Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    davidcarca

You've certainly succeeded in confusing me!

I generally ignore other peoples' trees or what other people tell me, or at least use them only as a guide, and do my own research. It saves researching someone else's ancestors!

Start from what you know. The 1881 marriage - he may have lied about his age, not wanting his 21 year old bride to know he was over 30. In the censuses, living in Gamlingay, his ages were 30 in 1881, 42 in 1891, and 51 in 1891, birthplace Hatley. In 1871 he was 20, living with parents William and Fanny, but in 1851, same parents, he was 13, and in 1841 he was 3. In the two earlier censuses he was enumerated as Will.

Post 1812 Hatley St George baptisms aren't on the IGI which is perhaps why no-one has picked him up. Nor can I see his birth on FreeBMD, unless he is the William Hodson in the Sept quarter 1848. I suspect it might be as there were other Hodsons baptised in Caxton registration district either side of 1851 but I can't see them on the census.

It would be interesting to track down his first marriage - possibly Arthur age 2, son, with them in 1881 was from the first marriage.

Sorry, just don't understand your 1881 census reference. William and Fanny had no one living with them, although they were next door to their son Walter.

Anyway I'm pretty sure that your William was born in 1848, son of William and Fanny

My Susannah Housden was born 1849 in Hatley St George, and I thought to start with that she might have been the sister of your William, but she came from a different family. I'm sure they were all connected though.

David

mfwebb

I know you are looking internet resources, but can I just say that the County Records Office in Bedford is BY FAR the best and most helpful record centre I have visited. You don't appear to be so far away.

If you know the parishes you are interested in you can purchase copies of the transcribed parish registers going back to the mid 1500's in either hard copy or on CD -- you can order on line.

It is now 12 years since I spent a whole week there from opening to throwing out time and the staff were absolutely superb.

davidcarca

The transcripts all stop at 1812 unfortunately, but are invaluable. Hard copy is more expensive particularly when postage is added. The alternative is fiche which is not so user friendly particularly when you just have a 30x magnifying glass to read them with!

The transcripts have the additional benefit of the parish register having been compared with the Bishop's Transcript, with any discrepancies being noted.

I agree with your comments about BLARS - they are very good.

David

janbooth

Default William HOUSDEN

This looks as if it could be your William in the 1871 census of Hatley St George:

RG10/1577, folio 23, page 3
    Schedule 10, Cottage

William HOUSDEN Head Mar 58 Ag Lab Bedfordshire Wrestlingworth
    Fanny do Wife Mar 58 Cambridgeshire East Hatley
    Walter do Son Unmar 25 do do Hatley St George
    Will do Son do 20 do do do
    Elizabeth do Daur do 19 do do do
    Edmund do Son do 16 do do do
    James LEE Grandson do 11 do do East Hatley

Interestingly, I can't find a birth registration for an Arthur HOUSDEN/HOWSDEN c1879 in Cambridgeshire but have found a registration for an Arthur WAGSTAFF in the June qtr 1878 at Caxton reg district which fits in very well with the age given in the 1881 census record, so it looks as though Arthur may be Elizabeth's son born before she married William especially as his birthplace is shown as Gamlingay which is Elizabeth's home parish.

There is a marriage on FreeBMD of a William HOUSDEN in the Dec qtr 1873 at Caxton reg district and the other name on the page is that of a Mary Ann GOATS. There is a subsequent death registration in the June qtr 1876 at Caxton reg district of a Mary Ann HOUSDEN, so this could possibly be William's first wife.

HTH

Janet

sarahsmurf

Smile

Thanks all for lookin.

I rang a rellie last night about it who I found on genesreunuited who has enlighted me slightly on all the confusion as he'd had a quick look to see what he could dig up... but it is still confusing lol.

He's found some info on I think this link and lines of other Housdens and he thinks what's happened on this bit of the line is that William got married to the 1st wife *I can't remember the wife name he said*, then William possibly ran off and then married Elizabeth a few years later in 1881 in that area but had stated he was a widow for the 2nd marriage certificate, when really he'd just ran from the 1st one. Plus he said he couldn't find a William to match as a father and thought that what's happened is he's got an uncle or cousin to step in and put that relative and not his real fathers name on the certificate, as apparently his real father might not have been wanted at the wedding.

It all is clouded with a bunch of confusion, mystery & possible bigamy, if that's the word. So until I can get there myself to the records office for a good old nosey & I find & get the right birth certificate for him I'll not know for definate wether his dad is named William or indeed his 2nd marriage was slightly dodgy and his dad was really called James.

Hi mwebb & thanks for the info, bedfords office is probably about a good 4 hour + drive for us due to traffic & us always getting lost as we've been in the bedford area before visiting my dads rellies. I'd love to go to that office and hope to go to their when my dad visits rellies again to have a nosey in person it's just me finding the time to get there as I'd want at least 2 days so sleeping in a B&B would be better as travelling there & home daily would be 8 hours a day otherwise with little time to be a good and proper nosey person like I am and have a good sniff round the place.

I agree the Housdens have to be related somewhere along the lines lol. Will get there in the end.

Thanks.

Arma

Hi Sarah

I've just joined this site after seeing your message. William Housden of Hatley St George, who married Elizabeth Wagstaff (known as Lizzie) from Gamlingay and previously of Everton, was my great grandfather. I have a photograph of him, taken I think soon after he became head groom at Hatley Park. Arthur, the son you and various members refer to, was born to Elizabeth before she married William - I understand as a result of her being 'interfered with' when she was working in service in a big house at either Croydon or Arrington. After she married William, the Hamiltons (or similar name) at Hatley Park helped them to change Arthur's name. Arthur's full name prior to that was Arthur William Wagstaff - though he was later known as 'Zaccy'! From my fairly limited research some years ago, I believe a previous William Housden (born either 1813 and at other times stated as 1816) at Wrestlingworth and Frances (Fanny) of East Hatley were William's parents. That William's parents I have as George Housden, born 1786 in Cambs (I think Wrestlingworth) and Margaret (surname not yet known), born either 1786 or 1789 in Guilden Morden (though 1861 census suggests she was born in 1782!). My grandmother, William and Elizabeth's eldest daughter (and Arthur's sister) was Fanny Elizabeth Housden, born at Hatley St George on 20 October 1886.

I wonder how you are related to William Housden? I'd be very interested to hear from you - though I'm so unfamiliar with this site at present, not sure how I''ll know if you or anyone else has replied!!!

Arma

sarahsmurf

Hello Arma

William Housden & Elizabeth Wagstaff are my great great grandparents. I'd been stuck in the mud with this pair as my brain frazzled at all the William Housdens when I was trying to find a first wife. I'm related through one of their children Edward David Housden b. 8 Jan 1893 Gamlingay, Cambs. Then through my grandad Edward William Housden b.1917.

I don't know how I did it but I get notified by email from this site when someone posts a reply on something I've posted on. I don't know if you have this set up also? If so you should get an email notify thingy. Not to sure myself yet on this site

Sarah.

Arma

Default William Housden

Hi Sarah

Your message came through okay into my e-mails and we are distant relatives! My grandmother, Fanny Elizabeth Housden, was sister to your great grandad, Edward David Housden. I know of him as my Mum's 'Uncle Ted', who was shot / blown up in World War I and very bravely crawled to safety from the trenches, dragging his wounded leg behind him. He had to have his leg amputated and always had pain in the nerves from the missing leg whenever their was a storm about. I'm sure you know more than I do about how he kept a shop in Gamlingay and used to travel around selling groceries, etc., with a donkey and cart. As I remember it, he married someone called Rose, and I vaguely recall her from my childhood. I don't remember hearing about your grandfather, Edward William - probably as he was a bit older than my mother, who was born in 1924. Is your grandfather still alive? I'm hoping he is and that he might remember a bit more... I guess Kath (who married someone called Gray) and possibly Cyril Housden were your grandad's sister and brother?

How much research have you done into the Housden family? I'd love to compare notes and know more about them but haven't had time to go further back. I've only gone back as far as George Housden, born 1786, grandfather of William Housden (who married Elizabeth Wagstaff). If my research is correct William Housden (married to Elizabeth) was one of 12 children. Maybe that accounts for so many people researching the Housdens! I have a lovely, though rather faded, photograph of William Housden, which I'll try to put onto the site - though not sure at this stage how to do that. He was apparently a lovely man and his ability was recognised by being made head groom at Hatley Park, where many of the Housdens worked. I haven't heard anything about him having a first wife. When I see my first cousin once removed, who lives locally, I'll ask her - as she know more than I do about the Housdens and she filled me in about Arthur known as Zaccy.

Have you done any research into the Wagstaffs? (Hannah) Elizabeth Wagstaff, born 1858, was a straw plaiter. Her parents were William Wagstaff, born 1832 in Everton, Bedfordshire, a brickmaker labourer, and Sarah (surname not yet discovered), a strawplaiter and born Gamlingay Cinques, 1836. William Wagstaff's parents were, I think, James Wagstaff, born 1801 in Everton, a brickmaker, and Sophia (no surname as yet) born 1801 at Roxton in Beds. There are many Wagstaffs in the Everton area, so researching them is about as difficult as researching the Housdens.

Look forward to hearing from you and any others with additional information.

Arma

davidcarca

There are only two Wagstaff mentions in Everton up to 1812:
    marriage 13 Jan 1812 James Wagstaffe of Gamlingay, single man and Martha Knott spinster otp. Witnesses Samuel Chamberlayne and Robert Wagstaffe. All four made their mark.

marriage 6 Feb 1785 Jarman Wagstaff was a witness for John Burgess of Potton and Katherine Barns otp

Taken from parish register transcript

Hunts Marriage Index has a marriage at Everton in 1831 between James Wagstaff and Sophia Ward - as both gave their ages as 40 in 1851 I think your 1801 is 10 years too early. James was probably born in or after 1812, but not baptised, if he was baptised, until 1813, as the Everton transcript stops on 31 Dec 1812. Sophia Ward's baptism is on the IGI, extracted, at Roxton.

I have Susan Housden born 1749 Hatley Sy George in my tree, daughter of Richard b 1818 Hatley St George and Susannah (Peel) b c1823 East Hatley. Richard's parents were George and Peggy (Margaret), although I haven't researched these as gthey're getting a bit remote - Susan Housden married my g gt uncle Samuel Ford in 1870

David

sarahsmurf

Hi Arma

I don’t know that much yet other than the little dad says he could remember as he said he was young, and through the certificates he has & the ones I'd ordered. I could get dad ask his cousins but he is only really in contact with one of them who is still in Cambridge.

I didn’t find out until Feb this year how Ted came about having his leg amputated after interrogating my dad and aunt. All they know is that he injured his leg in the war, then had his leg off later probably due to the damage & had a wooden leg in its place. Dad said he should have gone the hospital with him on the train once about his leg while he was visiting but slept in so never went. I have a picture of Edward & Rose together at their bungalow & I'll see if I can add it.

I know he did have a shop but my aunt thinks he had it with his wife Rose. My dad said when he was down there visiting he’d see the food get packed up and sent to St Neots market to be sold & sometimes go with Ted to see his veg get sold. I'll ask my dad about the horse and cart to see if it brings him back any memories

My grandad died in 1975 so I never got to meet him. Kath and Cyril Housden were my granddad’s sister and brother, along with Marjorie, Eric, Dot & Harry.

I haven’t done that much yet because I’ve been trying to get the hang of it all and got stuck at William’s actual birth year & mother as I’d managed to get his wrong parents...that was until I got his & the Wagstaff marriage cert & came across this site who seemed to find his parents easier than I did.

I ordered a copy of William Housden & Elizabeth’s marriage cert & that’s how I found there parents & it said he was widowed(not bachelor) when he married Elizabeth. Their parents were William Housden & James Wagstaffe I’ve got it scanned on the pc if you want a copy.

I’d hoped my dad had more info on the family & piccies but he thinks a cousin might have some info, but he hasn’t heard from in a good while and can’t get in contact with as she moved.

I’ve had a quick look for the Wagstaffs off the censuses and whatever I could find on findmypast website but got completely lost but will have to go look on my family tree thingy if there’s anything on there. On William Housden & Elizabeth Wagstaff marriage cert her father is showing as James Wagstaffe. The only thing in concrete I’ve got so far is the marriage cert in which was in 11 Feb 1881.

I’ll see what other info my dad has when I next go up.

Bye for now

Sarah.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast