Mandy66

Smile Hickling family of Louth

searching for ancestors of Robert Hickling b1850's in Louth married to Olive Davison. Any info gratefully received

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Default Robert HICKLING in 1871

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy66
    searching for ancestors of Robert Hickling b1850's in Louth married to Olive Davison. Any info gratefully received
    I think this is your Robert in 1871 -- with his family at 55 [difficult to read but looks like] Janes Street in Louth:

Name / Age / Birthplace / Relationship / Occupation
    John Hickling 52 Louth, Lincolnshire, England Head Dairyman
    Mary Hickling 50 Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England Wife
    Robert Hickling 15 Louth, Lincolnshire, England Son Joiner
    Sarah Hickling 13 Louth, Lincolnshire, England Daughter Scholar
    Charles Hickling 12 Louth, Lincolnshire, England Son Scholar
    Thomas Hickling 10 Louth, Lincolnshire, England Son Scholar
    Leck [or Luck] Hickling 8 Louth, Lincolnshire, England Son Scholar
    Alfred Hickling 3 Louth, Lincolnshire, England Son Scholar

Source information: RG10/3401
    Registration district: Louth
    Sub-registration district: Louth
    ED, institution, or vessel: 6
    Folio: 7
    Page: 8
    Household schedule number: 48

This is the only Robert HICKLING popping up in Lincolnshire in 1871 in the data for which I have access. Hope this helps.

Trish
    Last edited by Trish; 23-01-2005 at 3:55 PM.

Mandy66

Thumbs up Re Hickling

Thanks for your help Trish. I'm sure this is right.

BobHickling

Cool Hicklings who moved to Illinois, USA (IL)

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy66
    Hi.

I have info on some who I believe are upstream of the Robert b: 1850's you asked about. Assuming the one of interest is Robert b: 1857 in Louth, he was son of William John b: Feb 1841. William John was son of John b: 1818. John seems to be the source of most of the Louth Hicklings. He had 3 brothers (William A. b: 1814, Thomas b:1820, and Robert b: 1831), all of whom emigrated from Louth to Ottawa Illinois, USA. John stayed in Louth and had 12 children most of whom seem to have stayed in Louth. for several generations.

More info available if this is the line of interest.

I'm looking for the father of the John b:1796 who is the father of John b:1818. He was born in Frampton LIN and moved to Louth. He married Mary Brown b: 1791 in Louth LIN. I'm interested both in who the eldest John's parents were as well as when he moved from Frampton to Louth.

Bob
    Last edited by BobHickling; 17-11-2006 at 4:17 AM. Reason: Didn't make the connection for John b:1796

BobHickling

Hi Amanda. Hope this is still connected. I lost my hard drive a couple years ago, and I was unable to find your email address. I don't know why, but it stuck in my head that we originally connected here and that you were Mandy66. So...

I was just contacted by a gal who I believe is a 2nd cousin of yours. Wanted to connect you if she's interested in pursuing the Hickling branch. She's from a Smith branch. Descended from Lucy Florence Hickling and Albert Smith.

Give a shout to me at hicklingATlavaDOTnet

Bob Hickling

P.S. we're getting really serious now about coming your way to take a river cruise and hope to stop by England and visit Louth. And my wife has relatives in Edinburgh that we would likely drop in on. Maybe Autumn 2016. We're going to New Zealand and Australia in January, so France and England are all that remain on the travel part of the bucket list.... :-)
    Last edited by christanel; 06-05-2014 at 5:22 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi,
    My name is PJ McCarthy and I am researching William Hickling, from Louth born in 1814. I have been in contact with Bob Hickling in Hawaii and he has been most helpful. William Hickling was a pioneer who helped build Chicago. I am looking for some more info on him. For example: What was his Father, John Hickling's occupation? How often did William visit Louth? (I know of two times) What was his education? Any help that anyone could offer
    would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    PJ McCarthy

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello PJ,

Welcome to British=Genealogy.

I haven't wended my way through the parish registers for Louth, but this baptism in the village of Legbourne (about three miles south-east of Louth) might be your William. https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=569090&iid=417326
    Baptism 12 December 1814, William, son of John and Mary Hickling of Legbourne, and John is a labourer.

Can't easily find a marriage for a John and Mary in Lincolnshire, nor can I easily see any further baptisms, marriages, or burials in Legbourne or Louth between 1810 and 1820. (Most of the Hickling events seem to be in the south of the county.)
    However, Louth was a centre of non-conformists and I don't have access to any of those sort of records unless they're on FamilySearch. I don't have time to look at the moment as I have a man coming to see me (more precisely, my broken central heating boiler ) so I have to get ready for him. I will see what I can find over the weekend.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Hickling

Pam,
    Thanks for your help. I wish I lived closer so maybe I could help you with your boiler. William was born in Legbourne in 1814 and emigrated to America when he was eighteen. In America he settled first in Ottawa, Illinois which was the connecting point for the canal that linked the Mississippi River to Chicago. In Ottawa he became a successful businessman, the town's first mayor, the President of the board of education and the founder and President of the First National Bank of Ottawa. He then built a mansion in Chicago and became one the city's leading citizens and helped rebuild Chicago after the fire. He would also love the research that people like you are doing because he wrote histories of early Illinois and knew many of the indian chiefs personally. He was a founding member of the Chicago Historical Society and he probably knew Abraham Lincoln as well. What I am trying to find out in Louth is how did a young man whose education stopped at eighteen (probably earlier than 18 because I know he worked in Louth) become so smart? What was instilled in him by his family, his community, and his school that made him so successful?
    Unfortunately he died childless and his widow married a much younger man named McClintock shortly before she died and he got all of William's estate. McClintock married a much younger woman and had a son. Then McClintock died in one of Chicago's first automobile accidents. Two years later his young wife died mysteriously leaving their six-year old son alone in the world but rich. The newspapers dubbed him the 'Millionaire Orphan'. Shortly after he turned twenty-one in 1924, he took control of the estate and he got engaged. Only days before he was supposed to marry, he died of typhoid. When a mysterious will turned up leaving everything to his foster-father, the authorities investigated and charged the foster-father with murder. That is the subject of the book I am writing. Once the newspapers investigating the source of the estate in 1924 saw that William Hickling was British, they invented a story where Hickling was some nitwit English country squire who had inherited a 'cursed fortune' that was the cause of all the tragedies. My research has shown me that William Hickling was really a quite exceptional man of great intelligence and high character. I know that he returned to Louth in 1866-68 and 1871-74. I am just looking for anything that can tell me what made him what he is. Your portrayal of Louth as a 'centre of non-conformists' interests me, that is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for.

Thank,
    PJ McCarthy

Hi PJ McCarthy

I realise your post was back in 2016, but hopefully you are still on this forum. I was fascinated by all the info in your post! I knew about William Hickling emigrating to Ottowa and being the first mayor but nothing about what happened to his widow and her son. William is my great-great-grandma's Uncle. If you are still looking for info please let me know, or if you did go ahead and publish the book I would love to buy it!

Thanks

Anne

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by AEdwards View Post
    Hi PJ McCarthy

I realise your post was back in 2016, but hopefully you are still on this forum. I was fascinated by all the info in your post! I knew about William Hickling emigrating to Ottowa and being the first mayor but nothing about what happened to his widow and her son. William is my great-great-grandma's Uncle. If you are still looking for info please let me know, or if you did go ahead and publish the book I would love to buy it!

Thanks

Anne
    Hi Anne,

I Just saw your post. My book is finished and I am in the process of trying to get it published. My research into your great(x4)uncle, William Hickling left me with great admiration for him. When I wrote the message that you read, I was unaware of two other trips that William took back to Louth. One was in 1847 along with his first wife Adeline. Unfortunately, Adeline passed away the following year, but he remarried in 1850 to his second wife, Sarah. She accompanied William on his next three trips to Europe.
    I am still interested in anything I can find out about Louth and the Hickling family that could fill in the picture of William Hickling. I know that three of his siblings, Thomas, Robert, and Elizabeth Hickling joined him in America. I am sure between the four Americanized Hicklings there must have been some correspondence back to siblings and friends in Louth. Such correspondence might offer greater insight into William, and there are questions that I still have about him. I would love to discuss all of this with you in greater detail. There is one particular mystery about William Hickling that I am trying to solve - maybe you can help.(That's called a tease) My email is pjmcc6955 AT gmail DOT com I look forward to hearing from you.

PJ McCarthy
    P.S - I have a lot of stuff on your family that I would love to send you.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 15-01-2020 at 7:31 AM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers