sandrajgay

Default Yardley 1841 census Southwark/Bermondsey

I'm really impressed witht the calibre of help that is offered on this Forum. Well done all you well experienced researchers.

I can't find my Yardley family on the 1841 census. Was this just a sample or is it comprehensive?

Looking for
    YARDLEY William born Middlesex C1811 Head, Lighterman
    YARDLEY Elizabeth b C1813 Wife
    YARDLEY Elizabeth b Bermondsey C1835
    YARDLEY William James b bermondsey C1839

Found husband and wife at separate locations in the 1851 census, kids all accounted for

Thanks in anticipation
    Sandra

Procat

Hi Sandra,

Just had a look and could not identify them either.

It is comprehensive though you need to keep in mind that they may have been missed in the census, that the page they were recorded on is missing or that the entry has been mis-indexed or incorrectly entered by the enumerator.

Mutley

There is this one, looks like living with parents not wife and kids.
    Sorry, cannot read the occupation.

Class: HO107; Piece 694; Book: 8; Civil Parish: Bethnal Green; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 25; Folio: 13; Page: 19

MaureeninNY

I think I see them at:
    HO107; Piece 1087; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St John Horsleydown; County: Surrey; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 40; Page: 23; Line: 6;
    A*try has the indexed as GANDLEY.

Maureen in NY

Mutley

Well done Maureen,

I tried searching ' **ley ' but still nothing showed ,
    however I agree with you on this one.

Occupation is Light...
    There are two Wm's, two Eliz's and a new Jas.
    Right place, right time,

Perfect

sandrajgay

Thanks Maureen. I don't know how many different (mis)spellings for Yardley I had tried.

May I ask how you came up with "Gandley" Absolutely inspired!!!

Sandra

MaureeninNY

Hi Sandra,
    Thanks! Glad it's them. I noticed on the IGI that the children were christened at St John Horseleydowns,so I looked there for any James born abt 1839. GANDLEY was the only one that looked like YARDLEY...

Maureen

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Sandra,
    I have William in my family tree 1811 to 1851. I have his wife as being born 1811 also Elizabeth 1834 and William James 1837. I have Williams father, Thomas born 1777. I have also traced a Thomas Yardley Lighterman apprentice dated 1780 so I am wondering if this could be William’s grandfather although I have no information on him. Perhaps you could help me there? Many thanks, Jinny

sandrajgay

Hi Jinny, Sorry for the delay in my reply. If you are looking at Apprenticeship indents for the Waterman's Company, the first date is the apprentice's birthdate, their apprenticeship acceptance date is in far right column. Often Baptism dates were submitted as there was no way for individuals to check birthdates and they were rarely noted. Thomas the Waterman you are looking at is William's father. His Grandfather and GGGrandfather were both Edwards. Edward William Yardley the GGfather was a Waterman apprenticed to a Thomas Yardley in 1732 but I have no evidence that Edward the Ggrandfather was apprenticed to his father. I have ben unable to trace anything about Edward Yardley the grandfather other than his marriage and then the Christening dates of his children. I hope this help, Sandra

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Sandra, thank you so much for your response. It gets mightily confusing when they all had the same names! I have managed to trace a “Yardley’s Wharves « at Rotherhithe which was bombed during the war. Very exciting!