spain (born 1804) is shown living in Ramsgate with his family, including his daughter Clara (my ancestor) and a nephew, Charles Oxborough. This nephew was, according to the census, born in Gibraltar about 1828. The rareness of the name and the unusual place fortunately make identification possible: he was one of the sons of William Oxborough, provost marshal in Gibraltar, and his wife Susanna. This Susanna was presumably sister of John Spain, if the description of Charles as nephew of John had the usual meaning.

The eldest known Oxborough child, Charles' brother Henry, was born about 1816 (he was buried in Gibraltar in 1867, aged 51). His mother Susanna was therefore probably born about 1790/1795, and hence would be an older sister of John Spain. This ties in neatly with the baptism in 1790 in Folkestone of a Susanna Spain, daughter of John and Susanna. The parents can be identified as John Spain and Susanna Boorn, married in 1787 in Folkestone.

John and Susanna Spain appear to have moved to Ramsgate, perhaps along with their son John. They appear on the 1841 and 1851 censuses in Ramsgate. On the 1851 census they are shown as living at 4 Rodney Place, Ramsgate. John was aged 85, a former groom, and Susanna was aged 84. Both are stated to have been born in Folkestone.

Susanna Spain died on 21 November 1854, aged 88, and was buried on 26 November 1854, also at St. George, Ramsgate. Her death ties up with the baptism of a Susanna Boorn in 1766 in Folkestone. (This must be the right baptism, because this Susanna Boorn was the daughter of William Boorn and Sarah Cullen, and John and Susanna Spain nee Boorn had a daughter Sarah Cullen Spain, presumably named for her maternal grandmother.)

John Spain died on 12 June 1852, aged 85 years and 2 months (according to his death certificate), or aged 86 (according to the burial entry at St. George, Ramsgate, where he was buried on 17 June 1852). His death (assuming he was in fact 86 years and two months old at death) tier in 1867, aged 51). His mother Susanna was therefore probably born about 1790/1795, and hence would be an older sister of John Spain. This ties in neatly with the baptism in 1790 in Folkestone of a Susanna Spain, daughter of John and Susanna. The parents can be identified as John Spain and Susanna Boorn, married in 1787 in Folkestone.

This 'William Spain of Folkestone' was in turn the son of another William Spain 'Yeoman of Folkestone', who left lands in Elham, Bilsington and Folkestone in his will (dated and proved 1779). This identification is confirmed by a bequest in this will of £10 to Elizabeth Marshall, stated in the will to be "daughter of my son William's wife by another husband". This must refer to a daughter of 'Mary Marshall widow', who married William Spain in 1765.

Continued next post...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast