Thread: Camp Curragh

Mark Humphreys

Talking Camp Curragh

I have a a family member who died at Camp Curragh whilist attending School in 1866 His Name Is Alfred Humphreys 1855-1866 His father was John Joseph Humphreys who was stationed there at the time. I also have his brothers William(1857) and Frederick(1866) being born there, Where could i find either a death Cert or a birth Cert for either of these lads any ideas anyone?
    Last edited by Mark Humphreys; 19-09-2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: added to main post.

Reputation beyond repute

Try the military BMD indexes available on findmypast and probably elsewhere.

The military indexes are known to be incomplete and even if there's nothing there, you may still want to consider going straight to GRO.

Lilly

Hi Mark
    The dates you give are when the British Army were in situ at the Curragh Camp. When they left I believe that all records went with them. However you could try ringing the Dept of Births Deaths and Marriages in Dublin for advice.
    As a matter of interest there is a Curragh Camp forum currently in existance with some old (1800) Curragh Camp photos inc school photos.

https://curragh.proboards34.com/index

If no success just google Curragh forum by Matt Mc Namara

Mutley

I don't know if you may find some information regarding the Curragh Camp at Kildare here or here Worth a look

This forum thread regarding ordering certificates from Rosscommon may be useful if you click here

Good Luck

BTW. Do you know the regiment, mine, though much later than yours, was in the Manchester Regiment.

Lilly

Registration of Births Deaths & Marriages & Certificates for same are provided by the Superintendent Registrars Office in each of the Health Service Executive Areas.
    The Curragh Camp is in Co Kildare which is in the provence of Leinster on the Eastern side of Ireland. The address is:
    Health Service Executive Superintendent Registrars' Offices
    Eastern Area
    Lombard Street East,
    Dublin 2.
    Tel: 01-6711968 (within Ireland): 00353-1-6711968 (international)

For Roscommon, ('Connaught' Provence) it could be either of the following
    HSE Superendentent Reg Offices:
    North-Western Area, Markievicz House, Co Sligo. Tel: 00353-71-9155115) OR
    Western Area, 25 Newcastle Road Co Galway. Tel: 00353-91-546277

Lilly

Registration of Births Deaths & Marriages & Certificates for same are provided by the Superintendent Registrars Office in each of the Health Service Executive Areas.
    The Curragh Camp is in Co Kildare which is in the provence of Leinster on the Eastern side of Ireland. The address is:
    Eastern Area
    Lombard Street East,
    Dublin 2.

For Roscommon, ('Connaught' Provence) it could be either of the following:

Mark Humphreys

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    Eastern Area
    Lombard Street East,
    Dublin 2.

For Roscommon, ('Connaught' Provence) it could be either of the following:
    Thanks for that will give them a bell and see whats the chance's of finding things out!!

Marie C..

There is a book called "A Most Delightful Station, The British Army on the Curragh of Kildare"
    1855-1920 .ISBN 189825673X
    It available from Alibris.co.uk price £18.25. Also on Abe books or Amazon(I forget which).
    M

Joe90

Have you thought about WWW.Familysearch.org My GGM married a soldier stationed at the Curragh camp in 1856, I obtained a copy of the marriage certificate from them. There are five Family History Centre's in Tasmania you will find their volunteer's very helpful