Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MS Access

Chris85

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    It would seem that each census entry per person is not being given a unique code in the underlying table structure. You have to constantly change the SQL commands and such like. (Anyone not au fait with querying would find this hard, I'm sure)
    Like me for instance lol. Those sentences went straight over my head.

I wonder as well whether I've passed the point of no return, with regards to changing packages. It would be too much information to copy across.

MythicalMarian

Sorry for the jargon, Chris.... Just take it from me, queries in FH are a pain!

Now, funnily enough, after chatting to you on here, tonight I imported my entire Gedcom from Family Historian into Access 2007, to see what I could do to mess about and write better, more useful queries - like you said, track down those who should have a census and don't etc. I'm in love all over again. The ease with which masses of data can be manipulated in Access is magnificent. And with one click on a filter, Access did what FH fails to do - puts everyone's census in order of year and flags up those who are missing an entry. I tell you, I had so much trouble with this in the dedicated family history package. I am going to use these two in tandem now.

I'm cock-a-hoop - and there is a great financial benefit to this exercise. It means I am staying away from paying for more credits on the 1911 census, which has cost me a small fortune already. I'm going to do some tidying up of both databases, purely to keep myself busy so I can't spend more money

kermie62

We all seem to be fairly competent computer users here but for the sake of others, its important to remind and reinforce: Back-up, Back-up, BACK-UP

You should keep a copy of your material stored on your hard disk or main storage device on a CD or a second storage device (burnable CD's are cheap and fairly robust) and store this away from your house. (No point in having back-ups if they are stored next to the computer and the house burns down,

You should also keep a paper version of everything you find or use even just as a screen dump and the important stuff, copy and pass onto family.

I had a friend who spent several years doing her family history and she inputed the data onto a wonderful FH program on her laptop computer. It subsequently failed and she lost everything including material from overseas trips where she had looked up data and inputed it directy into the comnputer without printing it off.

(I cheat a little bit with this in that I store a lot of my family history stuff on the work computer that is backed up regularly to a server elsewhere)

Chris85

Now, funnily enough, after chatting to you on here, tonight I imported my entire Gedcom from Family Historian into Access 2007, to see what I could do to mess about and write better, more useful queries - like you said, track down those who should have a census and don't etc. I'm in love all over again.
    Haha a convert

I'm cock-a-hoop - and there is a great financial benefit to this exercise. It means I am staying away from paying for more credits on the 1911 census, which has cost me a small fortune already. I'm going to do some tidying up of both databases, purely to keep myself busy so I can't spend more money
    I'm a cheapskate and haven't paid for credits. I found with the 1911 census the more you know the more it will tell you. You can still get who they lived with, where they lived, jobs, ages, years of birth etc for free.

Chris85

Quote Originally Posted by kermie62 View Post
    We all seem to be fairly competent computer users here but for the sake of others, its important to remind and reinforce: Back-up, Back-up, BACK-UP
    I'm afraid to say my back-up is non existent. I'm using an old windows 95 computer to store the info on which has never been connected to the internet so no viruses etc. It doesn't have a re-writable CD drive though, and only has a floppy disk, which is too small.

All of my paper is stored on a shelf directly above the computer.

I keep on meaning to sort something out.

hi johnzee I am replying to an old post 2008 but would be interested in making contact re your shipping database ( ships to NZ).
    I also have quite a largish shipping database on excel but looking at using access for this. If you get message could you contact me direct? [email protected] teecee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123