JaneJ

Default Richardson/Muir (Mure/More)

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie and need some help and hope someone out there can give a poor woman a some peace of mind....

I've hit a brick wall with my 3rd G/Grandfather John RICHARDSON. I've been unable to find birth or death records for him.
    The information I have on him so far (some surmised).
    He was a Butler/Coachman, maybe for the MAXWELL'S of Springkell, Kirkpatrick, Dumfries, (see daughters birth details below),

He was born approx 1790 in Kirkpatrick??? now this info I got from the Mormon Web site and we know how accurate this can be...lol.

He married Nicholas MUIR (I've been unable to find marriage), they had 4 children that I know of, James, Jannet, Jane and Jessie.

I believe he died before 1841 as there is no mention of him after this date, and Nicholas is said to be a widow on the 1851 Census.

Any information that may help or pointers in the right direction, would be very welcome.

Nicholas MUIR..
    Born: Approx 1790 MINNIGAFF (age from death cert' and census 1841-71)
    Died: 04/08/1875 at Burnside, KIRKPATRICK DURHAM. Informant Robert Knox nephew. (also son-in-law).
    Parents: Robert MUIR, (farmer) and Margaret HOPE.

Nicholas was a Sick Nurse and Midwife and lived in Penninghame 1841, and Minnigaff 1851, 61, 71.

Their children were:

James RICHARDSON (Cabinet Maker)
    Born: 18/09/1822 at Barnfoot, KIRKPATRICK FLEMING. (OPR)
    Died: 08/05/1864 at 10 Richard St, GLASGOW. (death cert')
    Marr: 23/05/1852 in GLASGOW to Jane BUCHANAN (OPR)

Jane Stewart Maxwell RICHARDSON.
    Born: 06/11/1825 at Sprinkell, KIRKPATRICK FLEMING. (OPR)
    Died: 01/06/1903 at Burnside of Culshaw?? KIRKPATRICK FLEMING. Informant Dora REID, cousin. (death cert')
    Marr: 14/02/1870 in Minnigaff, to Robert KNOX, Landed Proprioter. (widower and cousin) (marr' cert).

Jannet RICHARDSON
    Born: 18/05/1824 KIRKPATRICK FLEMING (Mormon Web Site)
    believe she died in infancy

Jessie Hope RICHARDSON
    Born: 1824?? (age from death cert' & census reports)
    Died: 10/06/1856 (single) buried MINNIGAFF, informant Matthew Johnston Minister of the Parish.

This is a bit long winded I know, but if anyone can help it would be great.

Jane.|
    Last edited by JaneJ; 29-09-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Silly me...got wrong year on Jannet's birth...will learn to read one day....lol

JustJean

Hi Jane

Ummm.....I think you're got a misread of the FamilySearch entry for Jannet...actually she's listed as 1824 not 1822. See below....

JAMES RICHARDSON - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 19 SEP 1822 Kirkpatrick-Fleming, Dumfries, Scotland

JANNET RICHARDSON - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Christening: 18 MAY 1824 Kirkpatrick-Fleming, Dumfries, Scotland

JANE STEWART MAXWELL RICHARDSON - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Christening: 06 NOV 1825 Kirkpatrick-Fleming, Dumfries, Scotland

Of these three records only Jane's is an OPR entry and the other two are submittals. It might be worthwhile tracking down who submitted the entries to see what their source was. Since you say you have a DC for Jessie Hope Richardson I'm wondering if Jannet is your Jessie. The names are generally interchangeable. That would cut the total children to just 3. If there were no more then it might indicate an early death for John. Have you tried to find any burial info for the area?

Best wishes
    Jean

JustJean

You've got it sorted now!!

Best wishes
    Jean

JaneJ

Hi Jean
    Wrote my original message in the wee hours and not with it....lol

I wondered if Jannet and Jessie might be the same person, I've not been able to find the original OPR entry, dispite several visits to Edinburgh.

Other than the Mormon Web Site, I'm not sure how to find the burial records for John Richardson, when I went to Scotlands People a chap there said it was unlikely I would find them!!! He was a bit busy and I felt I could not ask his advice, sometimes you can be made to feel a bit stupid, so I let it drop hoping I would work it out on my own....that's why I'm here......"on my own" didn't work....lol

Would you have any pointers Jean? I get up to Edinburgh about twice a year and had been thinking about going over Kirkpatrick for a look around, but wondered if there was anything I could look up on the web?

I've done some reseach on Springkell House, and there is a History Society up there I would love to pop in and see, it will have to be in the spring now...really need to learn patience...lol

Jane

JustJean

Hi Jane

If you've looked then it's more than likely then that there is no surviving baptism entry. These OPR records are (as you probably know) just Church of Scotland. But since they had Jane baptised and recorded you'd have thought they were Church of Scotland parishoners...which they may well have been. It might just have been a lackadaisical registrar!! A peek at the reference "Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland" by V. Ben Bloxham tells us this about the state of the OPR records in Kirkpatrick-Fleming...

Births: Entries out of the order of time occur occasionally. Mother's names are not recorded until 1784.
    Marriages: No entries 1762 or May 1772-Feb 1776. Record ends July 1776, except one entry for 1836 and one for 1843.
    Deaths: No entries.

That doesn't look hopeful for any burial data and it sounds like through the years things were a little hit or miss in the other recording departments! Since there were no burial records maintained your only hope would be a monumental inscription. In order to have this he would have to have a stone and this may not be the case. Have you tried to figure out other Richardson families in the area that he might be related to or buried amongst? Don't suppose anyone ever left a will? Also...can't ignore the fact that he may well have died in another Parish. His widow afterall did move to Penninghame and Minnigaff. Have to warn you though....Mr. Bloxham states that there are no surviving burial records for either of these parishes either.

I wondered too since you really seem to know nothing at all about him if he might have been married before Nicholas and had other children. That could account for an early death for him becasue he might have been alot older than her. I didn't search for any but are there any births to just a John Richardson no mothers name or a John and someone else that could have been him?? Have to grasp all the straws at times like this

Best wishes
    Jean

JaneJ

Thumbs up

Hi Jean,

Thankyou for all your help, you have given me a whole new way of looking at the problem.

I took you advice and searched for prev' marriages for John, and I have narrowed it down to a possible five

I'll need to go on to Scotlands People to confirm or dismiss, if not one of them, then I will have to take another look at the other 35....lol

Once again Many Thanks and I'll let you know how I get on.

Jane.