mckymjn

Default McKay from Elgin or only a shot in the dark?

I'm researching Alexander McKay who I think was born in Elgin in 1832. He was a coach-smith and appears in St. Pancras London in 1871.

His father was Alexander McKay and his mother Elspet Masson I think, though I've only traced this by following the profession 'coach-smith'. A bit of a shot in the dark, but I'm really stuck.

Anybody help? Please!

Quote Originally Posted by mckymjn View Post
    I'm researching Alexander McKay who I think was born in Elgin in 1832. He was a coach-smith and appears in St. Pancras London in 1871.

His father was Alexander McKay and his mother Elspet Masson I think, though I've only traced this by following the profession 'coach-smith'. A bit of a shot in the dark, but I'm really stuck.

Anybody help? Please!

If he was born 1832, it seems reasonable to expect that his parents survived to the 1841, and probably 1851 censuses, and even the start of death certificates in 1855, so that's where I'd start. Look for the 9-year old Alexander in tne 1841 where adult ages were rounded off, and see who he's living with.

Lesley

mckymjn

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    If he was born 1832, it seems reasonable to expect that his parents survived to the 1841, and probably 1851 censuses, and even the start of death certificates in 1855, so that's where I'd start. Look for the 9-year old Alexander in tne 1841 where adult ages were rounded off, and see who he's living with.

Lesley
    Well I have done that and found the family in 1841 and 1851.Also found Elspet alone in 1861 and 1871. She was Annitant in 1871?

The real problem is that the only indication that this is 'my' Alexander is the link with the profession of coach smith/ coach painter. I was hoping to find some more McKays from the area. I've only found ones sister - Jessy so far and only for 1841 & 1851.

Well I have done that and found the family in 1841 and 1851.Also found Elspet alone in 1861 and 1871. She was Annitant in 1871?

The real problem is that the only indication that this is 'my' Alexander is the link with the profession of coach smith/ coach painter. I was hoping to find some more McKays from the area. I've only found ones sister - Jessy so far and only for 1841 & 1851.
    I've had a look at Pigot's Directory for the area for 1825, and there's only 1 coach builder in Elgin - at that time Joseph Trokes. Interestingly, there's a James McKay, tin plate worker.
    I've a connection to coachbuilding in Elgin at the end of the 19th century through the marriage of a great aunt. At that time, the company was Baxter's. Of course by then there might have been more than one.
    BTW Did you search MacKay as well as McKay? The SP search engine can be very picky. I generally search M*c which turns up both Mc and Mac.
    An annuitant is a sort of pensioner - often provided by an employer or by personal purchase.
    Lesley

Knowledgeable and helpful

I dont know if you are aware/ have any of this information but it may help.

Found on moray.gov.uk

BIOGRAPHY DETAILS
    NM101722
    ELSPET MCKAY (nee MASON)

Surname: MCKAY

Maiden Name: MASON
    Forename(s): ELSPET

Date of Birth: c. 1793
    Place of Birth:

Father's Name: GEORGE MASSON
    Mother's Name: JANET KITCHEN
    Spouse's Name: ALEXANDER MCKAY ELGIN
    Date of Marriage: 04 JAN 1827
    Place of Marriage: ELGIN
    Date of Death: 06 AUG 1877
    Headstone Reference:
    Place of Death: 9 BATCHEN STREET ELGIN

NEWSPAPER DETAILS DATE PAGE/COLUMN
    MWN death 11/08/1877 2/3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LDS aka FAMILYSEARCH.ORG

ALEXANDER MCKAY
    Marriages: Spouse: ELSPET MASSON
    Marriage: 26 JUL 1823 Elgin, Moray, Scotland

The IGI has these children born to Alexander McKay and Elspet Masson

1. GEORGE MCKAY - International Genealogical Index

2. GEORGE MCKAY - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 10 FEB 1828 Elgin, Moray, Scotland

3. JOHN MCKAY - International Genealogical Index

4. JOHN MCKAY - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 03 OCT 1824 Elgin, Moray, Scotland

5. JAMES MACKAY - International Genealogical Index

6. JAMES MACKAY - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 20 OCT 1833 Elgin, Moray, Scotland

7. ALEXANDER MCKAY - International Genealogical Index

8. ALEXANDER MCKAY - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 11 MAR 1832 Elgin, Moray, Scotland

9. JANET MACKAY - International Genealogical Index

10. JANET MACKAY - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Female Christening: 14 FEB 1836 Elgin, Moray, Scotland

As far as i can see none of the above children info was "user submitted" and the marriage dates from LDS and Moray are not corresponding but it does give you some more to mull over !
    Chasing Caseys

Knowledgeable and helpful

Next page (to the one you found for Alexander) on 1841 census is

Piece: SCT1841/135 Place: Elgin -Morayshire Enumeration District: 4
    Civil Parish: Elgin Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
    Folio: 4 Page: 2
    Address: Milne's Building
    Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
    MCKAY James M 65 Pensioner Morayshire
    MCKAY Margaret F 70 Morayshire

Possibly Alexander (married to Elspet) parents ?

I will leave you with all this confusion as its late and i may be getting confused myself !
    You might get lucky hitting the "next household" tab on freecen finding the children as they may not be to far away if they survived.
    Chasing Caseys

mckymjn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Caseys View Post
    Next page (to the one you found for Alexander) on 1841 census is

Piece: SCT1841/135 Place: Elgin -Morayshire Enumeration District: 4
    Civil Parish: Elgin Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
    Folio: 4 Page: 2
    Address: Milne's Building
    Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
    MCKAY James M 65 Pensioner Morayshire
    MCKAY Margaret F 70 Morayshire

Possibly Alexander (married to Elspet) parents ?

I will leave you with all this confusion as its late and i may be getting confused myself !
    You might get lucky hitting the "next household" tab on freecen finding the children as they may not be to far away if they survived.
    Thank you so much. James and Margaret are names which appeared later on too. Though I suppose there are lots of James and Margarets in Scotland.
    Anyway, thank you again I'll certainly follow that up.

mckymjn

I read your first reply second and so I replied to the second one first, if you see what I mean. I must be older than I thought!

Anyway thank you again for all that. I'd found the marriage on Family Search but hadn't seen the Moray link. I hadn't seen the children either for some reason. Going to check on all that now.
    Last edited by mckymjn; 21-09-2008 at 2:55 PM. Reason: spelling!

mckymjn

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I've had a look at Pigot's Directory for the area for 1825, and there's only 1 coach builder in Elgin - at that time Joseph Trokes. Interestingly, there's a James McKay, tin plate worker.
    I've a connection to coachbuilding in Elgin at the end of the 19th century through the marriage of a great aunt. At that time, the company was Baxter's. Of course by then there might have been more than one.
    BTW Did you search MacKay as well as McKay? The SP search engine can be very picky. I generally search M*c which turns up both Mc and Mac.
    An annuitant is a sort of pensioner - often provided by an employer or by personal purchase.
    Lesley
    I'll have to look more carefully at how I got to the Elgin link. But I do know Alexander was given as coach smith on the marriage certificate of his son. I think that it was around 1868 that St. Pancras Station in London was built and it was 1867 that Alexander's son was born in St. Pancras.

Do you know if there was a movement of workers from the Elgin area around that time? I'm clutching at straws but seem to be really stuck!

Thanks again though for the help.