Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Default FOOT/DRAKE - Bere Ferrers

Looking for information about Christopher Foot, believed to have baptised 14 May 1743 in Bere Ferrers, who married Elizabeth Drake on 1 February 1773. They appear to have had at least 10 children.

If anyone has information about Christopher or Elizabeth, I would love to hear!

A while since I first posted this query - and I am hoping that some new Devon researchers may have joined!!! I also have a little more information which might help anyone with access to the Devon records - or better yet, these people in their own families!

Christopher Foot appears to have been the son of Christopher and Mary Foot. I had a very brief visit to the record office in Devon, but could not find any trace of a marriage between Christopher and Mary. They do, though, appear to have had other children - Grace, bapt 15 July 1747, Mary, bapt 3 Oct 1749.

Elizabeth Drake appears to be the daughter of John Drake and Mary Furman/Surman - the image was not clear. They married 7 Sept 1746 in Bere Ferres.

If anyone has access to the records, or recognises a name from their own researches, I would be grateful for any information!

Many thanks!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Foot/Drake

Hello Barbara
    Started researching the Foots but gave up as I am not able to travel to Devon.
    My wife's g/g/g grandparents were John Watters & Celia Foot who married at Stoke Damerel 14/10/1812.As far as I can tell she was the dtr of a Christopher & Elizabeth.Looks like they are the same ones as yours.
    Got some info on Celia which I am happy to share with you if it's of any interest to you.
    If you think it is the same family,I would be pleased to receive any inf on the Foots which you feel you might wish to share with me.
    If you wish, you can contact me direct at- alan dot mchugh at hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks
    Alan

Reassuring to know that old posts are read ...!!
    I think there may be a connection - Celia Foot and John Watters ring faint bells, but it is a while since I did anything with this branch. I will root around in my notes and see what I can come up with - and be in touch.
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain

OK – sorted out my old notes now – this is what I know about Cilia/Scilia/Celia Foot (all spellings seen in various resources):
    Her baptism appears on the IGI in Bere Ferres in October 1791, daughter of Christopher and Elizabeth Foot, as I am sure you have seen; this is a submitted record, and one which I had not seen when I looked at the parish register for Bere Ferres in the Devon Record Office, therefore did not look for specifically in the register. However, I did not find a record of a baptism of Cilia with the other children of Christopher and Elizabeth. I cannot say it was definitely not there, just that I did not make a note of it!
    Children of Christopher and Elizabeth who do appear are:
    Elizabeth, baptised April 1775; Kitty, baptised 26 May 1776; John, baptised 25 July 1779; Thomasin, baptised 8 January 1781; Thomas, baptised 29 April 1782; Richard, baptised 14 (17?) January 1784; Thomasin, baptised 2 July 1785; Grace, baptised 19 August 1787; Richard Humphrey, baptised 1 April 1789; Martha, baptised 12 May 1793
    My interest is in Martha – she married John Dinnis at Bere Ferres in 1817, and they had nine children, the first five of whom were baptised at the Higher Independent Chapel in Bere Alston.
    I was given access to the original register for this chapel at the library as it has not been filmed (or had not been then), and there are lots of references to the Dinnis family and the Foot family, a number of them I noted down. The chapel register gives the maiden name of the mother – always useful!!
    Cilia Foot, married to John Watters (or Walters – the register was not clear), caught my eye because of the name Foot, and also because a John Watters/Walters had been a witness at the marriage of “my” Martha and John. I have no evidence to back it up, but believe that Cilia must be a close family connection to Martha even if she is not her sister.
    John Watters, a shoemaker, and Cilia (late Foot) had eight children baptised at the Higher Independent Chapel:
    John, born 16 March 1815, baptised 17 April 1815; Ann, born 17 September 1816, baptised 6 October 1816; Richard, born 21 August 1818, baptised 23 September 1818; Jane, born 14 December 1820, baptised 27 December 1820; Mary, born 15 March 1822, baptised 19 May 1822; Thomas Mark, born 5 August 1823, baptised 8 September 1823 – the address give for these six baptisms is Bere Alston.
    A further two baptisms - William Henry, born 13 November 1825, baptised 28 December 1825 and Samuel (illegible?), born 12 March 1828, baptised 26 March 1828 showed a different address. My notes suggest Plymouth – but whether there was anything else, cannot now say with any certainty!
    You may have all this information – if so, sorry to duplicate it. If you have evidence to definitely link Cilia to Christopher and Elizabeth, I would be very interested to know, as that would tie her into my family.
    Christopher Foot and Elizabeth Drake were married at Bere Ferres on 1 February 1773, and I believe Christopher to be the son of Christopher and Mary – as in my other posts on this thread. Elizabeth I now believe to have been baptised in August 1747, the daughter of John Drake and Mary, nιe Fursman, who were married at Bere Ferres on 7 September 1746.
    Hope this helps – I have not done much with this family for a while – I need another trip to the Westcounty Studies Library in Exeter!!
    Sorry this post is so long - if anyone else recognises any names - I would love to hear from you!!
    Barbara

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Barbara
    Thanks for the information.
    I must say that the IGI looks pretty convincing in showing Celia to be the daughter of Christopher & Elizabeth.
    Celia & John Watters seem to have had a 9th child-Elizabeth christened at Brook Street Independent,Tavistock 20/10/1813.
    You will also find many of the Watters children in the IGI with their mother listed as Hannah Knight but I think thats a load of rubbish.
    Samuel 1828 seems to be Samuel Christopher-another pointer to the family connection.
    I have a list of burials in Bere Ferrers 1754-1812 which I got from Dartmoor Press.A few of the Foots are readily identifiable.There is one of which you may not be aware-Richard Umphrey buried 5/2/1785.I don't know but guess he drops into the family tree betwen the 2 Thomasins
    Celia died 23/10/1868 from Chronic Bronchitis.I don't know what happened to John Watters but Celia is shown as a widow in the 1841 census.The IGI says he remarried to Hannah knight but I am sure whoever posted this information has got the wrong John.
    My wife is descended from their son Thomas Mark Watters (& Hannah Roberts).
    Let me know if you want any further info
    Alan

Thanks for that Alan - I'll let you know if I discover anything else - and hope you will do the same ..!!
    Barbara

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi
    Thanks for all your help.
    Have you by any chance got any further back with the Drake's ?
    Alan

Not really - with any degree of certainty ...!! Plenty of speculation!
    John Drake, who married Mary Fursman, may have been baptised 23 January 1721 in Stoke Dameral, the son of William Drake and Phillipa. This baptism is an extracted record on the IGI, but I have not confirmed it in the register. William and Phillipa had a further son, William, baptised 24 March 1719, according to the same extracted records.
    William Drake and Phillipa Stockman were married at Bere Ferrers on 7 September 1715 according to a CD of Bere Ferrers parish records I have. I have not found William's baptism, but another researcher suggested his father was Edmund Drake. More work to do on this line - when I get the opportunity ...!!
    Barbara

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thakns again
    Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast