Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    salcat

Craig

If you want to find posts you have made, click on UserCP on the left of the dark blue toolbar just below the red Brit-Gen banner. If you scroll down a bit, there is a link to Subscribed Threads, which will take you to a list of all the threads you have contributed to.

hth

Sally

freddie999

Can you give me an idea of how I can find out when my GGF signed up with the regiment or left it, is there somewhere I can look? I have looked at some papers at the National Archives, but didnt find him.

Thanks again

If possibile please email me on huntlikewolf862 (at) aol.com
    Last edited by Geoffers; 19-11-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Remove direct link to e-mail address

freddie999

Where can I find details of my GGF regiment number, when he signed up, and left the army?

Thanks

Craig

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by freddie999 View Post
    Where can I find details of my GGF regiment number, when he signed up, and left the army?
    Thanks
    Craig
    Hello Craig, you don't need to post the same question twice within a few hours, members who check through messages will be able to pick up your request from the first message (I've edited it to remove the direct link to your e-mail address as it is not recommended to include this on public forums).

Army records are held at The National Archives. They have loads of research gudies to help - British Army

Also, this thread tells you how to search for the file that may contain hsi service documents at TNA - How to find some British Army records

Where to look for his service record depends on when he left the army. There was a reorganization in 1881 which led to records being stored differently from 1882 onwards.

So, looking for a Private Jenkinson in the 2/4th - his record may be included in this file if he left before 1882 - Pte JENKINSON <1882

or in one of these two files if he left from 1882 onwards.
    WO97/3153
    WO97/3154

His record may be amongst the misfield documents, but try the above files first.

Can you narrow down when your chap left the army?

Did he have any children whilst in the army? - Or if not, when was the earliest childn born when he was not in the army?
    Did he marry whilst in the army?
    Does he appear in the 1891 census and if so what was his occupation?

freddie999

Thanks, sorry about the multiple messages, I am struggling to find my way around the site, so I cannot find if anyone has replied to me, that's why I keep putting my e-mail address in my message. I looked through a box of papers at the National Archives and didn't find anything. He married in 1887, and was settled down with a family in the 1891census. With all this soldiering Icant imagine where he had chance to meet his bride!!!!

Thanks

Again

Craig

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by freddie999
    Thanks, sorry about the multiple messages, I am struggling to find my way around the site, so I cannot find if anyone has replied to me, that's why I keep putting my e-mail address in my message.
    It's best not to put a direct link to your e-mail address - instead of typing in the @ - replace it with (at) - e.g. mickeymouse (at) disney.com

Finding your way around comes with practice.

Salcat has provided one way in a message, above.

A second way is to simply click on your name in any thread to which you have oposted a message. You will get a drop down menu which includes the option to 'Find all posts'; which will display the last 500 or so messages that you post.

You think you've got problems - wait 'til you've got up to a few thousand messages.

Having looked through a box (piece) at TNA, you appreciate how they are stored. It all depends on getting the right box which in turn depends on carrying out the right background research to give yourself the best chance of locating the fdocument that you want. Which box did you look through (what was the reference?).

freddie999

Default 2nd/4th Foot, 1878 t0 1885 uniform

I have looked through the boxes of papers, recommended, but without any success. I am preparing a small personal booklet for my family history research, for which I try to collect some information to illustrate the story of my ancestors.

I have found a picture of the uniform for a private in the 2nd/4th Foot regiment. The picture I found includes a red jacket, white belts crossing the chest, the hat is black, and is the shape of a top hat. Do I have the correct uniform?

Thanks

Crig

Ann_Cestor

Smile 2nd/4th Uniform

Hi Freddie

Don't forget that the regiment is ancient and went through a few different uniforms over time. You need to make sure the uniform you've found corresponds to the uniform in the time period your ancestor served. It sounds like a very much older uniform that you've found there.

If I'm right your ancestor served with mine in Zululand (1879 etc), so the uniform will be a close variation to all the pictures of our soldiers in Zululand around i.e red high neck tunic jacket, blue trousers and white tall hard helmet for service in the tropics (think Michael Caine in the film). From what I've read the differences in regiments came in by the different badges and belt buckles etc, only minor differences for infantry, unless you were in a different type of regiment i.e. on horseback, when you'd have a different bit to do with riding. I'm no expert, but that is what I understand.

I did look up the uniform that my GGF wore when I first researched it. I'll try to find the site again and let you have the address.

The uniform you are describing sounds like something from the 1700s with the crossed black straps over the chest and tall black hats.

Ann_Cestor

Smile Your Ancestry Booklet

Hi Freddie

I'm prepaing a similar booklet for my family too. I have collected a lot of pictures to illustrate my text, including original pictures of the Serapis (bought from a prints company not found on internet) 1879 Zulu war medal and bar with ribbon, Zululand army photos at the time, Zulus, Terrain in Zululand etc, the list goes on. I'll email them to you if you like??

If you Google Baden Powell's Diary (or I'll give you the site address) he describes the voyage he took on the Serapis via Suez canal in detail, including sounds, weather, marine life seen etc, it's fascinating. You can relive the experience our relatives had on that 1881 journey to Bombay.

If you look on Ebay there are sometimes original prints for ships/boats like the Serapis, that's where I got mine from.

Beware, this topic is addictive!!!

Ann_Cestor

Smile National Archives Army Records

Hi Freddie

I went to the Archives site and it says they the records were are interested in are being digitised over the next three years, so to check with them before going if the records will be available to look at.

You sound as if you're near enough to go without too much of a waste of time/money. I'm up in Yorkshire so a wasted trip for me is a big deal.

Any chance we could co-ordinate efforts/information on availability down there?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast