Jeanette63

Default LEEs born in Law/Carluke

I'm trying to find any descendants from the following brother/sisters who were born in Carluke:

THOMAS LEE (dob 23/02/1898, Lawmuir Cottage, Law, Carluke)

SARAH JOHNSTON LEE (dob 14/06/1899 Law, Carluke) (died 15/07/1983 Paisley) (who married Robert George Welsh on 02/01/1920 Edinburgh)

GRACIE McMILLAN LEE (dob 02/09/1904 Carnwath Rd, Carluke)

LETITIA LEE (dob 16/09/1906 Carnwath Rd, Carluke)

Their sister (ISABELLA INGRAM LEE, dob 16/09/1902 Law, Carluke; died 03/07/1951 Edinburgh) was my Dad's mother.

Their parents names were ALEXANDER LEE (dob c1877 New Kilpatrick, died 10/08/1949 Edinburgh) and ISABELLA LEE (maiden surname McMILLAN) (dob 11/04/1881 Carluke, died 08/02/1919 Colinton)

If anyone can help, that would be great. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

pamsisk

Default Lee family from Carluke

Hello: My grandfather was Thomas Lee, DOB 2/23/1898! We just started tracing our family history and didn't think we could go really far with his side of the family as all of his children are deceased, except my mother. She is 84 and only has bits and pieces of her dad's family. Tom was married to Priscilla Callister DOB 12/13/1903; they had five children: an infant who died in Scotland at 4 mos of age, Thomas, Daniel, Isabella (who died at age 16), and my mother. I will have to get dates of birth and death of my uncles and Aunt Isabella. My grandparents came to the US in around 1922 (I do have the actual dates, but couldn't wait to get this off to you!) They settled in the Toledo, Ohio area, where they lived until their deaths. Aunt Grace (sister) and her husband, Malcolm, came to the US shortly after my grandfather and his wife in about 1922, also settling in Toledo. We have been told that Alexander Lee married again after his wife, Isabella MacMillan died in 2/8/1919. My grandfather told his family through the years that his dad abandoned his children from his first marriage and did not acknowledge that he had any children. Not sure if that is accurate. Also, something bad happened to him in the war (he was in the British Navy) that affected him his entire life, but he told no one what happened. Aunt Grace had twin daughters, and a son, can't remember at the moment what his name is. One of the twins and the son are still alive. My Uncle Tom died a few years ago and we have a small box of photos and documents that his family found and gave to us. In it, we found passports, ship manifests, love letters to my grandmother from my grandfather, marriage certificates, death notices, etc. We have just started trying to figure out who is who. Many of them are from my grandmother's side (Callister). We have a death notice of a child named Thomas Roy, parents James and Margaret Roy, who died Jan 15, 1922 at the age of 1. Have no clue where the Roy family fits in. If you know of a link to that family, I'd appreciate the information. I live in Palm Harbor FL with my husband, and we have two children. . I'd love to hear from you and maybe together we can fill in the missing puzzle pieces of the Lee family! God bless, Pam Sisk
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 04-03-2020 at 9:02 PM. Reason: Details of living people deleted in line with our current T&Cs.

Jeanette63

Default Re: Lee family from Carluke

Hi Pam!

I was so excited when I got your response!! It was a great read and when you mentioned the names of the twins, I knew that my Dad had mentioned their names previously, but he wasn’t sure where they fitted in with the family. Now we know!! It was really great to hear from you and I couldn’t wait to tell my Dad! I phoned him up as I was printing off your letter and told him to put the kettle on as I had some news! He was thrilled with the news from yourself and a few things in your note rang a bell with him.

Your grandmother Thomas Lee was indeed my Dad’s uncle, which to tell you the truth we only discovered he had just over a month ago! So your Mum is my Dad’s cousin! BRILLIANT!! My Dad has always talked about wanting to know more about his family but never got round to it. Anyway, I had some time off work so I decided to go up to Edinburgh with him to the Records Office there to do some research. We spent 2 days there and we were amazed at how many uncles and aunts my Dad had! – both on his mother’s side and his father’s side. It was one discovery after another!! Well worth the trip.

Anyway, you will have seen from my note on the Genealogy site the details I know of my Dad’s mother’s siblings. We seemed to draw a complete blank on Thomas, Gracie (or Grace as she was known) and Letitia. We found out their date of births but that was all. We did see that Sarah Johnston Lee got married to a Robert Welsh and we also saw her death certificate. Do you know anything about Letitia Lee and Sarah Johnston Lee? Did you know about them before you saw my plea for help on the website? When my Dad read that Thomas & Grace settled in Toledo, Ohio, it meant something to him. He just didn’t know why, so it was great to know more about it from you. You mentioned that someone had been affected by the war (he was in the Navy) – I don’t know whether you meant Thomas or his father, Alexander? I’m afraid the Roy family doesn’t fit into the Lee family side, as far as I know, so I can’t help you there. What a great find you found in the box of documents etc from your Uncle Tom. This family tree research is very addictive. It would be great to know more – more for my Dad’s sake.

I’d love to tell you more about the family of Thomas Lee’s sister (Isabella Ingram Lee). Did your grandfather ever mention her name? If you have an email address, it would be great to swap stories and any family tree info we both have.

My Dad wanted to write a separate note to you but it’s too long to add to this note, so I’ll have to send it separately!!

Best wishes, Jeanette
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 04-03-2020 at 9:06 PM. Reason: Removed names of living people in accordance with our current T&Cs.

Jeanette63

It was amazing to hear from you and I am so glad that you decided to get in touch. It was only just recently that I decided, along with my family, to finally DO something about researching my family tree, rather than, as is the past, just talk about doing it! It was amazing to hear about Grace and particularly about the twins, names in my memory from the distant past.

It would be great to hear from you again with any more family history/stories that you or your mother may have. Hearing from you has really made my day!

All the best, Neil
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 04-03-2020 at 9:05 PM. Reason: Removed names of livng people in accordance with our current T&Cs.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default update

HI,
    My grandmother was Dolores she passed in feb. 2015 . She did have a twin sister,Doris who passed in 1971. They did have a brother, D Haskell and he resides in Astoria,Oregon where he and his wife still resides.
    Last edited by christanel; 25-02-2020 at 1:36 AM. Reason: names of living people disguised deleted as per our T&C's