Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kingetter

Default John (Laird) STEWART - May 1782 - Glenquaish, Perthshire, SCOTLAND.

John (Laird) STEWART married Catherine CRERAR b: 1794 in Glenquaish,1818.

I'm trying to go further back with John's family.

The only couple I've so far found as possible parents are
    JAMES STEWART and CATHERINE CAMERON who had a son John Christened 19 MAY 1782, Fortingall.

Is anyone researching these STEWARTS?

Thanks,

James.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingetter View Post
    John (Laird) STEWART married Catherine CRERAR b: 1794 in Glenquaish,1818.

I'm trying to go further back with John's family.

The only couple I've so far found as possible parents are
    JAMES STEWART and CATHERINE CAMERON who had a son John Christened 19 MAY 1782, Fortingall.

Is anyone researching these STEWARTS?

Thanks,

James.
    The trouble with people with common names is that the target one is hard to pick out of the group. If John and Catherine married in the 1820s, you have a fair chance that one or both of them lived to 1855 when death certificates started, or to 1841 and 1851, for the census.

I see that they were still alive in 1830 when their last child was baptised, and that all of their children were baptised in Dull, Perthshire, so I would start by limiting census searches to there.

This would then give you some hard data to start on. You can search census, parish records and BMDs on Scotlands People.

It would also be worth looking for a Memorial Inscription in the Dull churchyard. Have a look at the Perthshire FHS website and see if anyone's transcribed the stones.

Lesley

Kingetter

Thanks Lesley.

In fact, the family moved to Canada and had son Duncan STEWART
    b: 1834 in N. Easthope, Perth, Ontario, Canada there.

I'm doing this research for someone in Canada who does not have computer/internet etc. Ironically, I lived in Perth for 10 years and visited Dull and area frequently but then, I wasn't 'bitten by the bug'. Ah! changed days.

I will work my way through your advice for which thanks. It would just be so nice if another member of that family picked up on this

btw, I spent 3 weeks in Den Haag, many years ago, much of it in Scheveningen and Madurodam. Loved it.

James.

Thanks Lesley.

In fact, the family moved to Canada and had son Duncan STEWART
    b: 1834 in N. Easthope, Perth, Ontario, Canada there.

I'm doing this research for someone in Canada who does not have computer/internet etc. Ironically, I lived in Perth for 10 years and visited Dull and area frequently but then, I wasn't 'bitten by the bug'. Ah! changed days.

I will work my way through your advice for which thanks. It would just be so nice if another member of that family picked up on this

btw, I spent 3 weeks in Den Haag, many years ago, much of it in Scheveningen and Madurodam. Loved it.

James.

Rats!
    Funnily enough, my sister in law has Crerars, but I can't remember where from. There's possibly something on the pc at home.

The only thing I have against Scheveninen is the lack of hills.... On the other hand, as a tourist trap, I'm surrounded be excellent restaurants.

Kingetter

Perthshire is I believe a "Crerar Stronghold". A Canadian Lawyer called David Crerar has compiled a Crerar Compendium.

This research is not my own stuff but on behalf of someone else. I do however find it interesting.

James.

This research is not my own stuff but on behalf of someone else. I do however find it interesting.

James.
    Careful! The One Place Study that's taken over my life got started because I agreed to to a bit of research for someone else.....

Lesley