Fordy

Default Thomas Cooper in 1851

This is my 3xg-grandfather and after 8 years of research I know quite a lot about him. I have copies of documents from a number of court cases he was involved in, newspaper cuttings, obit, will etc... The house he built and lived in until his death still stands - it is a magnificent pile. Unfortunatley it isn't in the family anymore!

The only other piece of the jigsaw I have been unable to unravel is where he was on census night in 1851. His wife & children were at home - but he wasn't.

If anyone fancies a challenge? Where is he in 1851??

Living in Congleton, Cheshire 1845 till death in 1904.

Thomas Cooper (Solicitor/Attorney), born Knighton, Staffordshire. Age in 1851 would have been 31. I have him in 1841 (Tunstall, Staffs -with his uncle William Cooper, also a solicitor), 1861-1901 (at home).

Thomas Cooper was a descendent of an old family of Staffordshire yeomen, being the son of the late Mr George Cooper, farmer and maltster of
    Madeley, Staffordshire, where he was born on August 28th 1819. One of the oldest inhabitants of Congleton when he died. Married twice, he had
    13 children.

1st wife. Marianne PARKER (1827-1858) Born Hereford. Buried St. Peter's.
    2nd wife. Jane Goulborne (1840-1893) Born Newark, Notts.

Obituary of Thomas Cooper (1819-1904) of Mossley House, Congleton

CONGLETON'S OLDEST SOLICITOR

On Sunday morning last death terminated a remarkable career, and removed from our midst a familiar figure, and a well read gentleman, one of the
    oldest inhabitants of the Borough, in the person of Mr. Thomas Cooper of Mossley House, Congleton.

Mr. Thomas Cooper was a descendant of an old family of Staffordshire yeomen, being the son of the late Mr. George Cooper, farmer and maltster,
    of Madeley, Staffordshire, where he was born on August 28th 1819. He was educated at a small Grammar School at Newcastle-under-Lyme, where the
    domine was a Mr. Robey. To attend this academy Mr. Cooper had to walk from Madeley to Newcastle each morning and back again each evening, and he thus doubtless laid the foundation of a constitution of such capability of endurance and energy that up to the time of his death he was able to
    walk from Biddulph to Congleton.
    On leaving school. Mr. Cooper served articles with his uncle, Mr. William Cooper, solicitor, of Tunstall, and was himself admitted as a
    solicitor in 1844. Shortly afterwards he came to Congleton, and opened an office on Swan Bank. His forensic talents, and great ability as a
    pleader, backed by a most retentive memory, quickly brought him to the forefront of his profession, and for upwards of two generations he was
    looked upon as one of the smartest advocates in the district, and his services were in such request that his figure was well known in the halls
    of jurisdiction for many miles round Congleton. In 1868 he was appointed a perpetual Commissioner. But it was in the County Court practice that
    his ability was principally exhibited and he gained the greatest renown. For many many years scarcely a County Court was held in Congleton that
    his voice was not heard, and it was his proud boast that he had practised before every Judge on the Congleton circuit from the appointment of
    the first Judge: His Honour Judge Yates, Judge Thomas Hughes, Judge Yate Lee, and Judge Reginald Brown, K.C, besides several Judges appointed
    pro tem to fill vacancies.

Throughout his life Mr. Cooper was a staunch Liberal in politics, and was for years an energetic supporter of the party. Shortly after taking up
    his residence in Congleton he took a prominent part in municipal affairs during the stormy times that followed the passing of the Municipal
    Corporations Act of 1838. He was first elected to the Town Council in April 1848 until 1850. He then retired, but was again elected to the
    Council in 1861 to 1863, and in 1867 to 1873. On November 1st 1879 he was again elected to the Town Council as a representative of the North
    Ward, in the place of the late Mr. G. H. Cockbain, with the late Mr. T. G. Sheldon as his confrére. At the November elections in 1882 he and Mr.
    Sheldon were re-elected for the North Ward without a contest. In November 1883, though still a Councillor, Mr. Cooper attained the highest
    municipal honour of being elected the Mayor of the Borough, and on the death of Dr. Beales, in February 1884, he was elected an Alderman, and as
    such continued a member of the Town Council until 1889, when he finally retired from municipal affairs.

Though a busy man throughout the greater part of his life, Mr. Cooper still found time for recreative pursuits. He was always a great reader
    and, being possessed of an excellent memory, he was ever a most entertaining companion and friend. He was an antiquarian, who took a great
    interest in the study of geology and archaeology, and many learned and instructive contributions from his pen have from time to time appeared in
    the press.

salcat

Could this be him?

HO107/2171 fol 559 p28

Thomas Cooper, age 31, married, Attorney at Law, Visitor

in the house of Henry Cutter, Law Stationer (?) of Chester with 2 other attorneys and an attorneys clerk, (and all the Cutter family)

The only fly in the ointment is his birthplace, which A** have transcribed as Wighton, Shropshire, BUT I cant find anywhere on the map with that name, and on the original it could easily be Nighton, which seems uncannily close to Knighton, so as you are close to the county boundary???

hth

Sally

Fordy

Quote Originally Posted by salcat View Post
    Could this be him?

HO107/2171 fol 559 p28

Thomas Cooper, age 31, married, Attorney at Law, Visitor

in the house of Henry Cutter, Law Stationer (?) of Chester with 2 other attorneys and an attorneys clerk, (and all the Cutter family)

The only fly in the ointment is his birthplace, which A** have transcribed as Wighton, Shropshire, BUT I cant find anywhere on the map with that name, and on the original it could easily be Nighton, which seems uncannily close to Knighton, so as you are close to the county boundary???

hth

Sally
    Blimey O'Reilly - it must be him!

Knighton is close to the Shropshire border, so for A****y that is a pretty good transcription!

Now then - where did I put my disks. :-)

Thank you so much.

Fordy

Just in case anyone can link to me (poor souls!) - here are the children.
    I probably have a bit more on some of them, my updated files are locked away under a mountain of other stuff. With all those family related 'middle names' it was certainly a lot easier than most to research.

1. Marianne PARKER (1827-1858)
    1. Fanny Gothen COOPER (25th March 1845 - 1920's?Leeds ) - Married John Pointon FORD 1865
    2. Suzette Hope COOPER (19 Dec 1847 - 20 Sep 1916)
    3. William Hemans COOPER (1848 - 1 Jan 1852)
    4. Ada King COOPER (1850 - ?? )
    5. Margaret Swinnerton COOPER (27 Jan 1854 - 12 Mar 1905)
    6. Anne Parker COOPER (1857 - ?? After 1904 )

2. Jane Goulborne (1840 - 1893)
    1. Thomas Ethelbert COOPER (1864 - Apr 1865)
    2. Gertrude Emily COOPER (1866 - 7th March 1884)
    3. Elizabeth Arrowsmith COOPER (1868 - )
    4. Edith Mary COOPER (1869 - 13th June 1898)
    5. Francis Meredith COOPER (1871 - 20 Apr 1902)
    6. Henry Goulborne COOPER (1873 - ?? After 1904 )
    7. Mabel Ethelberta COOPER (17th Jan 1877 - 11th August 1934)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Cooper

I am researching the two solicitors, William and Thomas and wonder how much information you have for William? For example did William have a family, a son Alfred who was a Major-General? Thanks

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I own a pottery drainer with this mans name and coat of arms printed on. It is an original victorian piece. I'm not of you are aware your family have a coat of arms or not. The writing is as follows.

Thomas Cooper
    Mossley House
    Congleton

It is in bright pink and is a really beautiful thing. I am selling it, it is local to me but I am sadly not a cooper. It was likely part of a larger set all customised to Thomas Cooper, likely a bathroom set.

My email is nathan.lindop1997 AT gmail DOT com if your interested in seeing it.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 22-08-2022 at 1:31 PM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Nathan,

Unfortunately Fordy is no longer a member of the forum - note the 'guest' beneath their username.
    When people leave the forum their contact details are removed from our database so sadly there is no way they can be alerted to your post.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

It has been 14 years after all. I'm sire they'd have loved it. I'll find a family member eventually to give it to