Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Alasdair Friend

Part 2 of 2

The younger William (who married Mary Marshall) seems to have been a widower in 1765. This is because the elder William (testator of 1779) left land in Folkestone to his grandson William, son of his son William. (Too many Williams and Johns!) This last William (the grandson) can, I think, be identified with William Spain, Carpenter, of Folkestone, whose will was dated and proved in 1836. He was buried on 25 October 1836, and was aged 83 at death - hence born about 1753. (The testator of the will of 1836 cannot be the son of the testator of the will of 1779 because, as already shown, this son married in 1765, and so cannot have been born as late as 1753.) The simplest explanation is that William the carpenter (born about 1753,he son of William and Mary Spain. This in turn ties in with a marriage in 1765 in Newington next Hythe of 'William Spain of Folkestone' and 'Mary Marshall widow'.

It seems quite possible that William the yeoman (who died 1779) also had two wives. His youngest known son, John, was baptised in 1753. However his eldest son William became a father in 1753 (to William the carpenter), and so cannot have been born much after 1733 - perhaps 1730 is a good guess at this birth date. While it is not unknown for a single marriage to have produced children over a 23 year period (o married William Spain in 1765.

In summary:

Generation 1 - William Spain, yeoman of Folkestone. Died 1779 in Folkestone. Married Sarah (possibly not the mother of his eldest son William). Had three sons - William, Thomas and John (born 1753). His will also names: his wife Sarah; his son William's son William; his son Thomas' daughters Sarah, Mary and Ann; his son John's daughter Elizabeth; also Elizabeth Marshall "daughter of my son William's wife by another husband".

Generation 2 - William Spain. Born probably about 1730. First wife is unknown. Married second wife Mary Marshall widow in 1765 in Newington next Hythe. Had at least two sons - William (born 1753, died 1836) by his first wife, and John (born 1766) by his second wife Mary Marshall.

Generation 3 - John Spain. Born 1766 in Folkestone. Died 1852 in Ramsgate. Married 1787 in Folkestone, to Susanna Boorn, daughter of William Boorn and Sarah Cullen. She was born 1766 in Folkestone, and died 1854 in Ramsgate.

Generation 4 - John Spain. Born 1804 in Bushy Rough, baptised at River. Died 1884 in Ramsgate.

Can anybody get back further than the elder William (testator of 1779) - is there a connection to the earlier Elham Spains? All assistance very welcome.

Thanks

Alasdair Friend
    Last edited by Alasdair Friend; 14-06-2006 at 10:12 AM.

Jenny Butler

Default Alsadair / Phil re Spains

Hello,

Just caught up with Alasdairs post and if you can track them to William 1779 then I have a little more on the other downline (William Spain & Sarah Goddard's son Thomas who married Margaret Deal in 1772).

Phil, apologies, just found your note. Alsadairs helps tie them in somewhat.

my email is [email protected] and am happy to exchange info. Study is finshed and computer rebuilt so should be able to reply....

Many thanks
    Jenny B

katspain

Default hey

Hey jenny i was wondering if u knew of any spains that live and was born in kent as i need to find my family. thank you reagards katherine caroline spain

Jenny Butler

Default Hi Katherine re Spains

Hi,
    Do not have a lot of info - what sort of time frame are you looking at? and what are some of the names you are chasing? There are a lot of Spains in this part of England for a start which makes it harder...

cheers Jenny

Gordon S

Default Spain

Hi from Taupo, NZ
    Still trying to locate any information on:
    Susannah SPAIN (b.20 Mar 1839 in Newington, Kent). Married Edward Francis FORDRED (b.20 Oct 1834 in Lyminge, Kent). She died in 1868 in Bridge, Kent. Her father was Thomas SPAIN (b. c1782, in Folkestone, Kent) and mother was Maria ? b. c1794 in Eastry, East Kent. She died before 1861.
    Any connections here now that I have edited original information?
    Gordon Stevenson
    Last edited by Gordon S; 14-02-2008 at 7:05 AM. Reason: Incorrect original data.

Jenny Butler

Hi Gordon,
    Sorry none of those names match anything I have but someone else may come up with something.

Happy hunting
    Jenny

Gordon S

Default Spain!

Jenny, Thanks. Didn't realise it is/was such a popular name in the area. Have some leads provided by other contributers but need to spend time time time!
    Regards
    Gordon

Default Susanna(h)

Hi Gordon

I just saw your post and i have Susanna in my tree, some of our information doesn't quite match, i.e dates for the parents Thomas and Maria.
    Maria's name was Silver and i have a birth date c1797 Thomas i have as c1778

Thomas and Maria's children that i have are:
    William b 1830
    Mary b 1833
    John b 1836
    Susanna b 1839
    Thomas b 1841

I descend from William

I'm afraid i don't have any information at present but will keep you informed of any i may find.

regards

Lesley

lisingreece

Default Spain family Ruckinge

Hi this is just to tell you that I am in the process of working on Ruckinge PR's.

I have to leave the house to use the internet so it may be a week or so before I give you any Spains living in Ruckinge.

All the best
    Lis

lisingreece

Default SPAIN

Hi sorry it has taken me so long to tell you almost nothing!!
    All I have in Ruckinge is Ann Spain c 24/3/1833 d/ Bridges & Mary.

There are many Spaynes but these are in the 16th & 17th centuries.

all the best to you all

Lis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast