Thread: Robert Aitken

Hugh Thompson

Wink Robert Aitken

I'm looking for the Aitken family in Scotland,they arrived Moreton Bay Australia 1855,aboard the Ship,"William Miles"
    but I can't locate them in Scotland.
    Does anyone have the 1851 census returns,or parish records for possible marriage of Robert Aitken to Elizabeth Blair.
    or baptisms of their three children
    The family on arrival in Australia were,
    Robert Aitken
    Elizabeth Aitken nee Blair
    Jane Aitken,born abt, 1848.
    William Aitken,born abt,1852.
    Elizabeth Aitken,born abt,1854.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give
    Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    I'm looking for the Aitken family in Scotland,they arrived Moreton Bay Australia 1855,aboard the Ship,"William Miles"
    Does anyone have the 1851 census returns,or parish records for possible marriage of Robert Aitken to Elizabeth Blair.
    Robert Aitken

Hugh.

Where have you looked?

The IGI shows this couple as having had 5 children in Saint Ninian's, Stirling.
    Jean 1847 (extracted, Jean and Jane are interchangeable)
    Jean 1849 (extracted, the first one probably died)
    William 1851 (not an extracted entry, but a patron submission, so required confirmation)
    Elizabeth 1853 (extracted and submitted)

Their marriage is given as 1848, St Ninians.

The most useful thing to do would be to look for them in St Ninians in the 1851 census. You can do this in several places, including LDS centres and on line at Scotlands People (where you can also get the parish records extract about their marriage). If you're really lucky, you might find them with their parents in the 1841.

Lesley

Hugh Thompson

Wink Thanks

Thanks very much for that Lesley,now I've got a district to look in I'll have a hunt through Scotland's people.I've only just found the children and the mother's surname this week,or at least I should say a 2nd cousin found them,up till this week all I had was Robert Aitken and wife Elizabeth and no mention of any other children except Jemima who was born in Australia and is my great grandmother,family rumors of someone coming from Stirling look like being true. So thanks again now that I know where to look,regards Hugh.

Mary Young

From A*****y (transcripts of variable quality)

This is the only Robert Aitken I found, but not, I fear, the correct family.

Roadside of Plean, St Ninians, Stirling
    Robert Aitken head, spirit dealer and grocer 45 St Ninians
    Elizth Aitken wife 39 St Ninians
    Jan Aitken daur 8 St Ninians
    John Aitken son 6 St Ninians
    Thos Aitken son 4 St Ninians
    Margt Aitken son [sic] 1 St Ninians
    Elizth Bown stepdaughter 17 St Ninians
    Robert Bown stepson 15 St Ninians
    Mary Bown stepdaughter 13 St Ninians

Sorry, no results from a quick scan of 1841.
    Last edited by Mary Young; 13-09-2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: correcting an error.

Hugh Thompson

Question Totally confused

Thank you Mary,I'm having trouble getting my head around this family.last night I received more information from another family member also researching the Aitkens and she has just received the "William Miles"passenger manifest showing"Robert Aitken, age 34 and his wife Elizabeth, age 25, along with their daughter Jane 7, son William 3 and Elizabeth 1. The family are listed as Presbyterians and all from Stirling Scotland.Travelling with them was Jane Blair, 33, listed as travelling with her neice.
    ELizabeths mother is noted to have died, and her father to be in Sydney, however it also notes that she has no relatives in the colony.
    Robert and Elizabeth were both illiterate.
    Roberts parents were Robert and Sarah

Mary Young

Sorry, I added to your confusion by listing the wrong family! The Robert Aitken I found was (a) the wrong age (b) wrong children and (c) probably literate as he's a spirit merchant and grocer.
    Alas, I can't find your ROBERT AITKEN age approx.30, wife ELIZABETH age 21 and daughter Jane age 3, nor Elizabeth's aunt, JANE BLAIR. Aaaaargh!!

Hugh Thompson

Wink Aitkens

Thank you Mary,but don't be sorry as this family has been very hard to put together,their daughter Jemima was originally thought to have been born in Scotland as she does not turn up in the Australian registers anywhere,now according to her marriage certificate she was born in Inverell NSW,why she isn't registered is a mystery but apparently it happens at times.
    I"ve searched for Robert and Elizabeth in Scotland for a long time now and never come up with anything that fits,family lore has it that some part of my father's family came from Sterling and some part of the family were from the Greig Clan,whether it was the Aitkens Thompsons,Frasers, Parks,Drysdales I don't know 'tho I'd imagine a Scot could tell me,regards Hugh.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    Robert Aitken

Hugh.
    You may have found the 1851 census entry for this family by now but thought I would contact you in case you hadn't. They were living at Cow Loan, St Ninians ( according to Findmypast). Robt Aitken, Head, age 40, a Mason; Elizabeth Aitken, wife, 27;Isabel, daughter 2;
    Wilm, son 0; Jean Cameron, step-daughter 5; Margt Blair, mother-in-law 45
    There is currently a long thread on Rootschat.com entitled Gordon Blair - Mystery? Or Not! Which contains information about this Aitken family. If you haven't seen it you may be interested in having a look. You may even be able to add to the research that has already been done.
    Isobel

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, I might be able to help you a little, Elizabeth Aitkin is my great, great grandmother, her maiden name was Blair and she was born in 1833, her father was Alexander Blair and her mother was was Jean Sproul born in 1820, father in 1797. Her daughter Jean Gordon Cameron was my great,grandmother. Elizabeth had another husband after Robert and she had several other children in and around Tamworth. Her daughter ,Jean married George Robert King, and they had 4 children , one of whom was my grandfather, my mother's father. I have the names of her other children, but I will have to find them.She was born in Inverness. Her brothers and sisters were, Grace, James,John,Margaret, Jean, Peter, Alexander and Mary. Hope this helps

Hugh Thompson

Hi Jennie, I'd forgotten all about this post, I haven't done any family research for quite a while, I did find a lot of info re the Aitkens and Thompsons from that era, I'm descended from Jemima Aitken and William Fraser Thompson (my great grandparents), Jemima's obituary is interesting, See Trove, Inverell Times 1929.
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...year=1929|||l-
    state=New+South+Wales|||l-title=904
    It wasn't till I found the obits of her and William that I finally worked it all out, I did know of Asmus Strandt Elizabeth's second husband, do you happen to know where Elizabeth lived.
    Regards,
    Hugh.