JillyNutton

Default West Mercia Police - Supt. Archie Lewis

Hi,

I'm trying to find out any information about my Grandmother's brother Archibald Lewis. I understand he was based at the Ross police station in Herefordshire in the 1950s. Can anyone advise me how I can find out more?

thankyou
    Jill

Geoffers

Records relating to individual police officers are usually either deposited with the local record office - or retained by the force in which someone served (or in the case where forces were almagamated, the current force).

JillyNutton

Default Thanks Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Records relating to individual police officers are usually either deposited with the local record office - or retained by the force in which someone served (or in the case where forces were almagamated, the current force).
    I know this is probably a silly questions but.... as my family has spread all over the country - is there an easier way of getting information from a Records Office other than visiting it? I could probably spend a whole year visiting different parts of the country - which would be lovely if I had the time (and the money!!)

thanks
    Jill

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by JillyNutton
    I know this is probably a silly questions but.... as my family has spread all over the country - is there an easier way of getting information from a Records Office other than visiting it?
    The basic answer to your question is - in most cases no.

You might be able to get some information in the form of facsimile copies by post or online from the likes of TNA - but then you'd need to know what you are looking for; or the record office would need an exceptional catalogue available online. The best solution, where possible is to visit a record office; you can learn an awful lot by doing so. Don't be taken in by advertising from a certain company that all you need is an internet connection and a subscription to their company.

I could probably spend a whole year visiting different parts of the country - which would be lovely if I had the time (and the money!!)
    I think you could spend an awful lot longer than a whole year visiting record offices, I've been doing so for over 35 years and I'm still not done. This is not a hobby for those in a hurry.

JillyNutton

Thanks Geoffers

Its also an incredibly addictive hobby and continually leaves me wanting to know more and more I often wish that I had a magic time bubble!!

thanks again
    Jill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Archie Lewis

Dear Jill,
    Archie Lewis was a relation of mine on my fathers side Harris/Nind I remember my Father telling me of him when I to was a young soldier, I too was a Gunner.

JillyNutton

Hi

I've gathered loads of information and photos about Archie and the rest of the Lewis family since 2008 and have also been in touch with some of the Nind family to - I'm really happy to share what I have with you. Archie won medals for bravery during the first world!

Jill