juliah

Default valentine family tree

I'm looking for the family of william hay valentine, b 02 feb 1835 benholm kincardine scotland.He married mary ann smith 13 nov 1857 fettercairn scotland.
    They had 3 children in scotland (that i know of) before coming to new zealand. jemina ewen, john rae and james alexander. There is also george, david, adelaide,thomas, and my grandfather robert william who was born 4th april 1876 at manuka creek south otago nz.They could have gone to australia before coming to new zealand.I have yet to find the ship they came out on.Could be 2 more children also.

Quote Originally Posted by juliah View Post
    I'm looking for the family of william hay valentine, b 02 feb 1835 benholm kincardine scotland.He married mary ann smith 13 nov 1857 fettercairn scotland.
    They had 3 children in scotland (that i know of) before coming to new zealand. jemina ewen, john rae and james alexander. There is also george, david, adelaide,thomas, and my grandfather robert william who was born 4th april 1876 at manuka creek south otago nz.They could have gone to australia before coming to new zealand.I have yet to find the ship they came out on.Could be 2 more children also.
    The first thing you should do is head for the Scotlands People website for that 1857 marriage certificate. This will give you both sets of parents, occupations of the couple and their fathers, their ages and where they were living at the time of the wedding. Also, check what sort of church they were married in - Church of Scotland, free Church, or one of the many others, as this will affect the availability of Parish registers for pre-1855 information. Also, it should show whether the parents are deceased or not.
    SP is a pay to use site - but not expensive (and most of the money goes to support further digitization). 6 pounds buys 30 credits, then it costs you 1 credit per screen-full to look at the results of searches, and 5 credits to look at certificates, extracts from parish registers and census returns. Once you have that marriage certificate, take a look for them in the 1861 and (if they were still in Scotland) 1871 for other children, and birth parishes. If the parents were alive in 1857, you may find them on the 1861, otherwise try the 1851.

Good luck,
    Lesley

Mary Young

The IGI shows 8 children to this couple born between 1857 and 1868, including Agnes Wyllie Valentine or Smith born pre-nup. 20 May 1857.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juliah View Post
    ....They could have gone to australia before coming to new zealand.I have yet to find the ship they came out on.Could be 2 more children also.
    There is a William Hogarth VALENTINE (born Aberdeen) and a Mary SMITH (born Nottingham, England) having children in Victoria, Australia in this same time frame, but they did marry in Victoria 1867. (reg 2418). If your William and Mary popped in and had a couple of children it would be hard to tell - there are a couple of birth registrations without the father's middle name.

Children were not registered to them in Tasmania, Queensland nor South Australia. I also checked the online Western Australian birth index without seeing them.

In New South Wales, there is one birth in 1864, William H, with father William H, the mother's name is Anne.

ChristineR

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

There is this family in 1861 ...

Parish: Laurencekirk; ED: 5; Page: 3; Line: 16;

Name: Mary Ann Valentine
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1834
    Relationship: Wife
    Spouse's name : William
    Where born: Fettercairn, Kincardineshire
    Registration Number: 263
    Registration district: Laurencekirk
    Civil Parish: Laurencekirk
    County: Kincardineshire
    Address: Cotter Houses Burnton
    ED: 5
    Household schedule number: 14

William's birthplace is not exactly as you said..
    Name: William Valentine
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1836
    Relationship: Head
    Where born: Marykirk, Kincardineshire
    Address: Cotter Houses Burnton

Children..
    Name: Agness Valentine
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858
    daughter
    Where born: Fordoun, Kincardineshire

Name: Christian Valentine
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
    daughter
    Where born: Benholm, Kincardineshire

Name: George Lyndal
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855
    Relationship: Stepson
    Where born: Fordoun, Kincardineshire

They have 5 ploughman (relationship - servants) with them, and one visitor.
    Name: David Jolly
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1849
    Relationship: Visitor
    Where born: Marykirk, Kincardineshire

ChristineR

juliah

Default valentine family tree

hi all

thanks for replying i have been away to see my family in christchurch. It looks like they could be my family, but i'm not sure. I may have to do further digging to fine out. Its possible they left the uk for port chalmers in new zealand, but still trying to find out. thanks for all your help. kind regards, juliah

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Juliah, I am also looking for the family of William hay valentine & mary ann smith and as you said in your post there could be two more children born in new Zealand. one is agnes valentine 20.5.1857 - 16.11.1927 and married at mataura reg. office 31.5.1882 john Johnston 26.5.1853 - 26.11.1902 Would be great to make contact. Geoff Johnston Geoff-jATxtraDotcoDOTnz
    Last edited by christanel; 16-11-2019 at 1:52 AM. Reason: email disguised to deter spam

Hi Geoff
    Unfortunately juliah is no longer a member of Brit-Gen as indicated by the word 'Guest' under her avatar. We can't help you to connect with her as we do not hold any information or details for her.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I am also researching the family of William Hay Valentine, happy to share my information with anyone who is interested.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Juliah,

I am the 2xGreat Granddaughter of William Hay Valentine and have recently been doing a lot of research on this family, my great grandfather was James Alexander Valentine son of William and my grandmother was Jessie Ann Bain Valentine. Last week I was excited to be able to visit the grave of William Hay and his wife Mary Ann in the Northern Cemetery, not in great condition but in a lovely peaceful resting place.
    I am happy to share information with you. I live in the Dunedin area in New Zealand.