keren

Default Thomas Barton Lochmaben

Hi, I have just discovered that my gr gr grandad Thomas Barton, was born in Lochmaben, Dumfries around 1847, can anyone tell me which are the best sites to use to track him down? He was alive and kicking in Manchester in 1861.

Will I have to use the parish church records? (I vaguely remember the records started at a different date to England) if so does anyone have any ideas if they are online?

Dumfries is my favourite place in Scotland, from going there camping as kids, and I have taken my own children there, so am really excited that one of the most loveliest places I have been is where some of my ancestors came from!

Cheers
    Keren

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Thomas Dobie Barton, father David Barton, mother Elizabeth Lockie, Lochmaben, Dumfries, 2/7/1847 GROS ref 840/0031 0158

From Scotlands People website. https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
    where you can also view the image (pay to view).

Michael

keren

Cheers, I have just joined and now have the print out!!

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

One point, unless you know the names of his parents already, there is another Thomas Barton b Lochmaben about 1846, son of Matthew Barton and wife Jesse - refer the 1851 census for Scotland.

Might need checking out, unless you are sure of the parents.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by keren View Post
    Hi, I have just discovered that my gr gr grandad Thomas Barton, was born in Lochmaben, Dumfries around 1847, can anyone tell me which are the best sites to use to track him down? He was alive and kicking in Manchester in 1861.

Will I have to use the parish church records? (I vaguely remember the records started at a different date to England) if so does anyone have any ideas if they are online?

Dumfries is my favourite place in Scotland, from going there camping as kids, and I have taken my own children there, so am really excited that one of the most loveliest places I have been is where some of my ancestors came from!

Cheers
    Keren

I see that you've been given the info you were looking for. You might want to note that I've started a series on sources for scottish researchers on the General Scottish research section.

Lesley

Fiona67

Default 1881 Census

Is this him?

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
    Thomas BARTON Head M Male 34 Scotland Joiner
    Sarah BARTON Wife M Female 40 Congleton, Cheshire, England
    David BARTON Son U Male 12 Manchester, Lancashire, England
    Florence BARTON Daughter U Female 6 Manchester, Lancashire, England
    George Leslie BARTON Son U Male 3 Manchester, Lancashire, England
    William BARTON Son U Male 1 Manchester, Lancashire, England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source Information:
    Dwelling 21 Higher Ormond St
    Census Place Chorlton On Medlock, Lancashire, England
    Family History Library Film 1341936
    Public Records Office Reference RG11
    Piece / Folio 3920 / 83
    Page Number 29