Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Ann_Cestor

Smile Pay Lists and Muster Rolls

Yes, Freddie and I are are now focusing in on the Pay Lists and Muster Rolls to try and find out more about our rellies dates of joining and movements in order to piece together their military history.

Let's hope they are as fruitful as they promise to be!

SloopJB

Smile Military Records

Don't forget to look at the medical records also.

If your ancestors are like my man they will spend most of there service in sick bay or convalescing whilst in India.

Sloop.

Ann_Cestor

Red face The Sinkibg of The Teuton

The Sinking of The Teuton

Hi all

During my investigation into the movements of some soldiers of the 2nd/4th (later The King's Own) and why they came back to England after the Zulu war instead of going to Bombay with the rest of their regiment, I came across an interesting bit of maritime history.

I read that when the Teuton, a steamer which was used to transport troops to and from Zululand, along with many others, was outbound from Simonstown on 30th August 1880, it sank off Quoin Point with only 39 survivors of the 272 aboard. This was because only one of the three lifeboats was launched on the assumption that for technical reasons the boat would not sink.

Now I know that a soldier named Warneford of the 2nd/4th returned to England with 44 other men of the 2nd/4th and I was wondering if these were the survivors of the Teuton. My GGfather returned to England (London) too and we don't know why, along with a few other men of 2nd/4th whose names we know.

I can't find any details of the people who drowned or if they were soldiers or not on their way to Bombay or wherever. You'd think this would be recorded somewhere. I can only find 2 references to this tradgedy, one is the list of maritime losses, and the site where I read about it which belonged to the Castle Steamship Co if my memory serves me correctly.

Does anyone have any more information on this.Does anyone know which ship picked up the survivors and where they took them to? Does anyone know if it was HMS Shah which came to their rescue.? If so this would explain a family reference to the word Shah.

Ann_Cestor

Default The Sinking of the Teuton

Hi all

I've now found out the sinking was infact in 1881 despite the site I got the information from ambiguously indicating it was 1880. This 1881 timeframe means that it is outside the timeframe for my GGF. I have also now found the list of those aboard with who survived and who drowned.

freddie999

Default English hospitals used for returning 2nd batt/4th Foot King's Own Royal Lancaster soldiers

My GGF travelled on the infamous Serapis 1881 census withe the 2nd batt/4th Foot King's Own Royal Lancaster regiment to Poona. I found him in the pay-roll and muster books in the National Archives. It would appear that my GGF spent about 4 months in hospital. The last entry I can find for him states "sent to England". If he has had a long term illness or injury, then he would be of no service to his regiment, his return was inevitable. I assume that the regiment would take care of their men, and would have returned him to a regimental hospital here in the UK, can any one, suggest what this may be? And where I could find any records for the hospital?

Thanks

Craig

Valued member of Brit-Gen

My g grandfather James Sumsion was in the Zulu war,
    He join the Buffs in 1871, I assumed he got the medal with them but he's not on their list.
    He did get a medal because a cousin (James grandson who is a little older than me has the medal)
    I'm not sure which regiment he ended up in but it wasn't the Buffs, he little book which tells where he was and when which is also with my cousin (sorry my dad's cousin) it did say he was in the battle of Kambula, it took a while before I found this information as I couldn't read it, I was checking all the books I could at Kew, and one reference was Kambula with the date g granddad had in his book. When he returned home he was sent to Nettly I think this is how it was spelt, |I believe it was a hospital near Southampton). I have still to check out whey he was sent there and for how long. By 1881 he had returned to Colerne in Wilts and married my g grandmother. He ended up having a Military funeral in 1941. Love to hear if someone has any idea who I can check out Nettly Hospital
    Irene Dredge nee Simpkins

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Irene,

Have no idea about checking for the hospital records but I can confirm that the correct spelling is Netley. (I have a friend who lives there. The place, not the hospital.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you Pam, looking forward to the day we can all go and do our f/h without any restrictions. Irene

Have you seen the report of his funeral in the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette for Sat 5 June 1941? It's about half a column. It doesn't mention regiments, etc, but does list the tags on the flowers - lots of family, friends and also the Postmen at Box, and "fellow workers at Luckingham Estate".

Yes I have Lesley thank you, in fact my father had kept a copy of that which was a great help. Irene

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345