Izzycat

Default David POWELL 1815 Llanspyddid

David POWELL is my 3 x gt grandfather & says he was born in Llanspyddid in the census returns. David's daughter, Margaret, is my 2 x gt grandmother & she married Thomas BOULDIN in 1865 in Aberdare.

Thomas' brother Edward married Margaret PRICE who was also from Llanspyddid, in 1868, also in Aberdare and a witness to the marriage is Howell POWELL, brother to the above Margaret BOULDIN nee POWELL. Margaret had 2 step fathers called William POWELL from Talgarth & area.

David POWELL married Catherine WILLIAMS in 1838 in Faynor parish church and his father is shown as Richard POWELL.

There seem to be many POWELL's in Llanspyddid and at this point I don't know who is who.
    Eileen

norajean44

Am also researching a DAVID POWELL but one born much earlier than yours. My David Powell was born about 1775 in the area of Llanspyddid and was a farmer. He married JOAN PARRY on 31 Dec 1814 in Llanspyddid. The "Breconshire, Wales Marriages, 1813-1837" states that Joan Parry was from Devynnock Parish. In 1815 their son Llewellyn was born in Llanspyddid. Shortly thereafter they emigrated to the US and settled in Pennsylvania. Joan was pregnant with my 3X Great Grandfather David Powell II. David Sr. died about 1830 and Joan died a few years later. Llewellyn and David were of an age to strike out on their own. There were 2 younger children who were placed in the custody of others by the Probate Court. David married and with his family settled in the West. He was of a pioneering spirit and often left his wife and children to go further West. He died in Oklahoma and is buried there.

I know this is a long story and that there were a great many Powells in Llanspyddid, but mayhap our Powells were related in some way. Perhaps someone familiar with Llanspyddid could shed some light.

Nora

gower110

Quote Originally Posted by norajean44 View Post
    Am also researching a DAVID POWELL but one born much earlier than yours. My David Powell was born about 1775 in the area of Llanspyddid and was a farmer. He married JOAN PARRY on 31 Dec 1814 in Llanspyddid. The "Breconshire, Wales Marriages, 1813-1837" states that Joan Parry was from Devynnock Parish. In 1815 their son Llewellyn was born in Llanspyddid. Shortly thereafter they emigrated to the US and settled in Pennsylvania. Joan was pregnant with my 3X Great Grandfather David Powell II. David Sr. died about 1830 and Joan died a few years later. Llewellyn and David were of an age to strike out on their own. There were 2 younger children who were placed in the custody of others by the Probate Court. David married and with his family settled in the West. He was of a pioneering spirit and often left his wife and children to go further West. He died in Oklahoma and is buried there.

I know this is a long story and that there were a great many Powells in Llanspyddid, but mayhap our Powells were related in some way. Perhaps someone familiar with Llanspyddid could shed some light.

Nora
    Hi Nora, I am uncertain whether I have contacted you before? Please accept my apologies if so.
    I am also researching the Powell family for a family in NY, USA. Are you in contact with them?
    I am in Wales, UK. Would love to make contact......thanks

Izzycat

My David Powell's father was Richard but I have no information about him other than his name. David's daughter, Margaret (my 2 x gt grandmother) died in Dravosburgh, Pennsylvania in 1882 and is buried there. I believe my Powell family were non conformists so information may be difficult to find in Wales. I live in hope though.

janbooth

If I have the correct marriage, it actually took place on 2 December 1839 at Vaynor, Breconshire, and shows that Catherine was married to David POWELL, son of Richard POWELL, Labourer, as Catherine EVANS, spinster, father Evan WILLIAMS, Labourer, so was she illegitimate or had she been married previously? Findmypast, a pay per view website, have many Welsh records, so it could be worth your while searching them and if you find anything relevant taking out a pay per view sub.

Janet

janbooth

Ancestry has a Family Tree for a Richard POWELL born c1771 in Llanspyddid. He appears to have married twice but nowhere on the Tree is there a baptism for a David POWELL to this Richard. The date of Richard's baptism on the Tree is confirmed by the parish register image on Findmypast but other details on the children of Richard are very sparse!

Unfortunately, the actual parish register images of Llanspyddid (Llansbyddyd on FMP) stop in 1812 and Ancestry does not have a baptism for a David POWELL c1814, father Richard, in Breconshire.

Janet

Izzycat

Smile

Hello Janet

Yes that is the correct marriage. Catherine wasn't illegitemate, Evan Williams was her father but I think that her name is entered in the patronymic style although 1839 was late for this to be happening. On all her children's birth certificates her name is shown Catherine Powell nee Williams.
    I have subscriptions to both Findmypast & Ancestry - this is a line that I have not worked on for some time so I think I may just do so.

Many thanks for your help

Eileen